Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demichelis as last DP would be a mistake. We need to be looking at slightly younger players. Not ones that will need to be replaced in two years or less. We already have one of those coming in the summer.

And I've never been a fan of using DP slots on defenders and GK's except for extreme cases like with Besler or Gonzalez. There are plenty of capable players in MLS for these positions. But there are only so many elite attackers and technically gifted midfielders available.

Demichelis as last DP would be a mistake. We need to be looking at slightly younger players. Not ones that will need to be replaced in two years or less. We already have one of those coming in the summer.

And I've never been a fan of using DP slots on defenders and GK's except for extreme cases like with Besler or Gonzalez. There are plenty of capable players in MLS for these positions. But there are only so many elite attackers and technically gifted midfielders available.
+1 but I think OG and besler were mistakes to make DP. In Omar's case he could have really gone and challenged himself to become something more than a bruiser in Europe.

Belief from Man City fans and everyone else is that we're supposed to be their old guy dumping ground and ffp workaround apparently.

Reactions: MagnusPax
I am 100% behind Martin D as our 3 rd DP if it is only a 1/2 year move. Maybe even a 1.5 year move.

If we all agree that the team is NOT going to spend any money on transfer fees, then what do you all realistically expect? Name all the talented guys who are available on a free this summer and next. Please. Someone. Then tell me who you want out of that list.

Would you rather have no one or Martin D for the second half of the year ? He's a freaking Champions League level defender. Look at the difference Maurice Edu made last year for Philly when he became a CB. And he can't even break into the USMNT.

Reactions: USAfan6
Belief from Man City fans and everyone else is that we're supposed to be their old guy dumping ground and ffp workaround apparently.

I'm not sure why it is supposed to make sense that Demichelis will be "dumped" on NYCFC because "NYCFC are MCFC's dumping ground". His contract ends at the end of this season (and there's talk of him actually being kept in Manchester for an additional season) so to farm him out to New York after that would actually involve extending his contract, it wouldn't just be some convenient way of letting MCFC get rid of a player they don't want. On top of that, the player has to actually agree to come, too, so it's hardly like he's being sent to train with the reserves in order to push him out of the door.

Personally I doubt this will happen, but if it does then it's because the club wants him, not because it's an exercise in lightening the books in Manchester.

He'd be a great signing. The way he organises a defence is unbelievably good. He's miles better than any of the other defenders on the books and would bring more out of his partner than any of them. he's good enough to stay in the PL for at least another year so it would be down to him I guess.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think you've got to look at the point that many have said, there are plenty of defenders that can fill these spaces. We're much better spending our final DP to cover a more attacking and influencial player going forward. However, Demichelis is a quality defender, if it means half a season with him to slot in with Lampard when he arrives mid season may be the best option instead of rushing into something last minute and getting stuck with a DP for 3/4 years that we don't really want.

A Demichelis signing for NYCFC would be brilliant. He's composed with the ball, a very smooth passer, and has been arguably a better defender than Kompany these last 1 1/2 seasons. His one downfall is his lack of pace, but he makes up for it with his tactical nous.

If you want insight into this man's ability and character, recall his tremendous performances in Brazil and how he stabilized a shaky Argentinian defense. All of this from a man that wasn't even expected to be in the Argentinian squad in the first place.

Our defense is going to be a weak point early on. I think these forums will be clamoring for a guy like Demichelis come summer. I'd take him over Lampard, considering our midfield depth and Lampard's considerable baggage.
Problem is, you need the defenders together for a long time for them to gel. Bringing in a CB mid season sounds like a nightmare. Id rather get our back four together and playing consistently than all stars at the position.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Problem is, you need the defenders together for a long time for them to gel. Bringing in a CB mid season sounds like a nightmare. Id rather get our back four together and playing consistently than all stars at the position.

Good point, but it's another reason I'm less concerned about age with a DP CB. If he's a leader, that should ease over the chemistry challenges and make the defense better overall even after he leaves/retires.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I'd like to bring in someone who is NOT a part of CFG if i'm being frank(no lampard pun intended). I know we are a part of the machine but we can reach out beyond them, cant we?

I see nothing wrong with using a DP spot on a defender. Defense is the weakest part of the team right now. I feel that our midfield is already strong and there is no shortage of forwards. Demichelis would bring experience and organization to the back line. He is very composed playing the ball out of the back, which is what Kreis had the guys attempting in the 2 friendlies.

The truth is we don't really know what our needs are right now until we start the season. We have some ideas based upon expectations, the friendlies, etc., but I think it will take time to assess, for example, how good our kids are, chemistry, system fit, stamina, MLS assimilation, etc. By the summer, we will have a much better idea where we need to bolster the squad through DP or otherwise. I'm not saying we shouldn't speculate, as it's part of the fun, just saying it's difficult to speculate accurately right now.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I wouldn't get too hung up about the position a DP may play. The most important thing is what would he bring to the team? If he significantly improves it then he would be a good signing.

Also CFG has been born so that players can be developed within it's group of clubs. In my opinion it isn't to ensure a steady flow of players for one particular team, or allow one team to circumvent rules that may be in place.

I am sure New York will benefit equally from being part of CFG.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the position a DP may play. The most important thing is what would he bring to the team? If he significantly improves it then he would be a good signing.

Also CFG has been born so that players can be developed within it's group of clubs. In my opinion it isn't to ensure a steady flow of players for one particular team, or allow one team to circumvent rules that may be in place.

I am sure New York will benefit equally from being part of CFG.
In theory yes, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest this. Taking our best midfielder and giving us Demichelis isn't exactly helping us too much, at least not as much as promised. I have realistic expectations from CFG but I dont see anything so far that has shown NYCFC will benefit equally from this, and while CFG has only acted as a hindrance we are getting promise after promise about how this relationship is great for all of the clubs involved. In other words, I haven't seen anything to suggest that CFG isn't founded solely to promote and enhance Manchester City Football Club.

With that said, I believe that Demichelis would be a bad option as a Dp for the reasons stated by everybody else.

I am 100% behind Martin D as our 3 rd DP if it is only a 1/2 year move. Maybe even a 1.5 year move.

If we all agree that the team is NOT going to spend any money on transfer fees, then what do you all realistically expect? Name all the talented guys who are available on a free this summer and next. Please. Someone. Then tell me who you want out of that list.

Would you rather have no one or Martin D for the second half of the year ? He's a freaking Champions League level defender. Look at the difference Maurice Edu made last year for Philly when he became a CB. And he can't even break into the USMNT.
I'd still take Xavi/DDR over him though.

In theory yes, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest this. Taking our best midfielder and giving us Demichelis isn't exactly helping us too much, at least not as much as promised. I have realistic expectations from CFG but I dont see anything so far that has shown NYCFC will benefit equally from this, and while CFG has only acted as a hindrance we are getting promise after promise about how this relationship is great for all of the clubs involved. In other words, I haven't seen anything to suggest that CFG isn't founded solely to promote and enhance Manchester City Football Club.

With that said, I believe that Demichelis would be a bad option as a Dp for the reasons stated by everybody else.
What if CFG was who found Mendoza and recommended him to Kreis? I think its unfair to say we haven't seen anything that benefits us so from from CFG, when we frankly don't even know what CFG has done so far.

Reactions: lostblue

After that episode I can't blame you or anyone for thinking that it is all to promote one team, but I believe in time that New York will benefit equally, as will the other teams in the group.

I am not talking in particular about MD when I say that you shouldn't get hung up on the position a DP plays. Just that whatever position and whoever they are, the most important thing is that the players adds the necessary quality to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.