Pre-kick Anthem Suggestions (dialogue Encouraged)

DannyBlueFC

Registered
Jul 14, 2014
I may be getting a bit too much into the song/chant threads here but I truly believe that having captivating songs, chants and anthems are crucial to get not only the crowds at the stadium going but to also captivate those who watch the games from home...as well as the team! A perfect example of what I mean is when Liverpool fans ceremoniously sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" before each game (video below), prior to first kick. It is one of the most captivating spectacles in the game and something I believe NYCFC must have. It is clear that the emotion is thick when the fans sing (many actually cry). This is the kind of loyalty and fervor NYC provokes, from natives like myself to all the transplants that now call the Boroughs and its surroundings home. So, having said that, I am submitting my suggestion for pre-game anthem and I encourage others to do so as well. In my opinion, there are no better New York City storytellers than Simon and Garfunkel and the only song that comes to mind is "Bridge Over Troubled Water." They are both natives of the area (both Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were raised in Queens). Consider the verses to be a testament to NYCFC fans' loyalty to their new club, a friend to a friend, much like the Liverpool fans express in their storied anthem. Watch the Liverpool video and imagine it for yourself- initially 20,000, then 30,000, then 50,000, then 80,000 fans singing in unison. I encourage your suggestions and critiques......Dan V.

I like the anthem idea, but don't necessarily back the song choice (sorry). Perhaps a more up tempo version of the same song with a more inspiring treatment might be more appropriate....

one of the first songs i remember really liking as a kid(that wasn't a kid's song.) I can get behind it. There is also the willie nelson version that is a tad easier to sing ... I think ...

I agree the LP version of BOTW makes it hard to get a good sense of what the song will sound like in a stadium sung by 75,000 people. But I also think that if I had listened to Barbara Streisand's rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone"(below) before hearing it sung by the Liverpool faithful I'd have thought there is no way this song could ever be a sports anthem. Just my two cents....

I agree the LP version of BOTW makes it hard to get a good sense of what the song will sound like in a stadium sung by 75,000 people. But I also think that if I had listened to Barbara Streisand's rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone"(below) before hearing it sung by the Liverpool faithful I'd have thought there is no way this song could ever be a sports anthem. Just my two cents....

Pepper your angus

I have had a think about suggesting for an anthem, and it is bloody hard.
Especially if you are looking for an anthem for you all to join in and sing like Bluemoon or You'll Never Walk Alone.
I had a trawl through the 60's songs on my itunes (only 6571 items) and came up with one that I think fits, whether you are talking about a woman or a football team. AND I can visualise a crowd singing it as well.
I give you ...

There was a chart/table created on another thread with numerous suggestions. So yes it really is about time there was a vote on the matter. It could be done via these forums or the Third Rail. The club do access these forums so would probably go with it unless they intend to create a customised anthem. I guess there's no immediate rush either but the club could start putting the theme in videos, etc until big kickoff next year.

I have had a think about suggesting for an anthem, and it is bloody hard.
Especially if you are looking for an anthem for you all to join in and sing like Bluemoon or You'll Never Walk Alone.
I had a trawl through the 60's songs on my itunes (only 6571 items) and came up with one that I think fits, whether you are talking about a woman or a football team. AND I can visualise a crowd singing it as well.
I give you ...
I like this. Change a couple words around and it could be a NYCFC classic. Great suggestion.