Official Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I came here to ask, any DPs taken in the expansion draft will count toward our limit of three, correct?
We can renegotiate a contract after selecting a DP in a draft but there is no way we can get Cahill in as a non-dp player.

We can renegotiate a contract after selecting a DP in a draft but there is no way we can get Cahill in as a non-dp player.

Gotcha. Was excited to see Cahill on the list but it's irrelevant now. As an aside, disappointed they chose to protect Meara. Was hoping we could snag him.

Reactions: Paul and bierlo
Gotcha. Was excited to see Cahill on the list but it's irrelevant now. As an aside, disappointed they chose to protect Meara. Was hoping we could snag him.
I also like Meara, I was initially surprised when Robles was signed and took his place while he was recovering from his injury. Obviously, The Red Bulls see the quality they have in him. IMO, if we choose a keeper it should be MacMath.

There probably isn't a better guy to build a squad completely from scratch in MLS than Jason Kreis. Wednesday will probably be like Christmas for him.

Reactions: Kjbert
Without having much knowledge of MLS players (really have only watched RBNY games), would be pleased if we grabbed one of Luyindula or Eckersley. For the rest of the pack, I'd defer to basically anyone else on this board because they'd probably offer a more educated opinion

Reactions: Kjbert and USAfan6
Velasquez, grabavoy, wingert, Azira, berry, Opare, Mullins, Ashe, Macmath, gaston, remick, joya, salcedo, and McNamara (I had read the don't pick DC thing was a "gentlemans agreement" but if so maybe a trade?)

Velasquez, grabavoy, wingert, Azira, berry, Opare, Mullins, Ashe, Macmath, gaston, remick, joya, salcedo, and McNamara (I had read the don't pick DC thing was a "gentlemans agreement" but if so maybe a trade?)
McNamara would be cool because he is local... Nyack I think.

How many starters would everyone predict we are realistically expecting out of this?

How many starters would everyone predict we are realistically expecting out of this?

(11 spots - 3 DP's) * ~50% = 4?

I think that just like the Chivas dispersal draft, people will be a little surprised with how it plays out. I think after third round or so, cheap will be as valuable as quality, as we'll more likely be looking to fill out our depth.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot we can renegotiate contracts. That probably makes what I just said incorrect.

So if we didn't complete a trade with NER, then why can't we pick one of their players?

Personally, I would choose Mullins instead of Fagundez as I think one of two things happen with him - 1) he goes overseas or 2) he threatens to go overseas and someone has to pay him based on potential much like Omar Gonzales. Which is why they need more money set aside for instances like this

Reactions: USAfan6
So if we didn't complete a trade with NER, then why can't we pick one of their players?

Personally, I would choose Mullins instead of Fagundez as I think one of two things happen with him - 1) he goes overseas or 2) he threatens to go overseas and someone has to pay him based on potential much like Omar Gonzales. Which is why they need more money set aside for instances like this
Fagundez is the only rev off limits

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Ok but why? What am I missing here?
Revs gave allocation money to NYCFC and Orlando to not pick Fagundez and they agreed. Other revs are fair game.
---Fagundez---------Cooper------------Mullins
---------Mwanga---------------Luyindula-------
--------------------Jackson-----------------------
Wingert--------------------------------------Wynne
-----------Anibaba------------Berry------------------
-----------------------MacMath----------------------

My expansion starting 11
Mwanga is garbage, 3 teams plus Cosmos have passed on him. If NYCFC doesn't grab Grabavoy I'm going to be very disappointed. Penny Luyindula is old and Jackson is a basketcase.
Andrew Driver, Carlos Alvarez, Hendry Thomas, Danny Cruz, Jorge Villafana and Domonic Oduro all better midfield choices and all are non-internationals.

Without having much knowledge of MLS players (really have only watched RBNY games), would be pleased if we grabbed one of Luyindula or Eckersley. For the rest of the pack, I'd defer to basically anyone else on this board because they'd probably offer a more educated opinion
Eckersley is not very good IMO. He's had a decent game here and there, but in the opportunities I've had to see him in person, I've always left feeling he was a weakness. He plays too conservatively and fails to pick out some great runs by Sam.

Revs gave allocation money to NYCFC and Orlando to not pick Fagundez and they agreed. Other revs are fair game.

Mwanga is garbage, 3 teams plus Cosmos have passed on him. If NYCFC doesn't grab Grabavoy I'm going to be very disappointed. Penny Luyindula is old and Jackson is a basketcase.
Andrew Driver, Carlos Alvarez, Hendry Thomas, Danny Cruz, Jorge Villafana and Domonic Oduro all better midfield choices and all are non-internationals.
Definitely feeling the Grabavoy thing. He would be the perfect player to run the Kreis midfield. Maybe not the captain but obstensbily the captain

Definitely feeling the Grabavoy thing. He would be the perfect player to run the Kreis midfield. Maybe not the captain but obstensbily the captain
And very versatile for a midfield that may or may not have Lampard available. Also on Salt Lake is Velasquez who could also fit that mold.

Thank you MagnusPax MagnusPax

So the allocation money that have accumulated would allow us to "buy down" the salary cap hit of a player?

For instance, let's say the Cap # goes to 500k from 385k before you go into DP territory. Let's say there is an American player that we want that has a salary of 600k. We could buy down his salary hit to below DP level. Is that correct?

Why else would you use allocation money?

Status
Not open for further replies.