Portland Postmatch

Liked that it should be a red. But he was subbed out 5 mins into the 2nd half when he tried to play on the knee. He really was hurt.
I assumed he left because Porter was worried the player would draw a card. He's the same one that behind a play flopped in the box without being touched - full superman flop.

Reactions: adam
Having only watched a bit of the first half (when we were doing well)*, I am a bit confused by the direction here. We scored nothing against a team that gives up 2+ goals per game on the road. We conceded one goal off a turnover, but Johnson was forced into several great saves, so it could have been worse. Yet, most of the complaining is about the one goal, a little is on specific offensive sequences, and the defense is mostly ignored and occasionally praised.

It seems to me that despite the flub by Pirlo, the reason we lost this game is we couldn't break down a team that regularly gets shredded on the road.

What am I missing?

* - My streak of missing games we lose at home is well over 2 years now. Perhaps we should blame the loss on Dr. Mrs. Gotham, who insisted that the game started too late and that we have date night instead. (Saw The Big Sick. Very good. )

Having only watched a bit of the first half (when we were doing well)*, I am a bit confused by the direction here. We scored nothing against a team that gives up 2+ goals per game on the road. We conceded one goal off a turnover, but Johnson was forced into several great saves, so it could have been worse. Yet, most of the complaining is about the one goal, a little is on specific offensive sequences, and the defense is mostly ignored and occasionally praised.

It seems to me that despite the flub by Pirlo, the reason we lost this game is we couldn't break down a team that regularly gets shredded on the road.

What am I missing?

* - My streak of missing games we lose at home is well over 2 years now. Perhaps we should blame the loss on Dr. Mrs. Gotham, who insisted that the game started too late and that we have date night instead. (Saw The Big Sick. Very good. )
I think people are giving the defense a pass tonight because of what was in front of it.

Um, did you watch Wednesday?

Yes I was one of the 5k people in the stadium on Weds.

And I really don't get your point. On Weds man bun Ken came in for a gassed and ineffective (but not lazy) Okoli.

Last night Okoli was fresh and Bernie Bro Ken replaced Rodney Wallace who admittedly did not have a killer instinct for goal in the match but is 100x the soccer player of JS even when sleeping.

Are you really saying putting him in as striker when we are chasing is a good idea? Did you see him on the only play when he had a chance on a ball in the box?

I suspose he was there to score a header. And obviously we were depleted, but If Rodney needs to come out there I think Kwame is 10x better choice than show me where Hillary hurt you Ken doll.

I am a bit confused by the direction here. We scored nothing against a team that gives up 2+ goals per game on the road. We conceded one goal off a turnover, but Johnson was forced into several great saves, so it could have been worse. Yet, most of the complaining is about the one goal, a little is on specific offensive sequences, and the defense is mostly ignored and occasionally praised.

You seem to be disagreeing with yourself. Is your thesis that more blame should be accorded to a defense that needed to be saved by the GK more than once, or to an offense that couldn't finish? I don't think "both" is the answer because of the way your post is structured.

Myself, I mostly blame a completely inept offense inside the box. They mostly failed to shoot, but there also were instances where they should have passed and took a bad shot. The defense failures were mostly overcome by SJ, and he's part of our defense and conceding 1 goal should be adequate for the team playing at home with second most goals in the league heading into the game. You cannot win if you don't score, and when the offense yields nothing and the defense allows 1 I have to blame the offense.

Also, don't discount the ref. Look carefully and you'll see more people complaining than the usual group who do so every match. This was egregious.

I assumed he left because Porter was worried the player would draw a card.
Makes no sense. Guzman and Blanco had Yellows when Mattocks was removed, plus Guzman was persistently fouling, while Mattocks had no cards, yet Porter was more worried about the latter getting his first card?

Makes no sense. Guzman and Blanco had Yellows when Mattocks was removed, plus Guzman was persistently fouling, while Mattocks had no cards, yet Porter was more worried about the latter getting his first card?
What do you want me to tell you? It was the assumption I made during the game because how many players start a second half to come out after only 5 minutes, and this was after a blatant flop that didn't get a yellow and his slamming into the keeper that also didn't get a yellow - he was living on borrowed time. As to Porter's decision to leave Guzman & Blanco in, no idea either except that it became increasingly apparent that neither would be given a 2nd yellow no matter what they did.

What do you want me to tell you? It was the assumption I made during the game because how many players start a second half to come out after only 5 minutes, and this was after a blatant flop that didn't get a yellow and his slamming into the keeper that also didn't get a yellow - he was living on borrowed time. As to Porter's decision to leave Guzman & Blanco in, no idea either except that it became increasingly apparent that neither would be given a 2nd yellow no matter what they did.
You could have maybe just acknowledged Adam was right.

I think SJ is a bit dinged up. He ran to the left of his box in front of us in the second half and was grimacing hard. Funny how hard we leaned on him this game in a slop-fest, and he really didn't have much to do in another slop-fest Wednesday. Midfield was just horrid. And for having a team that passes so well, we can't put shots on target to save our lives.

You could have maybe just acknowledged Adam was right.
Holy fck Mark - I said "I assumed" - where the fck does "assume" imply Adam is wrong????? My statement was a past tense statement. Seriously, tell me now or back off - you're a lawyer and words mean everything to you as you've told the board many times in the past. So if you can honestly say that "assumed" has the same effect as telling somebody they are wrong, then I'll relent, but otherwise you're way overstepping.

Didn't get to watch the game. Worth watching the whole thing, or should I stick with the condensed match?
Don't watch the whole thing but the formation was very interesting. It also looked like a 4-2-4 or 442 without a striker and two wingers with Maxi and Jack both playing the 10. You already know about Pirlo's shitty play and the non calls so you probably wont get as pissed as most of us are.

I think SJ is a bit dinged up. He ran to the left of his box in front of us in the second half and was grimacing hard. Funny how hard we leaned on him this game in a slop-fest, and he really didn't have much to do in another slop-fest Wednesday. Midfield was just horrid. And for having a team that passes so well, we can't put shots on target to save our lives.
EJ also was warming up for the entire halftime period. I think they were debating a sub.

Dude, you know that's just so transparent. Did you move to Long Island?

How many more times can u mention Long Island in this thread? As per usual I say nothing, you guys instigate and then blame me and cry to Dan.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Angela Miller
Holy fck Mark - I said "I assumed" - where the fck does "assume" imply Adam is wrong????? My statement was a past tense statement. Seriously, tell me now or back off - you're a lawyer and words mean everything to you as you've told the board many times in the past. So if you can honestly say that "assumed" has the same effect as telling somebody they are wrong, then I'll relent, but otherwise you're way overstepping.

I think we all need to calm down and now you owe ME a beer this time ;)

How many more times can u mention Long Island in this thread? As per usual I say nothing, you guys instigate and then blame me and cry to Dan.

giphy.gif

What bothers me is that he doesn't distinguish that it's the North Shore and Suffolk County Long Islanders that are the problem. I don't know how anyone can have anything bad to say about the South Shore. Strong Island forever!!!

What bothers me is that he doesn't distinguish that it's the North Shore and Suffolk County Long Islanders that are the problem. I don't know how anyone can have anything bad to say about the South Shore. Strong Island forever!!!

What if you live smack in the middle of the Island in Nassau county?

I think we all need to calm down and now you owe ME a beer this time ;)
Ha, sure! It's not like we had a bet or anything, but I'll buy you a beer. I won't even tell you it has to be the Hartford Game ;)

What if you live smack in the middle of the Island in Nassau county?

Hmm, I was being sarcastic regarding making broad judgements based on where people live. But if I have to continue the joke, anyone East Meadow and South are cool. Once you pass Hempstead Tpyk you can GFY.