Postmatch Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what PV was going for -- and it almost worked. In fact it looked like we were about to break through before that ball ping-ponged in our box the way it has all season.

The problem with the strategy is that we don't have a good enough defense to execute it for 90 minutes. There was terrific defense for the first 80 minutes or so, but we're just not good enough to keep that team off the board for 90 minutes.

0-0 would have been a great result -- even a 1-0 loss would have been an OK result.

I think a 0-0 draw gives Toronto the advantage for the series because it means any draw at YS wins them the series. Vieira really needed to try and get some away goals today...

Edit: Any draw except 0-0, which would send it to extra time (where away goals don't matter) and then PKs.

Last edited:
Did I mention that RJ Allen is just plain shit? He is another one that I hope is gone in the off season. He flat out sucks.
Yep.

This was a really negative approach, and while I wanted us to win, it's not unfair that we were punished.

Again, why no Mix? He bested Bradley last time. Not even close. Instead, we played like minnows. Very sad to watch.

The series is over. That is the saddest thing. I really wanted to see what a playoff atmosphere would be like in NYC. We did the one thing that made sure we don't get that.

Fucking asshole lineup, tho. Makes me sad and angry.

Boy did Mata butcher that second goal in multiple respects. He was a deer in headlights tonight.

He had a bad game tonight. He wasn't the only one, of course, but I was surprised how bad his first touch was a lot.
He had a play in the second half where he coughed up the ball deep in our end, and didn't even run to try and get it back.

I thought playing EiJo in goal and continuing with the 3-4-2-1 was gutsy. We just had no link between defensive mid and attack with Bravo and Mikey in there, despite Mendoza and Harrison working their balls off. We are probably one solid CB or another solid defensive midfielder away from making that formation work, sadly. With Pirlo, make that two.

I thought it was a brave performance by our boys today. Mata's loss in concentration on the far post for Ricketts' goal cost us big time.

On the flip side, Mendoza and Harrison played well and I thought our back 3 were good. Johansen pulled out some big saves. He's a bit slower and more timid coming off his line on crosses than I'd like but he still edges it over Josh for me.

With a fit Pirlo and Lampard next week maybe we return to the 4-3-3. I believe in the heart of this team. We have shown that we can bounce back emphatically at home after poor results in trying circumstances. Nothing to do now except chew on our nails until Sunday and then give our boys the best support we possibly can.

When you setup on the back foot, players seem to react like they are on the back foot. We set up with both feet in the goal.

Patrick. Patrick Mourinho.

Patrick Mourinho.

Patrick Mourinnnnnnhhhhooooo.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
0-1 probably would have been a fair result. 0-2 is a hard pill to swallow and it's tough to see the road back.

Have to think Mix would have been a better option in the midfield.

Sorry, meant our defensive home form. You can count the amount of clean sheets we've had there on one hand.

They've allowed nine goals in their unbeaten streak. Outscoring opponents 24-9 over the time period.

Not only we gotta score a shitload of goals, we need to keep a clean sheet and half our team got yellows. Jozy and Gio are probably the top attacking duo in the league. If we had, say DDR we would have had him in there with Iraola with Bravo as the legs today. We can't extend either Lampard or Pirlo. They don't have the legs to go against high workrate midfields.

I just looked up the numbers -- 7-0-1 in last eight home games, 24 goals scored, nine goals conceded.

So this thing isn't over, but we better play our best game in franchise history.
We need to improve our average by a third. Going both ways. The shit was lost today.

Our money would be better used going to Jersey to cheer for MTL.

What made me sad was there were a few plays (including the goal after his own giveaway) where he actually gave up and stopped playing. That's unforgivable. Talent or not, I lost all love for him.

I recall a play where he was walking back to his line, and as a result kept Toronto onsides for a goal scoring opportunity.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Status
Not open for further replies.