Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, I think the MLS may be able to attract those sorts of players, in their prime, somewhere in the late 2020s.
Yup, they'll just keep buying older players, let them teach the younger players and draw more attention to the league bit by bit and the league will just keep rising and rising until they can buy players in their youth.

CCL does suck. Its just MLS vs Liga Mx. I can't wait for some other confederation to let us play with them. That said, I don't think we necessarily need a CL, I truly believe the playoffs will one day draw the same kind of intrigue as CL because CL is really just European playoffs and the reason people like it is there aren't the useless clubs like Norwich City clogging up the schedule. Its always two teams with stars battling to advance.

Some people just can't see things for what they are though. I see so many people saying MLS can never be a top league because they don't have access to UCL! Which is very small thinking.

Yup, they'll just keep buying older players, let them teach the younger players and draw more attention to the league bit by bit and the league will just keep rising and rising until they can buy players in their youth.

CCL does suck. Its just MLS vs Liga Mx. I can't wait for some other confederation to let us play with them. That said, I don't think we necessarily need a CL, I truly believe the playoffs will one day draw the same kind of intrigue as CL because CL is really just European playoffs and the reason people like it is there aren't the useless clubs like Norwich City clogging up the schedule. Its always two teams with stars battling to advance.

Some people just can't see things for what they are though. I see so many people saying MLS can never be a top league because they don't have access to UCL! Which is very small thinking.

I can't say I agree it is small thinking (though, I would say that since it was one of my points). I do believe it is only one element of MLS's development, but it is a very important one. I don't think the MLS cup playoffs will ever rise to the level of the CL (or whatever the equivalent is in Europe by then) as it is still just an elimination competition between the same teams contesting the regular season matches.

The intrigue and zealous support of the CL comes from seeing clubs from different geographies, histories, playing styles, and talent pools competing for international club supremacy after having qualified through success in the top domestic league of their country. Seeing RBNY vs Sporting Kansas City in the final, after having seen them play twice in the regular season, doesn't bring that same level of excitement (Real vs Atleti in the CL was partly grand because both had to fight through many other top clubs from Germany, France, England, Italy, and Portugal to get there). Nor does it attract the very best players in the world.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Reactions: XIValentin
I can't say I agree it is small thinking (though, I would say that since it was one of my points). I do believe it is only one element of MLS's development, but it is a very important one. I don't think the MLS cup playoffs will ever rise to the level of the CL (or whatever the equivalent is in Europe by then) as it is still just an elimination competition between the same teams contesting the regular season matches.

The intrigue and zealous support of the CL comes from seeing clubs from different geographies, histories, playing styles, and talent pools competing for international club supremacy after having qualified through success in the top domestic league of their country. Seeing RBNY vs Sporting Kansas City in the final, after having seen them play twice in the regular season, doesn't bring that same level of excitement (Real vs Atleti in the CL was partly grand because both had to fight through many other top clubs from Germany, France, England, Italy, and Portugal to get there). Nor does it attract the very best players in the world.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Agree with the above post. CL is very important for the future which is why i really hope concacaf and cenmebol merge. This would at least pit MLS teams agains the like of boca junior, river plate, flamenco, etc. Still not as strong as Europe but a good first step. There is always the club world cup too. But CL is definitely important, top players are always saying the playing in Europe is a very important factor in determining which club they want to play for. Baby steps though, lets win a concacaf CL first

I am with T Trone and SebastianBlue SebastianBlue on this one. UCL is extremely important. The amount of money it generates tells you all you need to know. I can't see the MLS Cup getting to that level because people here Stateside don't care enough. The UCL is like the BCS Championship, the Final Four and the Super Bowl all on top of each other in it's scope. There is nothing else like it in Europe.

I love the idea of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL doing more stuff together. You are seeing that with Copa Americana/Centennial whatever you want to call it in 2016. Makes a lot of sense long run for clubs as well.

Like anything, money is the big driver of this. If a Fox Network throws the dough at CONMEBOL in 4 years and wants an AMERICAN CL, they will get it.

Reactions: SebastianBlue
I am with T Trone and SebastianBlue SebastianBlue on this one. UCL is extremely important. The amount of money it generates tells you all you need to know. I can't see the MLS Cup getting to that level because people here Stateside don't care enough. The UCL is like the BCS Championship, the Final Four and the Super Bowl all on top of each other in it's scope. There is nothing else like it in Europe.

I love the idea of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL doing more stuff together. You are seeing that with Copa Americana/Centennial whatever you want to call it in 2016. Makes a lot of sense long run for clubs as well.

Like anything, money is the big driver of this. If a Fox Network throws the dough at CONMEBOL in 4 years and wants an AMERICAN CL, they will get it.
As you and T Trone have said, this would be a great first step. Beside the money, which is indeed very important, the standard of play would slowly improve as MLS teams were forced to compete with some of the best South American teams (some of which would do fairly well if put in to the Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian top flights. These are often the feeder clubs to the best teams in the world, so playing them every season, in high-pressure, elimination tournaments would be great experience for American talent, which would help the national team, as well.

Not linked with NYCFC but as I mentioned that I doubt Lescott would go to MLS due to his wages I thought I would post this so everyone knew I could potentially be wrong:

@TaylorTwellman: .@TimbersFC have a $2M+ a year offer on table for Lescott. Would be highest paid defensive DP in @MLS. Weighing offers in EPL too. #MLS

Not linked with NYCFC but as I mentioned that I doubt Lescott would go to MLS due to his wages I thought I would post this so everyone knew I could potentially be wrong:

@TaylorTwellman: .@TimbersFC have a $2M+ a year offer on table for Lescott. Would be highest paid defensive DP in @MLS. Weighing offers in EPL too. #MLS

Can´t really see it happening.. That´s just about a third of what he would earn in England.

Can´t really see it happening.. That´s just about a third of what he would earn in England.
I agree, but you never know.

Portland is one of the most football mad cities in the US (I spent a few weeks there a year ago)—perhaps they will convince him he could be a legend there and sell his and his brother's clothing line in the states?

I agree, but you never know.

Portland is one of the most football mad cities in the US (I spent a few weeks there a year ago)—perhaps they will convince him he could be a legend there and sell his and his brother's clothing line in the states?

Yeah but Portland doesn't need to spend that money to get butts in the seats. Portland can spend the money it would on Rooney on a stronger set of 3 DPs which would form a stronger side. Portland unlike some MLS teams are thinking only about winning.

The problem is I have a hard time seeing it will be a draw on TV. Americans are just learning about EPL and other European leagues but have no clue about Liga MX or CONMEBOL leagues. I couldn't name you a single South American club today. How does Fox Sports get people to tune in to an MLS v. side no one's ever heard of?

[
The problem is I have a hard time seeing it will be a draw on TV. Americans are just learning about EPL and other European leagues but have no clue about Liga MX or CONMEBOL leagues. I couldn't name you a single South American club today. How does Fox Sports get people to tune in to an MLS v. side no one's ever heard of?

its one of those things that will have to build, every american may not know them but the average soccer fan is certainly more familiar with boca juniors, river plate, newells old boys, cruziero, flamengo and fluminese they are with club teams in concacef from guateamala, honduras, etc. It would be an instant upgrade over concacaf and it may take fans some time to get educated about the competition but once they did they would be pleasantly surprised.

That is a very real challenge, indeed. One of the ways to address that, though, is already being employed: summer friendlies and expanded CL coverage. The more people watch the CL, the more they will crave a version closer to home, for which they will have more invested. And exposing them to Boca Juniors, Independiente, Flamingo, Santos, River Plate, São Paulo, and the like will help them crave a measuring stick competition. The one thing Americans like just as much as, if not more then, the rest of the world is rivalry.

That is a very real challenge, indeed. One of the ways to address that, though, is already being employed: summer friendlies and expanded CL coverage. The more people watch the CL, the more they will crave a version closer to home, for which they will have more invested. And exposing them to Boca Juniors, Independiente, Flamingo, Santos, River Plate, São Paulo, and the like will help them crave a measuring stick competition. The one thing Americans like just as much as, if not more then, the rest of the world is rivalry.

See, I don't crave a version closer to home. When I watch the CL, I think "man, wouldn't it be great if we could get MLS teams to play in THIS competition."

The other issue is how to structure the tournament in a way that allows MLS teams to genuinely compete because of scheduling. Right now MLS teams are fodder for Liga MX teams because they play the post-group stage (I think it's the quarterfinals) in March, when MLS teams have barely started the season. Even now, many MLS teams use the group stage as a development game.

They don't need American TV sets. Fox Sports through Fox Deportes could broadcast this from the Falkland Islands to Vancouver and everything in between.

If you have guys the quality of a Julio Cesar, Diego Forlan, Kaka...you get the idea playing in a joint CL, that turns on TV sets in South America.

No way MLS would play in CL. It's the UEFA CL, not the FIFA Club.

See, I don't crave a version closer to home. When I watch the CL, I think "man, wouldn't it be great if we could get MLS teams to play in THIS competition."

The other issue is how to structure the tournament in a way that allows MLS teams to genuinely compete because of scheduling. Right now MLS teams are fodder for Liga MX teams because they play the post-group stage (I think it's the quarterfinals) in March, when MLS teams have barely started the season. Even now, many MLS teams use the group stage as a development game.
You make valid points, but they aren't reasons why it would be a bad idea, just issues that need to be addressed.

Perhaps many American viewers share your thoughts about wanting MLS teams to compete in the CL, and I have alluded to that potentially happening in the future. But the last thing you would want is for it to happen now. Your best team would be slaughtered, as is the odd Irish, Austrian, or Icelandic team that compete in the qualifying rounds. Before the takeover, City would have had a hard time of it, as well, and we were playing in one of the best leagues in the world.

It's about slow, sustainable development. And building an Americas club competition is a great first step. It will build a new market, improve quality of play, provide international experience to clubs and players, and eventually justify the formation of an integrated, global competition.

The ways things are leaning I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line we get to see MLS clubs in the Copa Libertadores.

There´s nothing to really stop someone, say Adidas who got a vested interest in all MLS clubs and a lot of clout in Europe to lobby in the future for a Trans Atlantic Champions League that would come into play at some stage of the current tournaments.
It would all depend on 1) Money.. TV-money 2) MLS teams being able to get some results

Yeah I know, we are not even close to being there yet but who knows how things will look twenty years from now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.