Patrick Mullins [Forward]

One interesting note about Mullins is that
Good article. I'm a Mullins fans and I was still surprised by his G/A per minutes played compared to others.
I too like Mullins a lot, both on the field and the way he carries himself personally. One interesting thing about his season is that 4 of his 5 goals have come in substitute appearances even though he has started in 10 of his 20 matches. This could be just small sample size or maybe there is something there. I could come with various theories, though they are hard to really validate. It is interesting though.

One interesting note about Mullins is that

I too like Mullins a lot, both on the field and the way he carries himself personally. One interesting thing about his season is that 4 of his 5 goals have come in substitute appearances even though he has started in 10 of his 20 matches. This could be just small sample size or maybe there is something there. I could come with various theories, though they are hard to really validate. It is interesting though.
That does give me some concern that he takes advantage of having more energy at the ends of games in his sub appearances, which is a good thing but could also mean he would not perform at a similar level if he played full time.

Reactions: Goodfella and AJS
That does give me some concern that he takes advantage of having more energy at the ends of games in his sub appearances, which is a good thing but could also mean he would not perform at a similar level if he played full time.
Agreed. That was the most plausible theory I could come up with too.

The international spot gores to Chanot, and our backup for Villa is now..... who exactly? As discussed elsewhere recently, Mullins is/was our backup and has substantial flaws. Villa is the player we can least afford to lose to injury or discipline. Who the hell was on the depth chart behind Mullins?

The international spot gores to Chanot, and our backup for Villa is now..... who exactly? As discussed elsewhere recently, Mullins is/was our backup and has substantial flaws. Villa is the player we can least afford to lose to injury or discipline. Who the hell was on the depth chart behind Mullins?

Not going to be a popular answer but Shelton was a ST in college. Ideally we have a plan to add someone but for now I'd say he's that backup.

Not going to be a popular answer but Shelton was a ST in college. Ideally we have a plan to add someone but for now I'd say he's that backup.

Yes, he could definitely be a solid backup (nobody is going to really be a replacement). Of course, he's injured now, so the current backup is nobody.

Reactions: gbservis
My response to this thread and others where Mullins has run down:

1. Patrick Mullins isn't lazy or a bad player. He has worked hard and given his best for the club. He is probably one of our 10 most talented. But Villa has played almost every minute and is having an MVP season. Mullins really just doesn't fit here right now since he isn't considered for a wide spot.

Not sure what folks expected him to do in 1 appearance of any meaningful length, when he and Mix were the only quality on the field along with a bunch of USL level players. I like him a lot as a player, and I think he will do well at DC.

2. Khiry Shelton is not an acceptable answer as a backup striker. I don't see anything with him other than physical tools. Maybe he could transition into a fullback.

He actually scored two of the most memorable goals of last season for me.

First, the second goal in the home opener when none of us knew quite how frustrating the season would turn out to be and were deluded into thinking we might actually be good.

And, second, the, out of nowhere, goal against Philadelphia that ended the 11 match winless streak. By then, I had realized it wasn't likely to be a great season, but that was a moment of pure joy (followed by Leah and me getting booed by the Philly fans).

He was also always one of those guys that I came away far more impressed with when I got to see him live and close-up rather than from afar. Generally worked like an animal, including going toe to toe with Michael Bradley up in Toronto earlier this year.

Ultimately, I agree with others saying that there just wasn't a role for him here that was likely to satisfy him given that we have Villa playing not only fantastically, but nearly all of the time. I hope he does well in DC.

Last edited:

First, the second goal in the home opener when none of us knew quite how frustrating the season would turn out to be and were deluded into thinking we might actually be good.

And, second, the, out of nowhere, goal against Philadelphia that ended the 11 match winless this streak. By then, I had realized it wasn't likely to be a great season, but that was a moment of pure joy (followed by Leah and me getting booed by the Philly fans).

He was also always one of those guys that I came away far more impressed with when I got to see him live and close-up rather than from afar. Generally worked like an animal, including going toe to toe with Michael Bradley up in Toronto earlier this year.

Ultimately, I agree with others saying that there just wasn't a role for him here that was likely to satisfy him given that we have Villa playing not only fantastically, but nearly all of the time. I hope he does well in DC.
Agree, he was one of my favorites last year.

And, second, the, out of nowhere, goal against Philadelphia that ended the 11 match winless this streak. By then, I had realized it wasn't likely to be a great season, but that was a moment of pure joy (followed by Leah and me getting booed by the Philly fans).

Ultimately, I agree with others saying that there just wasn't a role for him here that was likely to satisfy him given that we have Villa playing not only fantastically, but nearly all of the time.
I hope he does well in DC.

That's a great post. Since that goal he slid in between the posts in the home opener last year I made him my favorite player. I've always liked the under dogs, its just who I am. (Although Villa is the friken man). And after watching Mullins play his impact sub minutes last year and playing great in the Puerto Rico game I had high hope for this season. My one game I went to this year I got my hypno adorn with a Mullins 14 because I thought he would break out this year. Yet that clearly didn't happen. But after being disappointed all day about him being gone, I've come to terms with the fact that he will get more minutes at DC so I hope the best for him.
Yes I just wrote this message just to get it off my chest so I can move on to my new Underdog favorite (Allen)