Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don;t watch Italian football, and have never really seen Pirlo play except in the WC. Is he really going to be that awesome for us? Anyone have any concerns?
I've obviously been trumpeting Pirlo, but I'll try to give a realistic view.

Age concerns are always legitimate. I'd have loved to have him years ago.

That said, Pirlo's main gifts are his vision, passing and set pieces. He has the vision to see passes that only a handful of other players in the world would see. Combine that with the audacity to attempt them and the skill to put them on a dime. I don't think age will change this. I suspect he will also have looooots to teach the younger midfielders on the squad.

He will need a strong DM to alleviate those responsibilities. I can't remember who posted it, but someone suggested a 4-1-4-1 lineup on one of the threads like this:

back 4
AJ
Mix Pirlo Lampard Villa
Nemec

I think this makes a lot of sense. Lets Pirlo work his magic without as much defensive requirements. And his magic is truly magic.

As someone who watches Serie A regularly, and is a Juventino, I can say that Pirlo is an excellent player to have. Yes, he's getting older and he doesn't run as much, but to be honest, running was never really his thing. His thing is his vision, the pinpoint passes, his masterful free kicks, his distribution. Pirlo is known for his passing, and that's something that this team needs.

Fair warning though, there are games where he can disappear for 85 minutes, and then you have that one magical pass or free kick that makes you forget about the rest of the game. He can, and often has been, a game changer, literally.

With the addition Pirlo, the formation will probably shake out (hopefully) to a 4-5-1 with Mix/Pirlo/Lampard as the bosses in the middle of the 5 midfielders.

I don;t watch Italian football, and have never really seen Pirlo play except in the WC. Is he really going to be that awesome for us? Anyone have any concerns?
My concern is that you don't watch enough football.
I think the papers are just feeding off the fact we have reps there. Figuring if they sign him we got this right and if we don't oh well he backed out last minute.

Trying not to freak out BUT THIS IS WAY TOO MUCH I NEED A MOMENT!!!
sam-rockwell-can-dance-o.gif

He looks pretty one dimensional at this stage of his career - he's an amazing distributor. But hes so good, that even just that one skill is enough to be a team leader on a Champions League finalist.

He doesn't do a ton defensively, and he rarely sprints anywhere, so he won't be in either box much.

Those distribution and skills aren't going to erode with age, so he should be able to play at a high level for 2.5 plus years yet.

The concern would be whether we can afford to play a one dimensional player right now. I think it will be ok, considering we are drastically in need of good distribution to the attackers. But everyone around him are going to be pressured to make up for his mobility deficiencies, which could stretch the team thin and tired (especially with Lampard also lacking legs).

Bottom line is this would be our second best signing to date, behind Villa, IMO.

so this is still in "lets see" mode all my twitter feed putting it as fact. everyone is quoting that spanish media article, so who knows then. i guess we may see something official Monday after the champions league final from NYCFC to make it official.

I've obviously been trumpeting Pirlo, but I'll try to give a realistic view.

Age concerns are always legitimate. I'd have loved to have him years ago.

That said, Pirlo's main gifts are his vision, passing and set pieces. He has the vision to see passes that only a handful of other players in the world would see. Combine that with the audacity to attempt them and the skill to put them on a dime. I don't think age will change this. I suspect he will also have looooots to teach the younger midfielders on the squad.

He will need a strong DM to alleviate those responsibilities. I can't remember who posted it, but someone suggested a 4-1-4-1 lineup on one of the threads like this:

back 4
AJ
Mix Pirlo Lampard Villa
Nemec

I think this makes a lot of sense. Lets Pirlo work his magic without as much defensive requirements. And his magic is truly magic.

That was my 4-1-4-1 suggestion. Yup, it gives our old men defensive protection, a target up top in Nemec, and lets Villa and Mix run all over the field.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Bottom line is this would be our second best signing to date, behind Villa, IMO.

No. This would be our best signing to date. By a wide margin.

This signing would either be the 3rd or 4th biggest signing in MLS history, behind Beckham and Henry. Maybe behind Gerrard, but certainly on that level. Forget the age, this is groundbreaking stuff.

I actually have chills reading the "confirmed" reports.

No. This would be our best signing to date. By a wide margin.

This signing would either be the 3rd or 4th biggest signing in MLS history, behind Beckham and Henry. Maybe behind Gerrard, but certainly on that level. Forget the age, this is groundbreaking stuff.

I actually have chills reading the "confirmed" reports.
CHILL, bro.
tumblr_inline_nfvlecjuyH1stiwu8.gif

Welcome to the club, old man. NYC's #1 Nursing Home is delighted to have you and Lamepard onboard.

Not happy with this signing. This team needs youth. Want to sign international players? Go ahead but can they be 28,29 or 30 years old for fucksakes?

SMH
I agree that signing young players should be key for future roster alterations.

But this is Pirlo. Dude has played an old man game for five years already - he doesn't need to move much at all as an enganche.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not excited at all and I am keeping my composure until I hear confirmation...

this is just me on the inside

index.php

I'd be thrilled to have Pirlo here.

That said, I'm a little puzzled why people seem to be more excited for him than for Xavi. When Xavi was a possibility it seemed like people were divided on whether he would be good for us. Just about everyone seems to be rooting for Pirlo though.

Is it because he is a more appealing personality whose career more of us have followed? Is it because he is truly a better fit for our needs? Or are we just desperate for signs that management is going to bat for this team?

I am a total Johnny come lately to soccer and watching Pirlo dismantle England in the World Cup was one of the first games I really enjoyed watching, whereas what I know of Xavi is more secondhand. So it's a little of the first and a little of the third option for me. But that's purely an emotional reaction. From a logical point of view, I really have no idea whether either Xavi or Pirlo are good ideas, and even less about why Pirlo would be superior to Xavi.

Reactions: danger and Kjbert

That said, I'm a little puzzled why people seem to be more excited for him than for Xavi. When Xavi was a possibility it seemed like people were divided on whether he would be good for us. Just about everyone seems to be rooting for Pirlo though.

Is it because he is a more appealing personality whose career more of us have followed? Is it because he is truly a better fit for our needs? Or are we just desperate for signs that management is going to bat for this team?

I am a total Johnny come lately to soccer and watching Pirlo dismantle England in the World Cup was one of the first games I really enjoyed watching, whereas what I know of Xavi is more secondhand. So it's a little of the first and a little of the third option for me. But that's purely an emotional reaction. From a logical point of view, I really have no idea whether either Xavi or Pirlo are good ideas, and even less about why Pirlo would be superior to Xavi.
Kreis said he didn't think Xavi's position was one of need, isn't Pirlo the same position?

Reactions: Kjbert

I truly think that Pirlo is a better system fit than Xavi is.

While Xavi is one of the greatest center mids I've ever seen, he's a perfect fit for that Spanish system.

Pirlo, though, is Kyle Beckerman on every steroid known to man. (And I say that having an unnatural love for Kyle Beckerman's game.) The Beckerman role is the key one to playing Kreis' 4-4-2 diamond, and Pirlo would fill that and then some.

I'd think Xavi would struggle more to fit the deep lying playmaker role, but that's just opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.