NYCFC v Orlando Postmatch

MOTM

• Total voters
  • More concerning in this game is that it was obvious ORL was bunkering from the 50th minute onwards
I agree with your post except for this 1 point -- it was pretty obvious around the 20th minute of the first half that Orlando was content to park the bus and make us break them down inside the 18 yd box.

I hate to be THAT guy, but I think people are overstating how well we played Friday night. Orlando's game plan of sitting back and parking the bus made it appear that we were playing better than we really did and the stats people are relying on (possession/shots/corners) aren't really accurate when Orlando intentionally chose to give us possession and as many corners as we wanted. Heath (and I'm sure the entire league) knows we aren't dangerous on corners at this point so they were happy to draw us in and then clear the ball anytime we got into the box -- they had 37 clearances (21 at halftime). Orlando's defensive mindset was to simply limit the dangerous chances they gave up -- granted we did create a few dangerous opportunities and it was a combination of bad luck/lack of finishing on our side and a few good saves by Bendik that gave Orlando the clean sheet, but the fact is that we had 12 corners and 67% possession with 16 shots (most of which were not challenging the keeper) because Orlando allowed it. Gifting Larin a weak goal in the 7th minute just played right into Orlando's hands -- it was a smash-and-grab job by Orlando and, although a risky game plan, it worked to perfection. The small field at Yankee Stadium only helped Orlando and I think we may see more of the same from the weaker teams that will not try to impose their will against us at YS.

I see what you're saying, but I think that we lost that game rather than Orlando won it. And I'd rather it be that way, because that means we are the better team and the issues are fixable.

Orlando's strategy was "try to limit us" and "hope we can't finish corners?" That's not "imposing their will" against us, that's hunkering down and praying for a good result. I hope teams play on their heels like that against us this year, because most games we are going to finish a few of those shots.

Reactions: Gene and Paul
On top of that, most in the league are bigger than the minimum permitted.

After watching some more of our away games and other MLS games in general, our pitch definitely seems noticeably smaller. I know there's not much we can do about the field, but it seems like a determinant to the team. I can't help but wonder if some of the missed passes or shots from distance are affected due to shrunken dimensions of the field

Pirlo has been replacement level. What has he done that is so special?
No, that's crazy. He'll be at the edge of our 18 yard box and float a perfect pass that lands in-stride at Villa's feet at the center spot at midfield. And he'll do that sort of thing 20 times a game. He'll dance around defenders and get away from tacklers while waiting for someone to head for an open spot and then he'll have the ball arrive just when they get there. Time and time again, all day, every day.

I'd never really seen him play before, but it's been a sheer pleasure to have him here and on our team. He plays the game the way the game should be played.

No, that's crazy. He'll be at the edge of our 18 yard box and float a perfect pass that lands in-stride at Villa's feet at the center spot at midfield. And he'll do that sort of thing 20 times a game. He'll dance around defenders and get away from tacklers while waiting for someone to head for an open spot and then he'll have the ball arrive just when they get there. Time and time again, all day, every day.

I'd never really seen him play before, but it's been a sheer pleasure to have him here and on our team. He plays the game the way the game should be played.
And what has been the result of that artistry? More goals? More wins? We have to play a caddy at CDM for him, since apart from one game he has been a negative defender. We haven't scored on a free kick since he's been here, where villa was doing decently at that previously. He's nice to watch, but either he's too good for MLS, or he's a luxury player that doesn't fit with the team.

Villa has won games for us singlehandedly. As the best DPs do. Keane has done it, giovinco has done it, Jermaine Jones did it at CDM. Pirlo has not. Maybe he will, but so far we have little to show for catering the entire team around him.

Is that the same concept as your definition of upstate, which was something like 20 minutes north of wherever you are?

Yes upstate is 30 minutes north or northwest of where you are till you hit Plattsburgh (6 hours) or Buffalo (8hours)
No explanation needed on my part.

And what has been the result of that artistry? More goals? More wins? We have to play a caddy at CDM for him, since apart from one game he has been a negative defender. We haven't scored on a free kick since he's been here, where villa was doing decently at that previously. He's nice to watch, but either he's too good for MLS, or he's a luxury player that doesn't fit with the team.

Villa has won games for us singlehandedly. As the best DPs do. Keane has done it, giovinco has done it, Jermaine Jones did it at CDM. Pirlo has not. Maybe he will, but so far we have little to show for catering the entire team around him.
Not saying Pirlo's too good for MLS. Ain't nothing wrong with MLS rising up over the years towards Pirlo's level though.

Also, he's not a striker. It's not his job to score goals but more that he helps others score goals. He's a playmaker, not a goal scorer (although I'm sure he'll get his share of them). The team is way way way better with him on it, and our young players will become better players simply by playing next to him.

Reactions: sbrylski
And what has been the result of that artistry? More goals? More wins?

If Clayton Kershaw pitches very well for the Dodgers over the course of his first 3 games this year but the Dodgers lose 2 of those will that mean that Kershaw is replacement level or that he is not a good fit for his team?

Villa has never won a game singlehanded. If he outscores the opponent it's because the defense also limited the opponent and the mids fed him the ball where he could be dangerous. Certain players (mainly defenders and goalie) can singlehandedly lose a game. But no one can singlehandedly win one.

That said, wasn't the Pirlo to Villa goal of the year last year in our win against DC? That was important. I'd wager we would have lost instead of tied against TFC last week without Pirlo controlling the midfield.

I get it. You don't like the signing. You think we could have a better DP. But the extremity of your description discredits your argument.

#mobilepost

It's advertised as the FIFA minimum allowed: 110 yards by 70 yards (FIFA allows 70-80 yards by 110-120 yards). However, a lot of visiting teams have commented that it's in fact much smaller than that. I think it was Matt Besler of Sporting Kansas City that said it's more like 66 yards wide and 105 yards long. On top of that, most in the league are bigger than the minimum permitted.

I read somewhere that before one of the games, the commentators marched off the width of the field themselves, and it was 70 yards. Might have been Taylor Twellman.

I think Tom likes being "that guy".

The contrarian who likes to lob some really weird statements in with his normally well thought out, well informed posts. I personally don't mind having a poster or two on the forum. It makes for some fun moments.

Or he's an incredibly terrible evaluator of football talent.

I like it. The only thing I'd add is Brillant for the aerial threat on offensive set pieces. I'm not completely sold on his defensive ability yet but figure he's at least evens with Hernandez.
This, this, this. I think Brillant would make our ability on set pieces 3x better due to a better knowledge of getting a head on the ball from a cross. Without him, I don't think we've had a CB (or any starter) that could threaten to do so from a corner or set piece. One of our only goals from a CB that I can think of, since the start of the club in MLS, was KWS with his laser shot last year (Still don't know how that happened).

Defensively, I also feel like Brillant would've been in a better position seeing that Saunders clearly wasn't on the Orlando goal, but that could just be bias in me really wanting Brillant to start over Hernandez.

This, this, this. I think Brillant would make our ability on set pieces 3x better due to a better knowledge of getting a head on the ball from a cross. Without him, I don't think we've had a CB (or any starter) that could threaten to do so from a corner or set piece. One of our only goals from a CB that I can think of, since the start of the club in MLS, was KWS with his laser shot last year (Still don't know how that happened).

Defensively, I also feel like Brillant would've been in a better position seeing that Saunders clearly wasn't on the Orlando goal, but that could just be bias in me really wanting Brillant to start over Hernandez.
Sometimes it's best not to ask how or why:

Reactions: Schwallacus
Oooh boy. I think I've finally thawed out a bit after being way underdressed. That was frustrating...but fun.

I think the most frustrating thing you can see in a soccer team is mental weakness. The kind that reveals itself in players lacking conviction or straight up appearing to not give a rat's ass. While at the end I was impatient that they were playing it around out of the back instead of hoofing it up as a Hail Mary, at least I get why they were doing it. It wasn't a lack of urgency -- it's just how PV has them playing. As they got the ball up the field they were looking for solutions, pushing for a goal against a team that had really contracted, and playing for a result. The fact that Orlando sprung on the counter towards the end in reaction to this is no surprise.

For the moment, I admire the way this team is going about things. The result wasn't there, but (nervousness and defensive brainfarts in the opening 15 minutes aside) the performance was. This wasn't one of those losses that stings for days. You can just as easily see this team putting a couple of those chances away. Now, if this is a pattern that continues over many weeks, of course I'll have to reevaluate my rosy stance. But for the time being, I feel there's a lot of positivity in the play.

Speaking of frustration, this was really a banner weekend for MLS refs gonna MLS ref. That's why I let out a boo at the full 90. Nothing on our guys.

Reactions: Gotham Gator