Portland Postmatch

I knew you know-nothing rubes would blame Pirlo for that loss.

Ok, I'll play along. Who was responsible for the Portland goal? Was it Sean Johnson who didn't stop a free shot from the second best goal scorer in the league?

Also, please explain to me who screwed up on each Pirlo corner/free kick. Because it had to be someone else's fault that none of them went in?

Pirlo had a howler tonight. Had a good game on Wednesday. Perhaps it was too much to expect a 38 year old to play two games in four nights after sitting on the bench for the last three months.

I knew you know-nothing rubes would blame Pirlo for that loss.
I'll play, you think you know more than you do but harp on only one topic for weeks at a time while adding no value but actually are just a one note contrarian 98% of the time. Who is responsible if not the guy with a dumb turnover where he wasn't fouled and then he proceeds to not hustle when he could have helped narrow the options for our keeper and CBs to defend?

Tell me. I'm your rube.

I'm so pissed that the story isn't "NYCFC takes a point due to a massive game by Sean Johnson" instead of "hey, look again at this Pirlo howler to lose them another game".

Johnson was that good, especially in the last 15-20 minutes as everybody pushed forward. He deserved some type of result tonight.

Pirlo got done for the goal, exposed in a role that he never should be expected to play. We've been spinning the wheel for the last two games without Ring or Herrera, hoping we could get away with it - on Wednesday it worked, today it didn't.

Props to Johnson for his wondersave today - one of the best I've ever seen.

Callens was absolutely fucking immense tonight. MOTM by a mile. He's one of the best centerhalfs I've seen at this level.

Pirlo got done for the goal, exposed in a role that he never should be expected to play. We've been spinning the wheel for the last two games without Ring or Herrera, hoping we could get away with it - on Wednesday it worked, today it didn't.

Props to Johnson for his wondersave today - one of the best I've ever seen.

Callens was absolutely fucking immense tonight. MOTM by a mile. He's one of the best centerhalfs I've seen at this level.
this is a great post. So much truth. Well done, man. Well done and well said.

Reactions: SanBartG
Unfortunately, not being a New Yorker, that went over my head.
Yeah, you may have a higher tolerance that blinds you to all the shit a lot of us hate. But it ain't Jerseys fault. Not this time.

Yeah, you may have a higher tolerance that blinds you to all the shit a lot of us hate. But it ain't Jerseys fault. Not this time.

Eh, not much is worth getting upset about. Like my uncle says-"tomorrow, it-a gonna be a better day." Thankfully, he's right more often than he's not.

But for tonight- I'm still pissed about an avoidable loss because of Pirlo's shocker and also our inability to close.

Eh, not much is worth getting upset about. Like my uncle says-"tomorrow, it-a gonna be a better day." Thankfully, he's right more often than he's not.

But for tonight- I'm still pissed about an avoidable loss because of Pirlo's shocker and also our inability to close.
Your uncle obviously doesn't support a team with a crumbling zombie Pirlo in the midfield. ;)

I blame Long Island for that.

(Exemption to adam adam)

giphy.gif

Edit: posted before I saw your edit.

Portland won on a takeaway on Andrea Pirlo. Valeri converted that goal. Valeri is a great player. From time to time, all players make mistakes. Today is was Pirlo. Unfortunately that mistake was the only mistake on the day and it was massive. If Ring was back, we win the game. If Villa was back, we win the game.

Johnson was the man of the match. That was one of the best GK performances I've seen in MLS this season. That save on an open net basically versus Valeri should be save of the week and save of the year. But we don't win internet awards.

But my huge disappointed is with the referring. Guzman pulled Moralez's leg several times before he finally went down. There were no defenders with a clear path to guard Moralez if Guzman would not have pulled on Moralez's leg. The closest defender was on the other side of the 18 yard box. That is DOGSO and should have been a straight red and Portland would have been down a man for 50+ minutes. Elfath pointed out the player that was the other defender but he was miles away from Moralez. That subjective call if bullshit. It never went to video review, which is should have least have gone. Elftah would have seen the initial leg grab where the other defender was further away from Moralez. Absolute bullshit.

Our next home game is the last game of the season. October 22. Winter is coming.

The only positive, aside from Johnson, is that we're five points clear of 3rd place. Unfortunately, we're 9 points behind Toronto and 1st place. The Shield is theirs.

One last point regarding refereeing. Ted Unkel (experience albeit controversial referee) was supposed to the be 4th official. We hasn't here and an official took his place. This was no reported anywhere. And it was this guy's first game being a 4th official. Moreover, the VAR is Bardhyl Pashaj. He's not an experienced VAR, he's a new guy. Elfath is one of the more experienced referees and he has gone to VAR many times. He didn't today and that is absolute bullshit. I'll pay Vieira's fine who commented on the poor referring and VAR today.

Last edited:
Portland won on a takeaway on Andrea Pirlo. Valeri converted that goal. Valeri is a great player. From time to time, all players make mistakes. Today is was Pirlo. Unfortunately that mistake was the only mistake on the day and it was massive. If Ring was back, we win the game. If Villa was back, we win the game.

Johnson was the man of the match. That was one of the best GK performances I've seen in MLS this season. That save on an open net basically versus Valeri should be save of the week and save of the year. But we don't win internet awards.

But my huge disappointed is with the referring. Guzman pulled Moralez's leg several time before his finally went down. There were no defenders with a clear path to guard Moralez if Guzman would not have pulled on Moralez's leg. The closest defender was on the other side of the 18 yard box. That is DOGSO and should have been a straight red and Portland would have been down a man for 50+ minutes. Elfath pointed out the player that was the other defender but he was miles away from Moralez. That subjective call if bullshit. It never went to video review, which is should have least have gone. Elftah would have seen the initial leg grab where the other defender was further away from Moralez. Absolute bullshit.

Our next home game is the last game of the season. October 22. Winter is coming.

The only positive, aside from Johnson, is that we're five points clear of 3rd place. Unfortunately, we're 9 points behind Toronto and 1st place. The Shield is theirs.

One last point regarding refereeing. Ted Unkel (experience albeit controversial referee) was supposed to the be 4th official. We hasn't here and an official took his place. This was no reported anywhere. And it was this guy's first game being a 4th official. Moreover, the VAR is Bardhyl Pashaj. He's not an experienced VAR, he's a new guy. Elfath is one of the more experienced referees and he has gone to VAR many times. He didn't today and that is absolute bullshit. I'll pay Vieira's fine who commented on the poor referring and VAR today.
Ishmael. More like Is shit, ammirite?

He really was embarrassingly bad.

Guzman pulled Moralez's leg several time before his finally went down.
Yeah, it was absolutely absurd that this wasn't a straight red. My entire section saw the whole thing and was screaming for it. Complete shit refereeing here.

On a lighter note, when picking up my car I ran into a delightful English family who had the NY vanity plate 'BORO FC' and I got the warm fuzzies about people who have that much generational love for mediocre soccer clubs.