Preseason - February 15 - St. Louis

looks like we gave up another penalty.

but we're scoring on set pieces, so that's nice. martins getting on the end of set pieces is also good for us.

I’m cautiously optimistic about Thiago on the wing. He’s so fast on the ball, he’s an issue for opponents. If he can develop some additional quality with the pass and decision making he could be dangerous. He’ll benefit from lots of regular game time.

Now i know we're only seeing select footage, but from the highlights...
- Major stock down - Barazza
- Stock up - Magno - lots of creative goodness in there
- Major stock up - Gabi
- Stock up - O'toole - so good!

You forgot stock down haak... Not sniffing out danger on that first shot? Kinda looked like barraza was unsighted.. but iphone view is hard to tell ha

Now i know we're only seeing select footage, but from the highlights...
- Major stock down - Barazza
- Stock up - Magno - lots of creative goodness in there
- Major stock up - Gabi
- Stock up - O'toole - so good!
I know I'm probably biased on this, but I can't see "major stock down" for Barazza solely based on giving up a PK goal and a long range blast that went off the inside of the post.

Reactions: FootyLovin and JayH
I’m concerned our DP CF/LW isn’t scoring goals

It's very concerning, Talles scored 3 goals in 15 games (regular season + Playoffs) last year when he moved to the middle after Taty left. The fact that we are going into the season with Talles as our only central attacker when he has not done anything to show he can be successful in that spot is very concerning. We can't even slide him back to the wing if we want to because we literally have no other options.

Penalty call looked like shoulder to shoulder to me. Officials sometimes like to call very tight in preseason and first few games of regular play.

Haak had a very nice play bodying someone off the ball at 2:01. I think judging him for not closing on a shot when he was the only defender in front of net because five other defending players were strung out to his right chasing the ball and he had no cover behind him as a midfielder (until Parks and Morales came running in late) is a bit harsh. That said, he should know that when you're the 1 in an X-on-1 you attack the guy with the ball. If he passes off to someone wide open you did what you could. True in soccer, basketball, hockey, rugby whatever. But we also don't know what sort of special preseason instructions he might have been given, like maybe "no matter what, you need to work on sticking to your zone" - which of course the 5 ball-chasers failed at.

Thiago was both running past and through people. I'm not sure if he's unlocked another level or if St. Louis just didn't read the scouting report for a friendly.

Talles's bicycle/scissor whiff was kind of amusing but the header right after was solid, and took a good reflex by their keeper to stop.

Allowing their #10 to run through a half dozen of us and score from near zero distance 1 minute after we scored a should-have-been winner screams preseason effort on our part. I hope.

I also saw nothing to complain about with Barazza.

Penalty call looked like shoulder to shoulder to me. Officials sometimes like to call very tight in preseason and first few games of regular play.

Haak had a very nice play bodying someone off the ball at 2:01. I think judging him for not closing on a shot when he was the only defender in front of net because five other defending players were strung out to his right chasing the ball and he had no cover behind him as a midfielder (until Parks and Morales came running in late) is a bit harsh. That said, he should know that when you're the 1 in an X-on-1 you attack the guy with the ball. If he passes off to someone wide open you did what you could. True in soccer, basketball, hockey, rugby whatever. But we also don't know what sort of special preseason instructions he might have been given, like maybe "no matter what, you need to work on sticking to your zone" - which of course the 5 ball-chasers failed at.

Thiago was both running past and through people. I'm not sure if he's unlocked another level or if St. Louis just didn't read the scouting report for a friendly.

Talles's bicycle/scissor whiff was kind of amusing but the header right after was solid, and took a good reflex by their keeper to stop.

Allowing their #10 to run through a half dozen of us 1 minute after we scored a should-have-been winner screams preseason effort on our part. I hope.

I also saw nothing to complain about with Barazza.
Also want to add in the limited clips, Pelligrini looked nice.