Potential Loanees From Manchester City

Jason Kreis said on the MLS Live special that h probably won't take all 4. Sounds like 2 the way I heard it, 1 definite in his mind.

I am not going to say that these guys would be starters, because obviously I have never watched them play a game in person and even if I did I am nowhere near qualified to figure out if their play can translate to the pro level. But some things to consider, Man City has a freaking awesome academy, and it is just getting better because they have the money to invest in some of the best scouts. Recently, players such as Micah Richards, Boyata, John Guidetti, marcos lopes, karim rekik have all played in the Academy, and are pretty damn good players.

Rekik- spent two seasons on loan playing in the championship in England, and then had a stellar year at psv eindhoven. Denayer is the same age as him. Not saying that Denayer will be as successful as Rekik, but someone has to take a chance on the youth. And sometimes the pay off is phenomenal, and sometimes there is no pay off. In Rekik's case, I am sure no fan at psv endihoven thought a kid who played in the championship would be starting in their central defense.

Some people would argue that we should take the international slots and give it to mediocre yet proven players. However, with these players.....it seems like there is a possibility that their talent will pay dividends. And with a coach who is excellent at getting the best out of his youth players, why not?

If you wanted to go for a striker who has shown he has talent by has been in the slump like CJ Sapong for instance, it may actually be better to have a guy like Pozo start. People might say why go for something new when you have a proven goal scorer such as Sapong in the lineup? Well, with the youth, especially the talented youth coming from an academy in manchester city; it is the matter of the difference in their mental states. Sapong confidence could be down when he comes, however, with Pozo, he is going to be giving everything he has to try and prove himself so he can catch the eye of the 1st team in Manchester. Also, he won't have much expectations on him.

With that said, I think there is a significant chance Fofana, Denayer, and Pozo can start next season. And I think they can be impact players. And I base this opinion on the success of those before them, and the heaping praise that they have been getting.

If players like Fofana, Denayer and Pozo went in the college draft- they would go top 5 for sure.

Too bad Danny Barbir left MC. I'd have liked to see him come over a bit (probably a year away from being able to meaningfully contribute at MLS anyway). From what I understand, he's an extremely talented passer from the back and has great speed and skills to go along with his size. Couldn't y'all have just let the guy play CB?

Reactions: SebastianBlue
Too bad Danny Barbir left MC. I'd have liked to see him come over a bit (probably a year away from being able to meaningfully contribute at MLS anyway). From what I understand, he's an extremely talented passer from the back and has great speed and skills to go along with his size. Couldn't y'all have just let the guy play CB?

I believe it was his touch, passing range, and calmness in possession that lead the youth coaches to try to convince him to focus his development at fullback (one quote I heard awhile ago was that they thought these attributes were his greatest strengths, apart from his general defensive prowess, and that developing him at centreback would waste them and lead to a middling career). The fact that he began as a forward probably helped them come to that conclusion as well. He would have been a fairly tall leftback, I'll give you that.

That said, he still has every opportunity at West Brom, and I wish the lad the best of luck.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I believe it was his touch, passing range, and calmness in possession that lead the youth coaches to try to convince him to focus his development at fullback (one quote I heard awhile ago was that they thought these attributes were his greatest strengths, apart from his general defensive prowess, and that developing him at centreback would waste them and lead to a middling career). The fact that he began as a forward probably helped them come to that conclusion as well. He would have been a fairly tall leftback, I'll give you that.

That said, he still has every opportunity at West Brom, and I wish the lad the best of luck.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I'd come down on the side of MC's staff in all likelihood, so I don't get him being fixated (assuming that's so) on central defense. From you and everything else I've heard, he sounds like he'd be dangerous at LB or DM. If he's so big and fast and skilled, maybe us Yanks can look forward to our own Yaya...

Forgetting my delusions of him being anything close to that, the best thing I've heard regarding him at CB are some suggestions that he is quite dangerous eating up space if the defense gives it. I love seeing a skilled CB do that from time to time. Unfortunately, since I am a fan of teams whose CBs are...less skilled... I usually just shit myself when it happens (thanks US and LFC).

I remember Kompany making a really long run with the ball on a bit of a breakaway last season during some game around holidays and drawing a foul near the box. That's exciting and impressive, but I prefer seeing a good CB push forward from the halfway line when the opponent sits deep. I believe forcing decisions from opponents is the best way to be dangerous as a team in attack. The more each defender is forced into a quick determination of whether to step or slide or hold his position, the better the likelihood for a mistake. That's a little Midas Phooty Philosophy at no charge.

Reactions: SebastianBlue
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I'd come down on the side of MC's staff in all likelihood, so I don't get him being fixated (assuming that's so) on central defense. From you and everything else I've heard, he sounds like he'd be dangerous at LB or DM. If he's so big and fast and skilled, maybe us Yanks can look forward to our own Yaya...

Forgetting my delusions of him being anything close to that, the best thing I've heard regarding him at CB are some suggestions that he is quite dangerous eating up space if the defense gives it. I love seeing a skilled CB do that from time to time. Unfortunately, since I am a fan of teams whose CBs are...less skilled... I usually just shit myself when it happens (thanks US and LFC).

I remember Kompany making a really long run with the ball on a bit of a breakaway last season during some game around holidays and drawing a foul near the box. That's exciting and impressive, but I prefer seeing a good CB push forward from the halfway line when the opponent sits deep. I believe forcing decisions from opponents is the best way to be dangerous as a team in attack. The more each defender is forced into a quick determination of whether to step or slide or hold his position, the better the likelihood for a mistake. That's a little Midas Phooty Philosophy at no charge.

Absolutely agree. Having played in midfield quite a bit Kompany is very good on the ball and does like to make those piercing runs from time to time. But those are high risk-medium reward decisions so they are not something a defensive coach would instill in a centreback's general play. City does play a high line which helps keep the midfield compact (and allows our fullbacks to get forward) and gives them a bit of freedom to read the game more directly, but Kompany takes care not to play fast and loose with the opponent's wingers/fullbacks.

Pretty sure that is just between two UEFA clubs, and would not apply to the MLS.

Possibly, but then international loans according to FIFA rules must be treated as full transfers anyway, and I'm pretty sure you can't insert a recall clause in a full transfer.

Reactions: Kinkladze
It is in MCFC s best interest to get 4 loanees here.

This is about growing a global brand. If 4 youngsters come here and do well and become in 2018 what a Silva, Kompany, Dzeko and Aguero are now - think about all the new MCFC fans they could attract.

It's all about marketshare and making more money.

It is in MCFC s best interest to get 4 loanees here.

This is about growing a global brand. If 4 youngsters come here and do well and become in 2018 what a Silva, Kompany, Dzeko and Aguero are now - think about all the new MCFC fans they could attract.

It's all about marketshare and making more money.

Winning is in NYCFC's best interest and the most certain way to grow the fan base and subsequently the brand. If multiple academy players can assist us in being successful then I'm entirely in favor of it, but the cart must not come before the horse.

Reactions: MagnusPax
If you aren't watching the game right now, the 17 year old Iheanacho is the best player on the field not named Dom Dwyer

Reactions: Vito
Per Kreis - they will let him take up to 4 players. All have to be U-21

Iheanacho looks very good. Impressed with his strength at 17. Wouldn't mind him playing up top with Villa

After 1H, it's obvious he can play against MLS talent