Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After that episode I can't blame you or anyone for thinking that it is all to promote one team, but I believe in time that New York will benefit equally, as will the other teams in the group.

I am not talking in particular about MD when I say that you shouldn't get hung up on the position a DP plays. Just that whatever position and whoever they are, the most important thing is that the players adds the necessary quality to the team.
I just think that in an attack minded league like the MLS you get more bang for you buck if you use midfielders or forwards as your DP spots.

Reactions: Kjbert
I just think that in an attack minded league like the MLS you get more bang for you buck if you use midfielders or forwards as your DP spots.

Well I have no idea about the league, so I will go with your judgement. From what I have seen then the defence looks the part that needs strengthening the most at this time. That may change when the season kicks off and the defence may look quite solid.

Reactions: Kubah
Well I have no idea about the league, so I will go with your judgement. From what I have seen then the defence looks the part that needs strengthening the most at this time. That may change when the season kicks off and the defence may look quite solid.
In MLS, midseason additions and defensive DPs are typical fails.

In MLS, midseason additions and defensive DPs are typical fails.

To tell you the truth Tom it is mostly the same in our league as well. That is why it is important to get your squad right at the start of the season.

For all I know we may have the best defence in the league. It is just my opinion that we look stronger in midfield and up front. So if we do have the best defence then it will mean a very good season lies ahead.

Is anyone here an NFL fan? Why is it that offense has to win in MLS?

For a long time, defense won in the NFL. You had historically dominant defenses like the Ravens and Tampa Bay Bucs win Super Bowls with middling Quarterback play but impeccable defenses.

Then it was all about a wide open offense. Green Bay won. Indy won. The Saints won. Great QBs with average defenses. Look at the last two years. Seahawks D was spectacular. Average QB.

What I'm saying is that who is to say a Defensive DP isn't exactly what this team should be acquiring? Why emulate Seattle or LA and try to buy more firepower? Change the established norms of the league.

I think using football to compare to soccer doesn't work for the argument. In the NFL, or football in general, the defense can score points that can win teams games, or can put the offense in a position where they'd have to be completely incompetent not to score by forcing turnovers. Additionally, even the worst offenses in the league tend to score once or twice in a game. In soccer, the defense can't score no matter how good it is. Tactically, I also think it's easier to keep opponents from scoring with a "bad" defense than it is to score with a "bad" offense, as scoring is difficult to begin with.

For arguments sake, lets say a team focused completely on defense first in MLS with DPs. There's a good chance they'd keep a lot of clean sheets, but if they can't score with a mediocre attack (which is probable) it results in a ton of draws. While keeping a clean sheet and hoping to find a single goal to win might be a great strategy in the playoffs, or another knockout competition like smaller teams try in the FA Cup, for the regular season, it might not earn enough points to even qualify for the playoffs, like Chicago last year.

For us, though, I think we need to focus on the roster we already have. Conventional wisdom we have a pretty strong attack, headlined by Villa, with a bunch of other good, but not great players. Our midfield is considered a strength, and many would say is top half of the league at worst. The defense, though, is questionable, and without Meara many have doubts about the keeper position. So the question is, does making a substantial improvement to our defense at one position, be it DDR or someone like him at CDM, DeMichelis at CB, or a quality GK, give us a better chance of winning matches than making a smaller upgrade at an attacking position, such as a forward to pair with Villa or someone else in the midfield.

I'd put the order of need for us like this assuming our 3rd DP is a well above average MLS player.
CDM
ST
CB
GK
LB/RB
MID

If a well above average CDM is not available on the market, we move to the forward position, if we can't find a well above average forward, we move on to CB and so on. Basically, instead of compromising the quality of the player to make him play an attacking position, I think we need to get a very good player that fits our need most. If DDR, a player like him, or a class forward isn't available, then I have no problem signing DeMichelis unless our needs change. In fact, I'd rather sign DeMichelis than make a minor upgrade at forward or in the midfield by signing a less than well above average player.

Reactions: sbrylski
I see nothing wrong with using a DP spot on a defender. Defense is the weakest part of the team right now. I feel that our midfield is already strong and there is no shortage of forwards. Demichelis would bring experience and organization to the back line. He is very composed playing the ball out of the back, which is what Kreis had the guys attempting in the 2 friendlies.

Too bad Portland got Nat Borchers from RSL, thats someone that Kreis would have loved to organizae his defense and would not have costed a DP.

Sadly, Aurellin Collin now at Orlando would also been a good anchor for the defense. Smart-wise, I think Jason Hernandez can do the job, he has been a club captain and is a smart defender. Not sure though if he still has the ability to be a starter and leader for this young defense.

At this point, Kreis will look for in-league or NASL/USL additions to start the season. I would be shocked, with 3 weeks until the season starts, that they add a DP.

It's too bad Winston Reid doesn't have any family in NYC. And there weren't EPL teams lining up to pay him millions (and salivating about a free summer transfer).

I'd put the order of need for us like this assuming our 3rd DP is a well above average MLS player.
CDM
ST
CB
GK
LB/RB
MID

My only alteration is that I would change ST to ST/CAM. CAM can do more for the attack than a second finisher. I think we only have two true CAM on the squad, Velasquez and McNamara. Velasquez has been solid, but McNamara hasn't played. I don't think Mix has a true CAM mentality, nor do I think his skillset is best utilized in the position. He's box-to-box.

There's a 95% chance more DP slots are added with the new CBA. Even though midfield appears to be a strong position for us, I think adding two players like (but probably not these guys) Di Rossi and Wes Sneijder will leverage those DP spots best. Our depth would go:

CAM: Sneijder, Velasquez, McNamara
LCM/RCM: Mix, Lampard, Grabavoy, Calle
CDM: Di Rossi, Jacobson, Poku

Crowded? Yes. So what? We'll have possession 75% of the time with that midfield, and average 3 goals a game. Lampard won't be around long, and Jacobson/Poku are good not great, despite the latter's potential. Depth is good.

Then again, you can also do Demichelis and a striker like Gilardino, and achieve balance that way.

Long story short, I'll take a dominant midfield over anything.

Does there have to be an agreement on the CBA before the season starts?
There doesn't have to be. Generally parties can continue to negotiate and maintain the status quo if they are making progress towards a new agreement. However, that likely would not happen here since the dealbreaker issues are substantial ones, and the players would maintain the most leverage if they interfere with some or all of the season by striking.

There doesn't have to be. Generally parties can continue to negotiate and maintain the status quo if they are making progress towards a new agreement. However, that likely would not happen here since the dealbreaker issues are substantial ones, and the players would maintain the most leverage if they interfere with some or all of the season by striking.

So if agreement isn't reached, does that mean there will be a delay to the start of the season?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
So if agreement isn't reached, does that mean there will be a delay to the start of the season?
Most likely. The only way there would not be a delay is if they were very close and had agreed to the remaining issues conceptually and were simply hammering out the details. Given that the dealbreaker issues include the comp floor and free agency, it is much more likely they would walk, at least temporarily until full resolution.

Most likely. The only way there would not be a delay is if they were very close and had agreed to the remaining issues conceptually and were simply hammering out the details. Given that the dealbreaker issues include the comp floor and free agency, it is much more likely they would walk, at least temporarily until full resolution.

It doesn't sound good, especially for the fans who may have already booked hotels in Orlando for the opening game.

It doesn't sound good, especially for the fans who may have already booked hotels in Orlando for the opening game.
They will be working very hard over the next couple of weeks to get it done, as both sides know that a strike would be terrible. They will be in desperation mode, and deals often are finalized in the 12th hour. As a season ticket holder who is addictively excited, I really hope they work it out, and there is a very good chance they will. Leaving that aside, either the league needs to make some concessions on the free agency issue for the long-term benefit of the league, or the players should indeed strike. Stay positive, my friend, that's all we can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.