Official - 2015 Pre Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, Brondy is a team that has been playing together for a much, much, much longer time then us. We have all the right parts though. It was probably a good thing we didn't win, it allows kreis to see our weak spots and make sure we toughen it up for when it counts.

Based on what I have seen, Poku and Taylor need to start. This is what I would like to see as our starting 11 in the next friendly. Taylor can be a breakthrough player this year. He is dangerous on the ball and going 1v1 on players, which is why I think he would be best served in a 4-3-3 on that left hand side. Villa isn't the most dangerous in the air, so we don't need the best crossers in the game, just guys who are good 1v1 and able to free up space for villa.

Taylor----------Villa-----------Mullins
-----------------Mix--------------------
----Jacobson----------Poku-------------
Wingert---------------------------Brovsky
---------Mendoza-----Hernandez-------
-----------------Meara--------------------

Bench; Saunders, Williams, Facey, Grabavoy, Calle (or velasquez), Shelton, Nemec

Meara's gonna be out for a while.

Reactions: Kjbert
The way I see it, Brondy is a team that has been playing together for a much, much, much longer time then us. We have all the right parts though. It was probably a good thing we didn't win, it allows kreis to see our weak spots and make sure we toughen it up for when it counts.

Based on what I have seen, Poku and Taylor need to start. This is what I would like to see as our starting 11 in the next friendly. Taylor can be a breakthrough player this year. He is dangerous on the ball and going 1v1 on players, which is why I think he would be best served in a 4-3-3 on that left hand side. Villa isn't the most dangerous in the air, so we don't need the best crossers in the game, just guys who are good 1v1 and able to free up space for villa.

Taylor----------Villa-----------Mullins
-----------------Mix--------------------
----Jacobson----------Poku-------------
Wingert---------------------------Brovsky
---------Mendoza-----Hernandez-------
-----------------Meara--------------------

Bench; Saunders, Williams, Facey, Grabavoy, Calle (or velasquez), Shelton, Nemec
Lineup looks good, bit I think we will be playing the diamond

So now the Manchester pre-season games have finished. It's on to the Carolina Cup

Who do you think have cemented themselves as first team choices. For me it is these:

Poku, Ballouchy, Velasquez, Taylor and Villa

Other probables are Fitzgerald, Williams, Watson, Wingert, Grabavoy

I have left Diskerund out simply because I haven't seen enough of him.

I do think the Goalkeeping positions and Defence are the hardest to call at the moment.

These 3 videos should strike fear in opposing teams.

We've definitely got a lot of exciting quality on the ball. Now if we can just translate that to some more consistent quality on in the final third it's going to be an exciting season.

We're solid in the middle, hopefully in SC we'll shore up front and back.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
We've definitely got a lot of exciting quality on the ball. Now if we can just translate that to some more consistent quality on in the final third it's going to be an exciting season.

We're solid in the middle, hopefully in SC we'll shore up front and back.

I agree I do think the midfield is the strongest part of the team as far as the number of players w ehave available in that position. Having said that in Villa and Taylor we have two very good forwards.

It would be interesting to hear how you guys compare them to other strikers in the league

I agree I do think the midfield is the strongest part of the team as far as the number of players w ehave available in that position. Having said that in Villa and Taylor we have two very good forwards.

It would be interesting to hear how you guys compare them to other strikers in the league
No one is better than villa in MLS. Taylor was left unprotected, so basically given away for a small compensatory payment, by a team that had Charlie Davies as their number one option.

So now the Manchester pre-season games have finished. It's on to the Carolina Cup

Who do you think have cemented themselves as first team choices. For me it is these:

Poku, Ballouchy, Velasquez, Taylor and Villa

Other probables are Fitzgerald, Williams, Watson, Wingert, Grabavoy

I have left Diskerund out simply because I haven't seen enough of him.

I do think the Goalkeeping positions and Defence are the hardest to call at the moment.
Mix and Villa have been starters since they signed their contracts.

Poku has certainly played his way into the first XI in my opinion. Grabavoy as well (he was always likely to be a starter, but hasn't done anything to harm his chances). Williams has definitely booked a first team spot IMO. Taylor has also been very impressive and has outshone Nemec and Mullins, but he's not necessarily a starter yet. Velasquez and Ballouchy as well, very good but with Calle and McNamara yet to be seen it's hard to judge how much they'll play. I agree Wingert is probably a starter, even though he's been poor in these 2 friendlies. Fitzgerald is unlikely to be a starter but based on pre season I'd take anyone but Saunders. I don't see how Kwame has proven himself to be better than Facey, Mendoza, Martinez or Hernandez.

My pre-season XI (so far):
Fitzgerald
Williams Kwame Mendoza Brovsky
Poku
Ballouchy Grabavoy
Velasquez
Villa Taylor

My predicted XI (come March):
Saunders
Williams Mendoza Hernandez Wingert
Jacobson
Poku Grabavoy
Diskerud
Villa Nemec

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I have to say I wasn't impressed by Hernandez today. I do like Martinez but has he done enough to convince Jason Kries to sign him.

Of the central defenders the best three have been Facey, Martinez and Kwame in the two games I have seen.

If Brovsky can play left back then I would go with him at the moment.

It will be interesting to see Calle and McNamara. I have been more impressed with Ballouchy than Jacobsen.

Looking at your predicted team the only player I would be surprised to see start is Hernandez on today's showing.

I have to say I wasn't impressed by Hernandez today. I do like Martinez but has he done enough to convince Jason Kries to sign him.

Of the central defenders the best three have been Facey, Martinez and Kwame in the two games I have seen.

If Brovsky can play left back then I would go with him at the moment.

It will be interesting to see Calle and McNamara. I have been more impressed with Ballouchy than Jacobsen.

Looking at your predicted team the only player I would be surprised to see start is Hernandez on today's showing.
Hernandez only played about 25 minutes, very harsh to dismiss him based on that.
I agree with Brovsky (but Kreis will probably go with Wingert)
I'd say Ballouchy and Jacobson have been similarly impressive.

Hernandez only played about 25 minutes, very harsh to dismiss him based on that.
I agree with Brovsky (but Kreis will probably go with Wingert)
I'd say Ballouchy and Jacobson have been similarly impressive.
Brovsky looked better today on the wing, but he really doesn't get back on defense quickly enough in either game. I think Williams thinks defense first, but he shows off some impressive ball skills when he does attack.

Reactions: Paul
Taylor might be best suited to be a second half sub. Nice to bring that firepower off the bench.

I like Poku but I can't see NYCFC going with him out there and AJ or Grabovoy or Velasquez on the bench for him. You have to play Mix. Can NYCFC handle a 4-3-3?

So has Saunders just been replaced by Eirik Johansen?
e4719__Eirik-Holmen-Johansen-Manchester-City-Player-_2837732.jpg

http://sofifa.com/player/149656-eirik-holmen-johansen?hl=en-GB&v=15&e=157907
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eirik_Holmen_Johansen
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Teams/EDS/Goalkeepers/Eirik-Holmen-Johansen
*Eirik was on loan at Sandefjord until 30 June 2014 where he made 13 appearances.
(not any more?)

Last edited:
The Norwegian league is a summer league and they only play 30 games each. 13 appearances by the end of June means he played virtually every game.

I assume you rate Taylor higher than this Charlie Davies guy?

Charlie Davies guy? really? Even if you're not from the USA, you did watch the 2009 Confederations Cup right? If that poor guy doesn't get in a car accident, USMNT has a MUCH different 2010 WC, probably reaches at least quarter finals. (yeah the one where we were able to top England in the group stage)

But in answer to your question about his current talent level; he's never been the same after the accident, he might still have the skill but not the athleticism of TT at this time.

Reactions: BxLio91
Status
Not open for further replies.