Votes: 73 92.4%
  • Lampard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pirlo

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Saunders

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
First game I've been to this year! Was an awesome time, even though it was a long day.

Was super happy with how the team played.

I haven't watched too many games this year either, but does Mcnamera always hold the ball so long? I thought he had a very poor game and made the midfield have to work a lot harder than they should have. Thought Pirlo played awesome and was happy with Lampards play as well. Harrison as MOTM was well deserved as well. Does he always play that well? He was nonstop all game!

First game I've been to this year! Was an awesome time, even though it was a long day.

Was super happy with how the team played.

I haven't watched too many games this year either, but does Mcnamera always hold the ball so long? I thought he had a very poor game and made the midfield have to work a lot harder than they should have. Thought Pirlo played awesome and was happy with Lampards play as well. Harrison as MOTM was well deserved as well. Does he always play that well? He was nonstop all game!
Absolutely Love your last name Sweetie Italians God's Chosen People! My marriage is a mixed one I am he's not!

Reactions: Nick_nycfcfan
On chants I'm in the no "f***" camp. Far worse though is that there are still smatterings of puto chants at every game.

roxfontaine that's the next big improvement.

If I had the energy I would bring a sign to the next game and point it backwards at our SS:

Hey Supporters
No More Puto Chant
#orlando #usa #weareone

I think one challenge to eliminating the puto chant is that five idiots can independently do it. In a void, 5 morons can be heard. I think an alternative chant would drown out the possibility in the future.

What if on every goal kick we chanted: Oooooooooooooo We Are One!

Or some other dorky word/phrase.
I didn't hear it this week, thankfully. Maybe you were closer to the five idiots.

With replacements, I think you have to make sure it sounds completely different or the old one will creep back in.

Reactions: FootyLovin
And he picked NYCFC to miss the playoffs. Credit him for sticking to his guns, but it's getting a little onerous.

I actually think that is to his discredit. A good, objective analyst knows when to say he is wrong, explain why and what he now believes. If you can't admit your mistake, then you're just a shill.

He's a card carrying MLS 1.0 guy. He's spent years thinking MLS is summer special league where European tactics won't work, and only American coaches can succeed. NYCFC success is forcing all those guys to change hard held paradigms, that's hard for some guys

I don't think he's that dogmatic personally but there is some truth to knowledge of the American player being an advantage. Just look at the list of coaches who have won MLS cup.

Not sure NYCFC success is forcing anything at this point since I'm not sure what success you are talking about. Really glad about the upturn recently but we have a long way to go.

A couple points about the game that I haven't seen.

The team seemed to have a strategy to get the ball to Harrison as much as possible. They would even reverse the ball over to Harrison when effectively working the left side. A few times a player passed up a decent chance on that side to float a cross to Jack. It often wasn't such a bad move either.

I thought the ref was pretty good. I was worried about someone who is less experienced and tends to let things go, but I think he definitely got things right. More importantly the Red Bulls seemed to think they were at a diving competition and not a soccer match. They were flipping and flopping worse than a goldfish on the bedroom floor. Fortunately, the ref was having none of it.

I actually think that is to his discredit. A good, objective analyst knows when to say he is wrong, explain why and what he now believes. If you can't admit your mistake, then you're just a shill.

I've done enough defending of him so I'll stop here - he's not a shill though - we don't have to be sensitive fans that hate on analysts that are critical. If we make the playoffs I'm sure he'll admit he's wrong.

Anyway - so happy about this win because 7-0 was incredibly painful. I hate Jesse Marsch with an irrational passion.

A couple points about the game that I haven't seen.

The team seemed to have a strategy to get the ball to Harrison as much as possible. They would even reverse the ball over to Harrison whenever he was isolated on the right. There were many times that we were effectively working the left side and a player passed up a decent chance to float the ball to Jack. It often wasn't such a bad move either.
Crazy as it may sound, because there was very little good that came from the RedBull Wedding, but Shelton did show in that game that Conner Lade can easily be muscled off the ball by a bigger player. Jack Harrison abused Lade all game - and not only is he bigger and faster (like Shelton) but he's a ton more technical than Lade will ever be or can defend against. That matchup was the true mismatch in the game, the other being the lumbering oaf vs Villa.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
How Vieira was able to tactically get this team to play with such width and space with the physical limitations of the field was truly a work of art.
Thinking outside of the box

Doyle said the Red Bulls should have scored four. We could have scored three more. Pirlo's free kick was very close. Villa's shot at the end was nearly a goal. And if any other player on the field besides Mena had that 1v1 attack at the end, or crossed it to Mataritta, that would have been another.

We still need to finish our chances.

How Vieira was able to tactically get this team to play with such width and space with the physical limitations of the field was truly a work of art.
4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1, whatever you may want to call it, PV pragmatically decided to ditch the 4-3-3 for this match. Plus an uptick in our ability to play out from the back; PV (like the rest of us) saw how RBNJ's game is based on hard pressing with the assumption that their opponent can't play out from the back. But we could, and we broke their press, and then they had nothing.

Reactions: gbservis and adam
I don't think he's that dogmatic personally but there is some truth to knowledge of the American player being an advantage. Just look at the list of coaches who have won MLS cup.

Not sure NYCFC success is forcing anything at this point since I'm not sure what success you are talking about. Really glad about the upturn recently but we have a long way to go.
Okay, thanks for identifying yourself. I'm sure you can see yourself to the door, Matt.

4 goals? What am I forgetting? Other than the sitter Felipe missed, I can't recall 3 others they missed.

Reactions: Ulrich
You are a shill. You've had 15 posts, most of which are defending a verifiable asshole who makes excuses when our club makes him look like the self-defined, self-fellating Americana hipster wannabe shit for brains he is.

No respect and no retreat given from this corner. Go to hell.

Wow - seriously? I defend him because I love MLS and I think he's knowledgeable about it and we need more intelligence discussing and analyzing it not less. If you think fandom is just mindless positivity - and attacking with personal attacks people who don't agree with you, then I'm okay with you not approving of me I guess.

I'm not Matt though - I use the same name on Bigsoccer.

Wow - seriously? I defend him because I love MLS and I think he's knowledgeable about it and we need more intelligence discussing and analyzing it not less. If you think fandom is just mindless positivity - and attacking with personal attacks people who don't agree with you, then I'm okay with you not approving of me I guess.

We love NYCFC more than we love MLS.

Yeah, I'm the guy that thinks mindless positivity is a necessary component of fandom. Bro, do you even Midas?

And by God, you've outed yourself now. Your handle on BS is laden with pomposity. You are the big defender of allowing Mexico fans to empty their bowels as brains all over the US forums. Congrats You made your point.

And since I now know you are the same person and I'm not subject to your super mod status here, I'll say it: Doyle may well be more likeable than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23
Yeah, I'm the guy that thinks mindless positivity is a necessary component of fandom. Bro, do you even Midas?

Do you Midas? You said it's hard for you to dislike someone and it apparently took me 3 posts.

Hating on fellow fans of my team isn't really my thing - but I'm not here to troll. I said before I was done defending Doyle.