Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Not better players. More mobile. Most players wouldn't get better in midfield when they're paired with someone like Marchisio.
You are dead on. He thrives at Juve because Vidal and Pogba are perpetual motion machines, taking the defense away from him. Not 100% sure this would work at NYCFC. Mix is a willing runner, so maybe this would free him, I think he is tied down by the formation. Poku could be a runner. Jacobson is more box to box, Grabavoy is known for his running, and Lampard is talents enough to do most anything.

This could work fine, it could be an expensive mistake. The key is if it frees Mix.

That being said its Pirlo and he's a god among men so I am happy no matter what. He is so cool he sets the bar.

I recall Mix has said in interviews that Pirlo is someone he tries to model his game after, so could also be a cool dynamic to have the optimal mentor to Mix and really everyone.

And I think generally a marketing grab move would be a disaster in light of the talent we so desperately need, but this would be the exception where we could check both the marketing and talent boxes (even with the age).

3507929.jpg

Reactions: leilanikali420
I hate to say it because I would love to see him here this year, but I don't see it. Not yet. Feels to me like he isn't done yet in Europe. Hope I'm wrong. Drogba on the other hand, I can see. Not the best fit but on the other hand hard to imagine that he wouldn't help us score some goals. Beggars can't be choosers!

I recall Mix has said in interviews that Pirlo is someone he tries to model his game after, so could also be a cool dynamic to have the optimal mentor to Mix and really everyone.

Mix did mention that about Pirlo. I just hope it doesn't cause Mix to try so hard that it messes his own game / rhythm up. That has been happening lately because of the game plan. "Get the ball to Villa as fast as you can"...players don't make successful pass and they get frustrated and its all down hill after that. Intimidation factor smh lol

As much as I love Pirlo, I don't think he's gonna be a good match on this team. Yet, despite my lack of faith, I wouldn't mind seeing him play for us. What could he possibly do that is worse than anything else our team has done thus far?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
If it's him, hope he's good enough to make passes that our guys can convert in spite of themselves.

Oh he has the passes ! I am also 90% confident that 90% of them will be waisted because of our players. Pirlo catches himself off guard with some of his passes lmao. I watched at least 6+ plays the other night against RSL where the ball was passed , crossed etc and not one NYCFC player was there. They were also so bunched up on the pitch that I was screaming at my TV to spread out and utilize a large field

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Interesting. Pirlo actually started his career playing further up the field in a similar position that Mix plays now for the Nats. But he slowly dropped deeper and deeper as time went on.

Reactions: JayH
Interesting. Pirlo actually started his career playing further up the field in a similar position that Mix plays now for the Nats. But he slowly dropped deeper and deeper as time went on.
Huh, I wasn't really aware of this. I'm not sure that a transition like this would suit Mix. He plays better upfield.

Oh he has the passes ! I am also 90% confident that 90% of them will be waisted because of our players. Pirlo catches himself off guard with some of his passes lmao. I watched at least 6+ plays the other night against RSL where the ball was passed , crossed etc and not one NYCFC player was there. They were also so bunched up on the pitch that I was screaming at my TV to spread out and utilize a large field

As long as he could get one or two a game in the right spot for Villa to finish

As long as he could get one or two a game in the right spot for Villa to finish
This is literally all we need from a midfield perspective. Villa makes such quick, catch-them-off-guard, poaching runs, he needs someone to chip a back line or slide the ball through with a jabbing, single touch. Lampard will play perfectly with him in that regard, and so would Pirlo, especially into space.

Pirlo, if he wanted to, could control a game from deep and run less than Saunders. He's that good. He wouldn't, but he's that good. Mix as the 10, Lampard and Shelton in the central midfield spots with Pirlo playing deep. Lampard, Shelton and Villa making runs onto passes from Pirlo? We might even win a couple of games.

Reactions: JayH
If Prilo came I wonder if he would arrive a few weeks after Lampard since he still has the Champions league final to play.

Reactions: Kjbert
Pirlo, if he wanted to, could control a game from deep and run less than Saunders. He's that good. He wouldn't, but he's that good. Mix as the 10, Lampard and Shelton in the central midfield spots with Pirlo playing deep. Lampard, Shelton and Villa making runs onto passes from Pirlo? We might even win a couple of games.

Regardless of who DP3 is when Lampard comes I think he will play at the 10. He has been playing in a more forward role with MCFC, I think Kries will keep him there to save his legs and maximize his offensive skills. I also think Mix may want to play in the deeper role more defensive role he has been filling since that is the role Klinsmann has indicated he sees him filling on the USMNT going forward.

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.