Portland Postmatch

Well, while wading through all this, I was formulating a thoughtful response, but mgarbowski basically said it all. So, I will rep him and summarize.
  • The harassment that Mark got on Facebook is a natural, predictable outcome of what Bianco did, but he is enough of shithead (as demonstrated by his activity here) that it seems not only possible, but likely, that he didn't anticipate it.
  • That doesn't excuse him, particularly given that his activity here left him with a short leash.
  • And that's not because people disagreed with him. It is that they found his illogic, his tone and the incessant manner of his posts to be off putting and disruptive to the forum. I actually agreed with him on several occasions and still couldn't stand to read his posts.
  • He and Mario arrived around the same time and could hijack entire threads because of their tone and the frequency of their posts. You had to wade through pages that were half full of their stuff and replies to it to get to any good points. Only after people put them on ignore did this trend reverse itself.*
  • When people behave like that, they leave themselves less room for error. There was no slack left in Bianco's rope, and it should surprise nobody that this incident has left him swinging.
* - No, I didn't put them on ignore, but I probably should have. I've only put one person on ignore this whole time.

Don't wanna be called dumb? Don't say dumb shit it's really that simple.
All I learned from this is you guys can't handle criticism, have a sense of humor akin to that of a Muslim person when viewing a caricature of Muhammad, and complain about people being buddies when you got your own group thing going on too. Funny, so my first post was to call someone dumb, which is not the way to introduce myself to a community (it's an online forum guy, not a UN council meeting). Yet you're okay with your pal up there saying newbies gotta get hazed from the getgo as their intro to the community. I have all of maybe 80 posts, we can go visit one by one if you'd like, but basically you just want me gone because you and your pals think I'm an asshole, which is fine. Just say that then, because I am asshole. I don't know if that's against the rules but I'm sure if it was by now I would've been banned as y'all itching to ban me

This is really getting interesting. Will it happen? The suspense is terrible..
giphy.gif

Reactions: gbservis and dkalev
The thing is, this *isn't* a public forum. It's Dan's forum. He put in the time and the work and the sweat (and the money) to start it up and keep it running. Sure, anyone can join, but there's also rules to follow. And not even very many of those.

Taking something that's not yours and that you know is going to rile people up and then posting it in public on Twitter without permission just seems to be a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. Disagree with someone's opinion all you want, sure, but don't paint a big sign on someone's house just because you don't like what they said.
BUT THE CONSTITUTION

This is really getting interesting. Will it happen? The suspense is terrible..
giphy.gif
Don't say dumb shit... cause someone saying we should release Pirlo was 'dumb shit'... since that comment he rotted on a bench and cost us the last game. Really dumb there.

I used to belong to a forum that temp-banned anyone who referenced their own likelihood of getting banned in a post.

Admittedly extreme (and not recommending it here since it only makes sense if it's a well known and consistently enforced policy) but . . . its a good policy.

Really appreciate mgarbowski 's nuance around the word doxxing which absolutely is abused.

Etnaman Etnaman seems alright to me.

One of the norms of this forum that I personally appreciate is that most posts are longer than a few words and use complete sentences. Paying so little attention to that norm was way more irritating to me than differing opinions.

If this seems to contradict what I said last night, well maybe it does.

I'm not defending Dkalev's name calling. I find it ridiculous regardless of how stupid someone's comments may be. But he certainly isn't the first or only person to resort to it on this forum.

I'm also not defending Bianco. Even when I agreed with him I thought his tome was abrasive.

But there are one or two other people here who rarely comment on anything except get a rise out of some people, including name calling, and it just slides.

Newbie or not- an asshole is still an asshole.

You make some valid points on how we can do better.

But there's also just the fact that we haven't had any big event, and there's also the newness wearing off.

Forums peak and trough. It's just how it goes.

I mean, in fairness, people like you and me could blame all of the new people for 2015 voices leaving. Is that accurate? I don't know. But us old-timers were here then when we had more diversity per your observation (mine too).

It seems to be a bit of seasonal thing. You lose some, you gain some every year. There are also just more places to talk about less actual shit going on.

I'm happy to encourage any quality new posters. After I haze balls on their first post, of course.

I am pretty new to the forum so I don't know exactly what people mean by diversity. But if it is "diversity of opinion" in terms of signings, way forward, etc. the apparent consensus may also reflect that the team has matured and is doing very well, regardless of the injury curse, etc. I mean, when we had Lord Kwame, Brovsky, Saunders, etc. there was a lot to discuss along the lines of "where are the lifeboats and is it true that women and children are always first?". But now the team is set, the coach is set, we are trimming along the edges to have better depth, to get rid of a DP who's worn out his welcome, etc. But nothing fundamental. Even the Pirlo debate has died down.

I mean, if you really want to be a contrarian you can argue against Villa, Chanot, Callens and Ring, but you'll get laughed out of court quite fast. We argue about RJ, TMac and Khiry but none of them would figure prominently if we hadn't the injuries. So maybe that's why we're agreeing too much.

• The harassment that Mark got on Facebook is a natural, predictable outcome of what Bianco did, but he is enough of shithead (as demonstrated by his activity here) that it seems not only possible, but likely, that he didn't anticipate it.

I think this is pretty generous. The only motive I could possibly surmise is taking offense to the idea of punishing a supporters group which implicitly supports what they did and wanting to get like-minded people to pile on someone directly.

I'm completely on board with a zero tolerance policy for support of hooliganism here. Every moronic altercation has the potential to turn into something tragic if someone decides to take things too far. Outside of personal harm and theft, these incidents have, as has been covered here before, a negative effect on the stadium effort we all want CFG to deliver on, and are terrible publicity for the club and the sport in this country.

I do agree with not ignoring people. I had in the past and for a lot of reasons wanted to go into this year with no one on the block list. I've been able to stick to that outside of a brief period where someone was an actual troll, and I'm glad I have.

Do people not settle differences privately/directly anymore or do we just bash in public and then ignore? Just want to know how to deal with people going forward in this forum.

can we get these FLID's outta here please

You have 869 posts and near as I can tell almost none of them are longer than one line, and in none of them do you ever bother to use anything resembling proper grammar.

Could you please try to step up your game and put half as much effort into posting as the average member?

You have 869 posts and near as I can tell almost none of them are longer than one line, and in none of them do you ever bother to use anything resembling proper grammar.

Could you please try to step up your game and put half as much effort into posting as the average member?

For what it's worth, some members use marginally better grammar but are far worse assholes.

Do people not settle differences privately/directly anymore or do we just bash in public and then ignore? Just want to know how to deal with people going forward in this forum.

Well, that's kinda what is at the meat of all of this. The onus is on the participant(s) to reach a resolution... or not.

Reactions: Etnaman
Well, that's kinda what is at the meat of all of this. The onus is on the participants to reach a resolution... or not.
if its on the participants, then it hasn't been dealt with correctly. there's been countless arguments/disputes/misunderstandings that just go on and on. nobody would take the initiative to end it leading to hundreds of posts going back and forth. then one guy ignores the other yet continues to post about the person they ignored rather than just taking it to a PM saying "yo stfu".

Reactions: Etnaman