Premier League 16/17

This can't end well.
Before I go on a rant, I will say I am a big Bayern fan and did not totally enjoy the style of soccer brought in by Pep.

One of the things I wondered about with his strict diets and such was the possibility of that affecting the players' health, namely their strength over time. The past two seasons Bayern had health problems with many players getting injured around late February/early March time period. Having read that article as well, I'm curious to see what you guys and girls think: Is this "Lighter" diet a good thing for players, or does it end up hurting them, especially later on in the season. This could also be a reason in why Götze never got as much playing time after he came back from injury, maybe Pep thought he was too fat (he is a stockier player).

I, for one, believe that it may help the players to get "in shape" (if you play soccer professionally, I doubt you're "out of shape" often) but only helps the players in the short term. Energy and strength are needed, and in a league where the play is incredibly physical in comparison to other top leagues in the world, Pep may be shooting City in the foot by doing this. I think there is a very strong chance that MCFC will be doing decently well until January, when an injury bug may hit due to their salads only diet and lack of a winter break.

To note, I am not one to have decent knowledge of the human body, nor what is best for it when it comes to professional soccer diets. Just an insight into this.

Before I go on a rant, I will say I am a big Bayern fan and did not totally enjoy the style of soccer brought in by Pep.

One of the things I wondered about with his strict diets and such was the possibility of that affecting the players' health, namely their strength over time. The past two seasons Bayern had health problems with many players getting injured around late February/early March time period. Having read that article as well, I'm curious to see what you guys and girls think: Is this "Lighter" diet a good thing for players, or does it end up hurting them, especially later on in the season. This could also be a reason in why Götze never got as much playing time after he came back from injury, maybe Pep thought he was too fat (he is a stockier player).

I, for one, believe that it may help the players to get "in shape" (if you play soccer professionally, I doubt you're "out of shape" often) but only helps the players in the short term. Energy and strength are needed, and in a league where the play is incredibly physical in comparison to other top leagues in the world, Pep may be shooting City in the foot by doing this. I think there is a very strong chance that MCFC will be doing decently well until January, when an injury bug may hit due to their salads only diet and lack of a winter break.

To note, I am not one to have decent knowledge of the human body, nor what is best for it when it comes to professional soccer diets. Just an insight into this.
I just meant telling people they can't eat pizza is mean and makes them unhappy. But this too.:pizza::D
Also my biddy here at work is a big Bayern fan and thinks Pep is to blame for some of their injury issues, although he never mentioned diet.

Reactions: Schwallacus

Weight is a huge factor for any endurance sport, and I'd count soccer as needing endurance (as well as speed). When running, every pound lost is equal to 2sec/mile faster pace. Lose 5 lbs and that's 10secs each mile you've cut, or seen another way, less fatigue and 50-80meters more distance covered in the same time. When sprinting, it can be the difference of creating separation with the defender enough to not be grabbed or tackled.

There is a fine line between being too lean with not enough muscle, so that has to be considered by the training staff.

Is there evidence that he only allows his players to eat salad? If not, there's a massive spectrum between pizza and salad-only that includes a ton of hearty, robust foods :S

Reactions: Ulrich
Is there evidence that he only allows his players to eat salad? If not, there's a massive spectrum between pizza and salad-only that includes a ton of hearty, robust foods :S
I wonder if he considers flat-bread to be pizza?

image.png
Pep is brain. Players are Heart and Tongue

Wolves and their new big money Chinese owners with links to super agent Jorge Mendes appoint Walter Zenga manager. Now I know this is championship not EPL but I don't think it's necessary to create a separate thread for English lower leagues (if anyone disagrees feel free) With the new Cash and Mendes connection we could well soon see Wolves at the top of the promotion pack (pun mostly intended )

Wolves and their new big money Chinese owners with links to super agent Jorge Mendes appoint Walter Zenga manager. Now I know this is championship not EPL but I don't think it's necessary to create a separate thread for English lower leagues (if anyone disagrees feel free) With the new Cash and Mendes connection we could well soon see Wolves at the top of the promotion pack (pun mostly intended )
So Zenga is the first MLS teeth-cut manager that gets to an English league? And except for his gig at Palermo, everything since has been the model of a carpet bagging journeyman.

Somewhere Bob Bradley just kicked the trash can across the room...

So Zenga is the first MLS teeth-cut manager that gets to an English league? And except for his gig at Palermo, everything since has been the model of a carpet bagging journeyman.

Somewhere Bob Bradley just kicked the trash can across the room...

HEH I get your point. I think this is all about connections he has to Mendes. I did like when Zenga was coaching here way back in the day and would argue against shootouts and the other nonsense going on back them.

HEH I get your point. I think this is all about connections he has to Mendes. I did like when Zenga was coaching here way back in the day and would argue against shootouts and the other nonsense going on back them.
He was sensible about the MLS 1.0 craziness but I never thought he was a standout manager. Good for him to make a career of it though! He's never been out of work and that's something to be proud of.

Isn't there noise about Bradley taking over at Hull?
Not sure, but is Hull expected to stay up this season? Bradley has a pretty good gig at Le Havre and should be in contention for promotion - which in many ways would be a giant feather in his cap. Then again, promoting to the French top flight isn't the same as coaching in the EPL....

#priorities

So now that fixture times have been announced it looks my best options for seeing a game during my short trip to England in September will be:

Everton at Sunderland Monday Sept. 12

or

Newcastle at QPR Tuesday Sept 13

Though Brighton at Fulham (also on Sept. 13) is also a possibility.

The game at QPR is a lot more convenient to where we will be staying in London (only a 10-12 minute drive) whereas the Sunderland game is about 75 minutes from our accommodations in York. But of course it would be nice to see a premier league game.

Any thoughts/suggestions from any of our English members (or anyone else)?

Not sure, but is Hull expected to stay up this season? Bradley has a pretty good gig at Le Havre and should be in contention for promotion - which in many ways would be a giant feather in his cap. Then again, promoting to the French top flight isn't the same as coaching in the EPL....

#priorities
He's the sporting director at Le Harve. I think that means he basically runs that entire organization from the ground up. Not sure why he'd want to leave his position of stability and authority for a team in relative turmoil like Hull.

Fans hate the ownership and it's a huge cluster fuck at the club. As far as I have read.

Le Harve looks Fantastic in comparison.

So now that fixture times have been announced it looks my best options for seeing a game during my short trip to England in September will be:

or

The game at QPR is a lot more convenient to where we will be staying in London (only a 10-12 minute drive) whereas the Sunderland game is about 75 minutes from our accommodations in York. But of course it would be nice to see a premier league game.

With no real experience ever being in England I'd either recommend a trip to watch an EPL match or a trip to Craven Cottage.

Reactions: Lasker
So, what Americans are (or may be) playing in the Premier League this season?

Geoff Cameron - Stoke City
Emerson Hyndman - Bournemouth
Brad Guzan - Middlesborough (presumably)
DeAndre Yedlin - Tottenham, but may be loaned again to Sunderland or another side.
Cameron Carter-Vickers - Tottenham, but may be loaned.
Matt Miazga - Chelsea, but will presumably be loaned.
Gedion Zelalem - Arsenal, but will presumably be loaned.

Should add Lyndon Gooch at Sunderland. He's had short loans the last two years, and he may get loaned out again, but maybe he makes the senior squad.

or

The game at QPR is a lot more convenient to where we will be staying in London (only a 10-12 minulte drive) whereas the Sunderland game is about 75 minutes from our accommodations in York. But of course it would be nice to see a premier league game.

Been to Loftus road a few years ago. Nice old stadium , rather small but that's part of it's charm.

Reactions: Lasker

or

I'm warning you now, if you go to the Sunderland game, you will have to be very careful about getting back to your hotel. There's only one train back to York at that time, leaving at 22:11 - I know that the train station is only just across the river from the stadium but even then you may not find that 30 minutes is enough - it'll take you 10 minutes to walk back to the station, and that's giving you no time to hang around, go shopping for souvenirs after the game, go to the bathroom etc. It can be done but it's a risk, and your next train after that is at 5am.

I would do the QPR game just for the timing. The tube stays open all night and you'll be able to walk it or take a taxi if push comes to shove. That said, what are your dates? I would've thought there would be a way to make a PL game work somehow.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Lasker
Thanks for the heads up on the train issue at Sunderland, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for that possibility since I'll be with my parents and they don't move quickly. I'm flying into Manchester Sunday morning and out of London on Saturday, so near perfect anti-timing as far as catching a PL game. 90% chance we'll be going to Loftus Road unless I fail to get the tickets for what I would think would be a pretty high demand game. Even though I've read that it isn't a very appealing stadium I'm thinking it should be a good atmosphere.