Red Bulls, Wright-phillips Failed 2 Penalties Vs Vancouver

TabascoDiva

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 28, 2014
Is it a good strategy that a player after failing to net in a penalty kick, to take the second one in the same game? It happened to forward Red Bulls Wright -Phillips and Red bulls lost the game. 1-2
I watched last night game June 20, 2015 game, with a lot of interest, to see how our rivals at play since they will be our next home derby with them.
This can happen to us or any team.

Had the coach asked my opinion (of course is just wishful thinking - coaches will always think they know best and don't give a damn about what if fans are smarter than they are) I would had said NO to Wright - Phillips taking the second penalty. Another player should had done it and even W-P should had said no.

1-The guy was already upset and had lost confidence from failing the first one
2- Goalie David Ousted read him like an open book and was ready for the 2nd W-Phillips shot, and knew which side he was going to kick the ball. W-Phillips demeanor gave him away - all hunched, head down, walking like he had legs of lead.
3- what are the laws of probabilities? 50- 50 ball goes in or out?

Is it a good strategy that a player after failing to net in a penalty kick, to take the second one in the same game? It happened to forward Red Bulls Wright -Phillips and Red bulls lost the game. 1-2
I watched last night game June 20, 2015 game, with a lot of interest, to see how our rivals at play since they will be our next home derby with them.
This can happen to us or any team.

Had the coach asked my opinion (of course is just wishful thinking - coaches will always think they know best and don't give a damn about what if fans are smarter than they are) I would had said NO to Wright - Phillips taking the second penalty. Another player should had done it and even W-P should had said no.

1-The guy was already upset and had lost confidence from failing the first one
2- Goalie David Ousted read him like an open book and was ready for the 2nd W-Phillips shot, and knew which side he was going to kick the ball. W-Phillips demeanor gave him away - all hunched, head down, walking like he had legs of lead.
3- what are the laws of probabilities? 50- 50 ball goes in or out?
Maybe you are right about BWP in this situation but I totally disagree with this as a general rule.

Had Mix missed our PK in extra time at Cosmos I'd still want him anchoring our PK shootout. If Villa misses 1 (or 2 or 3) I still want him taking the next PK. It all depends on who the player is and who else is on the team. Frankly, if you are a DP in this league, you better be able to bounce back from a missed PK and take the next one with 100% confidence. And even then, you are every once in a looooong while going to have a solid PK taker miss two in a single game. It happens.

I could have made at least one of those penalties. I mean try going to the other side one time and not making so easy for the keeper. Misses like that make me think BWP was told to miss.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
whats BWP's penalty record coming into this game?
he was the top goal scorer last season, and this season off the top of my head i think hes up there once again and has scored many pk's. giving him a second chance isn't a terrible idea. most teams will give their PK taker a second shot even if they miss the first.

Martin Palermo missed 3 pk's in one game

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin
Maybe you are right about BWP in this situation but I totally disagree with this as a general rule.

Had Mix missed our PK in extra time at Cosmos I'd still want him anchoring our PK shootout. If Villa misses 1 (or 2 or 3) I still want him taking the next PK. It all depends on who the player is and who else is on the team. Frankly, if you are a DP in this league, you better be able to bounce back from a missed PK and take the next one with 100% confidence. And even then, you are every once in a looooong while going to have a solid PK taker miss two in a single game. It happens.

It was so patently obvious that W-P had lost all confidence . Why not try to pretend confidence? B a better actor even if you are quaking in your boots.That is what bothered me the most, that he did not try hard enough to deceive the keeper on that the second shot, he kicked directly at him. He is a great forward but under this circumstances, W-P should had said no and not let his ego get the best of him.

But in this business event the best do miss it. I will always remember Roberto Baggio, with his cute pigtail, missing the penalty kick and Italy lost 1994 WC to Brazil...but he had a injury.

Look at what the USA did today. Wambach missed her PK, Lloyd took the next one. Clear conscience, clear kick, score goals.

Reactions: TabascoDiva