Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, to my mind the biggest stumbling block to the idea of a UEFA+USA CL is the travel distances. It's one thing clubs having to fly for 2-4 hours across Europe to play a game. It's entirely another to ask clubs to fly for 8-16 hours - and bare in mind that they then have to play further games only 3-4 days later. It would destroy player fitness. There's a reason MLS only really plays weekend games, and that's because the travel takes too much out of players.

That said, I also am not convinced that UEFA would accept an invite to merge competitions. I'm not convinced that they would see enough incentive in it. That's not to say that there genuinely is not incentive, just that I don't think the UEFA confederations would see it themselves.

Not linked with NYCFC but as I mentioned that I doubt Lescott would go to MLS due to his wages I thought I would post this so everyone knew I could potentially be wrong:

@TaylorTwellman: .@TimbersFC have a $2M+ a year offer on table for Lescott. Would be highest paid defensive DP in @MLS. Weighing offers in EPL too. #MLS

Most of the rumours here in England suggest he's close to agreeing a move to Besiktas in Turkey.

What's interesting is that the money will be here, more or less, but the interest level will not. We will never overtake the NFL, NBA, MLB and College Football. Probably won't overtake the NFL, NASCAR or College Basketball either.

But the sheer economies of scale, to your point, will make the money way too lucrative. I think that's probably bad for the overall game of soccer around the world, but good for us. I think the first thing you will see is the secondary leagues around Europe - The Championship. Turkish Super League, etc. start to falter.
I totally disagree with this.

The interest level can definitely be here but the people will not stand for anything less than world class. I've seen scores of people on twitter say "OMG DAVID VILLA???? Guess I'll have to watch MLS now." So imagine when all the teams are signing David Villa-like players? Do I think it will be more popular than football? No, but I'm sure people in the 1930s and 40s never thought football would be bigger than baseball. So who knows?

What's incredible to me is MLS is running on such a tiny TV contract, and I'm talking about the new one going into effect next year, and they've already been able to sign players like Villa, Henry, Beckham, Dempsey, Bradley, and Defoe. Add to that, 13 new soccer stadiums have been built with 5 more set to be built and Toronto to overhaul and expand their stadium....That's incredible for less than 20 years and a sport that the country was apathetic about at best when they started.

No way MLS would play in CL. It's the UEFA CL, not the FIFA Club.
And there's no way Mexican clubs would play in the Copa Libertdores because that's COMNEBOL and Mexico is CONCACAF.

What's that? Mexican clubs play in it every year? Because Mexico brings more money to the event? Oh ok.

Personally, to my mind the biggest stumbling block to the idea of a UEFA+USA CL is the travel distances. It's one thing clubs having to fly for 2-4 hours across Europe to play a game. It's entirely another to ask clubs to fly for 8-16 hours - and bare in mind that they then have to play further games only 3-4 days later. It would destroy player fitness. There's a reason MLS only really plays weekend games, and that's because the travel takes too much out of players.

That said, I also am not convinced that UEFA would accept an invite to merge competitions. I'm not convinced that they would see enough incentive in it. That's not to say that there genuinely is not incentive, just that I don't think the UEFA confederations would see it themselves.

Most of the rumours here in England suggest he's close to agreeing a move to Besiktas in Turkey.

Regarding the competitions discussion, mine is a "future" scenario. While the traveling distances are difficult, I don't think they will be a hindrance to a long-term tournament format. The same issues exist when English and Spainish clubs draw Ukrainian or Russian clubs in the UEFA CL and they make due. However, the format would need to be slightly different and occur in a segmented schedule to reduce travel fatigue, I agree.

UEFA maybe not now, you are correct, but give them time. Whenever they believe money can be squeezed out of an enterprise they will be quick to jump aboard (or hijack, which is often the case). Also, UEFA may not end up being the main player in such a formation. There are stronger and stronger rumblings against them each year and instances of corruption continue to come to light. It would surprise me if there were a few breakaway competitions in the next 10-15 years.

As far as the Lescott rumours, I saw those, as well, but only the Portland rumour contradicted my stated belief so I wanted to share it for balance. I still do not believe he will go to MLS but I try to keep my mind open to possibilities.

BTW, if Australia can make it work with Asia....UEFA and USA can definitely make it work.

I totally disagree with this.

The interest level can definitely be here but the people will not stand for anything less than world class. I've seen scores of people on twitter say "OMG DAVID VILLA???? Guess I'll have to watch MLS now." So imagine when all the teams are signing David Villa-like players? Do I think it will be more popular than football? No, but I'm sure people in the 1930s and 40s never thought football would be bigger than baseball. So who knows?

What's incredible to me is MLS is running on such a tiny TV contract, and I'm talking about the new one going into effect next year, and they've already been able to sign players like Villa, Henry, Beckham, Dempsey, Bradley, and Defoe. Add to that, 13 new soccer stadiums have been built with 5 more set to be built and Toronto to overhaul and expand their stadium....That's incredible for less than 20 years and a sport that the country was apathetic about at best when they started.

I would imagine most of the folks you follow are soccer centric

Let me know when the MLS playoffs lead SportsCenter or when ratings are higher than a Tuesday night baseball game.

It's ok to be a fan of this league and not be delusional about it.

Bradley and Dempsey are not international stars. Henry was over the hill.

The only player that has made that big of a difference is Beckham. Let me know when a Messi and Cristiano arrive.

Let me know when the MLS playoffs lead SportsCenter or when ratings are higher than a Tuesday night baseball game.

The only player that has made that big of a difference is Beckham. Let me know when a Messi and Cristiano arrive.

Tuesday night baseball doesn't draw that many viewers.

BTW, if Australia can make it work with Asia....UEFA and USA can definitely make it work.

Australia made it work in Asia because the nature of the Asian CL is well suited to acoomodate Australia. The ACL group stage is divided into regions. West Asia and East Asia. UEFA is not going to suddenly divide up the group stages just for the sake of MLS. It's never going to happen.

Realistically, we have a better chance of joining the Copa Libertadores. Although there would still be HUGE obstacles for us to overcome.

Reactions: SteveMcSteve
Copa Libertadores would be the best bet for MLS. It's a marriage that would benefit both parties. MLS teams gets to consistently play against the best sides in South America, while also raising their profile there as well. And in turn possibly expanding it's audience beyond just North America

The Copa Libertaderos would benefit greatly as well due to the US' commercial and TV power. Which is why the guys who run the Copa seem very keen at the moment for MLS to eventually join in. Hopefully it happens because CCL is just a complete waste at the moment, and will never grow beyond the point of just being seen more as a nuisance than a benefit.

Reactions: deedsy
Copa Libertadores would be the best bet for MLS. It's a marriage that would benefit both parties. MLS teams gets to consistently play against the best sides in South America, while also raising their profile there as well. And in turn possibly expanding it's audience beyond just North America

The Copa Libertaderos would benefit greatly as well due to the US' commercial and TV power. Which is why the guys who run the Copa seem very keen at the moment for MLS to eventually join in. Hopefully it happens because CCL is just a complete waste at the moment, and will never grow beyond the point of just being seen more as a nuisance than a benefit.

Concacaf should just retire the CCL. It's not working, no one cares for it and it's obvious that both MLS and Liga MX prioritize their own respective domestic leagues instead of the competition.

I would recommend a merger between the CCL and La Copa. 4 teams from Liga MX, 3 teams from MLS and 1 from each of the remaning leagues.

Youre right these things arent happening right now but they can. Would be delusional to think MLS is a top US sport right now but we can the growth that has been made and the vision for the future. Within the next 10 years I truly beleive you will see a sportscenter mls lead in.

Now here is the craziest thought yet, which I am sure nobody will agree with but I think MLS can overtake the NFL in popularity over the next 25-30 years. Soccer is the most popular sport amongst kids now and football will see a serious decline soon. With the player injuries, deaths, permament injuries, watering down of the actual game etc i see fans moving away from NFL once this generation of fan is gone. Basically if NFL and MLS were stocks its NFL is a sell and MLS is a buy.

Now here is the craziest thought yet, which I am sure nobody will agree with but I think MLS can overtake the NFL in popularity over the next 25-30 years. Soccer is the most popular sport amongst kids now and football will see a serious decline soon. With the player injuries, deaths, permament injuries, watering down of the actual game etc i see fans moving away from NFL once this generation of fan is gone. Basically if NFL and MLS were stocks its NFL is a sell and MLS is a buy.

With all the lawsuits and trouble NFL players get into, the NFL wont be around in 10 years. Not the same force it is today. You have a valid point and i can only hope the kids today bring soccer into the spotlight. About MLS and UEFA joining.....not for the Champions or Europa League. Maybe like a World Cup of Clubs sort of thing but why hasnt UEFA asked South American teams? Imagine NYCFC playing sunday, flying to russia for a Wednesday match, then a Sunday match in San Jose....um no, dont see any club agreeing to that. UEFA clubs will also be against this with saying clubs arent as good and distance etc. I dont see this happening in a while

With all the lawsuits and trouble NFL players get into, the NFL wont be around in 10 years. Not the same force it is today. You have a valid point and i can only hope the kids today bring soccer into the spotlight. About MLS and UEFA joining.....not for the Champions or Europa League. Maybe like a World Cup of Clubs sort of thing but why hasnt UEFA asked South American teams? Imagine NYCFC playing sunday, flying to russia for a Wednesday match, then a Sunday match in San Jose....um no, dont see any club agreeing to that. UEFA clubs will also be against this with saying clubs arent as good and distance etc. I dont see this happening in a while

As I have said several times, this is a future possibility and there are ways to make it work (try not to think inside the systems that exist now). But it would need to be after an Americas competition is formed and becomes viable. That competition is absolutely necessary if MLS ever wants to attract the best players in their prime (other wise many development factors will never be realised, including the level of revenue seen in Europe).

Small steps.

I don't think this is crazy at all, I think the same will happen. NFL is on its way out. Either it ends or it's changed so much that it doesn't resemble football today. Also consider that many parents these days aren't letting their kids play football, so 20 years from now, the talent pool will be much smaller. Less great players. The sport will die IMHO.

Soccer on the other hand is on it's way up in the US. More people are playing, and more people are watching. Those Seattle/Portland games have the vibe on a World Cup match. Americans are starting to care about the sport. NYCFC and Villa are going to just make it more popular.

Just saying hello to all you New York City fans. Manchester City fan here.

Great to see you sign David Villa

What do you guys think about the rumours about Frank Lampard joining?

Who else would you like to see at your club?

The NFL is not on it's way out. Check out a High School game in California or Texas on a random Friday night in the fall

Reactions: Section1Guy
Just saying hello to all you New York City fans. Manchester City fan here.

Great to see you sign David Villa

What do you guys think about the rumours about Frank Lampard joining?

Who else would you like to see at your club?

I'd like to see someone from the USMNT join our squad. Having a US national player would greatly increase interest in those who are on the fence of MLS in and around NY.

I think the Mix rumors are important because he could be with the squad for 10 years. Signing David Villa is one thing - but who carries the mantle for this franchise is another conversation.

I think the Mix rumors are important because he could be with the squad for 10 years. Signing David Villa is one thing - but who carries the mantle for this franchise is another conversation.
Is he good enough to warrant being NYCFC's Vincent Kompany or Javier Zanetti?

I thought perhaps Aron Johannsson, Junior Flores, or John Brooks would be better choices. From what I have heard/seen of them they are highly-rated in and outside the US (where as most outside of the US have not heard of Diskerud, which is usually a sign of lack of interest from top scouts).

Status
Not open for further replies.