Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly think that Pirlo is a better system fit than Xavi is.

While Xavi is one of the greatest center mids I've ever seen, he's a perfect fit for that Spanish system.

Pirlo, though, is Kyle Beckerman on every steroid known to man. (And I say that having an unnatural love for Kyle Beckerman's game.) The Beckerman role is the key one to playing Kreis' 4-4-2 diamond, and Pirlo would fill that and then some.

I'd think Xavi would struggle more to fit the deep lying playmaker role, but that's just opinion.

Thank you for posting this. You and I might be the only two who think this. Kreis has said on multiple occasions that the bottom of the diamond role isn't about a defensive destroyer - it's about a deep lying playmaker. He wanted to Mix to play there, but didn't have anyone else to get up the field and create offensive chances - so Jacobson plays there.

No reason to think that Pirlo doesn't play there.

Thanks, drhoosier and KJbert, that is what I was asking. But I don't get the beckerman comparison - isn't a defensive destroyer exactly what he is?

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd be thrilled to have Pirlo here.

That said, I'm a little puzzled why people seem to be more excited for him than for Xavi. When Xavi was a possibility it seemed like people were divided on whether he would be good for us. Just about everyone seems to be rooting for Pirlo though.

Is it because he is a more appealing personality whose career more of us have followed? Is it because he is truly a better fit for our needs? Or are we just desperate for signs that management is going to bat for this team?

I am a total Johnny come lately to soccer and watching Pirlo dismantle England in the World Cup was one of the first games I really enjoyed watching, whereas what I know of Xavi is more secondhand. So it's a little of the first and a little of the third option for me. But that's purely an emotional reaction. From a logical point of view, I really have no idea whether either Xavi or Pirlo are good ideas, and even less about why Pirlo would be superior to Xavi.

The easiest solution I could suggest is to watch passing videos on youtube between the two. Pirlo can start something out of nothing with the manipulation of the ball. All he needs is space to get the pass off. Xavi relies on his intelligence to find space and keep the ball moving, called "recycling possession". The big difference is that Xavi could potentially not have been as effective because he'd be 10 steps ahead of his teammates in his mind. It's not like he can coach the team up either because he doesn't know English. Pirlo can put the ball wherever he wants. Whether it's the 4231 or the 433, we've had problems with the lack of transitioning the ball from defenders to forwards. This would do a great job in solving that problem. And since Mullins is a guy who wastes his energy making runs off the ball (which NO ONE on our team tries to find him on), I'd say Pirlo is easily a better fit for this season.

I don;t watch Italian football, and have never really seen Pirlo play except in the WC. Is he really going to be that awesome for us? Anyone have any concerns?
Tom, I'm in the same boat as you. In situations like these, I usually take my cue (perhaps somewhat naively) from the usual band of internet village idiots.

While surfing around I've noticed the Pirlo rumors of him coming to NYCFC/MLS has been met mostly with approval, because even at his age most everyone feels he can still bring it.......as opposed to the point and laugh reaction I've seen concerning Xavi/Drogba (you know, the "Retirement League" bull shit).

Perhaps not the most scientific way to appraise things, but it's all I got. ;)

Thanks, drhoosier and KJbert, that is what I was asking. But I don't get the beckerman comparison - isn't a defensive destroyer exactly what he is?

Good question. Is he a strong defender. But someone above spoke about playing out of the back and being the guy who links up play. Beckerman is very good at getting the ball from his GK or CBs and moving the ball up the field.

Reports that he'll be unveiled on Sunday.

Let's go, guys, hurry up and get in.
1386046783190.gif

Fair warning though, there are games where he can disappear for 85 minutes, and then you have that one magical pass or free kick that makes you forget about the rest of the game. He can, and often has been, a game changer, literally.
Works for me!

Reminds me of back in the day what they would say about Chinaglia. Or was that what Chinaglia would say about Chinaglia? It was a long time ago, but I digress.

They could mark Giorgio out of the game for 85+ minutes and all it would take is for someone to fall asleep for a second and the opposing GK would be fishing the ball out from the back of the net.

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't see how this can be true. Would love it, but don't believe it.

Same - but who is to say he doesn't get on a plane from Berlin Sunday morning and fly here.

If our guys are really there meeting with him - he must be coming - you don't take a meeting like that the week before the CL Final unless you are signing a contract. My two cents.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Status
Not open for further replies.