Rumor: CFG to start a Chinese Super League club, probably in Shanghai

Here's the link: Google.com

It's everywhere. Espnfc, world soccer talk, the sun, tribal football, the independent, chinatopix...

They all just say what I said so it's pretty much a waste of time to read any of them.

But back to the point, the difference between Melbourne,Manchester and Shanghai is that only one of those teams is shopping in the same aisle as we do... That's Shanghai.

Thank you. S sbrylski is such a jerk sometimes. He's like the doctor in The Hangover

hangover-04.jpg

I've visited the MelCity website a few times to see how their setup compares to ours. While there, I tried to read up on their games and seasons and find I just don't care. ManCity is in a league I'm interested in and various events in our short history together made me moderately hostile to them, but I mostly don't care about them either. OTOH I know other NYCFC fans have found themselves picking up an interest in MCFC. But I think getting US fans interested in the Australian league will be a stretch. As for China, maybe if they sign big names, and maybe for the newness and novelty of it, but I would be surprised if there is much cross-rooting interest among NYCFC fans for any sister club except MCFC.
This is kind of where I am with it. Man City is in a league I'm interested in and I love that the EPL games are on the weekend mornings when I'm generally hungover and don't want to do anything. Makes me feel a lot less shitty about myself staying in and watching soccer, haha.

I find myself rooting for Man City now, due to the connection, but I really don't care. Honestly, with the way this season is going, I find myself pulling for Leicester. But if the title race was between Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Man City, I would root for City. Though again, I really wouldn't care a whole lot one way or the other.

Regarding the other teams. I guess I hope they do well. Though I probably will never watch a match of theirs. Maybe if I'm starving to watch some soccer and there are not a whole ton of other options, and one of their games is somewhat readily available for me, I'll watch it. Maybe if the new Chinese team adds some stars that I'd like to watch play, I'd watch a game or two.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The point I was interested in debating is this.

Suppose Zlatan shows up tomorrow and says "For this price, I'll play at any of your clubs."

Now suppose they think he's too old to be at Manchester City but any of the other clubs are fine.

Where do they send him?

Will they send the better players to us or to them assuming the player is open to either?

To me, this is the biggest problem. There will be players, I think, open to either or maybe a slight preference one way or the other but could be convinced to go to the other club for a few dollars more. In those cases, what will CFG believe to be the right course?

For exposure's sake alone, he's coming to NYC. Until China has a league that's watched and is available around the world, NYC is still the #2 in the CFG pecking order.

But it's not even from wealthy businessmen.

It's from wealthy businessmen that got the money (and probably orders to use it) via an oversized TV contract from the government and one of its TV channels.

Building the league is a direct pet project of the Chinese President.

The money received by Chinese clubs from broadcasters multiplied by more than 20 times from 2015 to 2016.

For the 2015 season, clubs collected just $9million from broadcasters, but that amount rises to $200million this year as part of a five-season package worth $1.25billion.

Reactions: Ulrich
But it's not even from wealthy businessmen.

It's from wealthy businessmen that got the money (and probably orders to use it) via an oversized TV contract from the government and one of its TV channels.

Building the league is a direct pet project of the Chinese President.

We can argue how stupid it is, considering the amount of people in China who probably could use the money.

But that is huge for the growth of sport overall.

ugh, and we can argue the same about this country as well. :oops:
Actually, no. It would be a short argument.

The difference is that in this country, private individuals and not the government has created the soccer league, and it's developed ties with media companies not affiliated with the government. In China, any and all "private" money is actually just an extension of the government's tentacles by way of "The Party" - none of those rich Chinese would have ever achieved their positions without sucking at the power teat of the regime; and in turn, the media companies of China are state-owned/sponsored, so anything they throw to the league is one-degree removed from coming straight from the government coffers.

For the US to be in a similar position, it would be like PBS sponsoring MLS with a $200M broadcast contract. If that happened, then yes, one could argue that there are people in this country that could better use the money, which is what the case is in China. However since the MLS owners and ESPN are not government sponsored, the similarities aren't valid.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur

The difference is that in this country, private individuals and not the government has created the soccer league, and it's developed ties with media companies not affiliated with the government. In China, any and all "private" money is actually just an extension of the government's tentacles by way of "The Party" - none of those rich Chinese would have ever achieved their positions without sucking at the power teat of the regime; and in turn, the media companies of China are state-owned/sponsored, so anything they throw to the league is one-degree removed from coming straight from the government coffers.

For the US to be in a similar position, it would be like PBS sponsoring MLS with a $200M broadcast contract. If that happened, then yes, one could argue that there are people in this country that could better use the money, which is what the case is in China. However since the MLS owners and ESPN are not government sponsored, the similarities aren't valid.

but but but single entity is evil and a closed soccer system is the worst thing in this planet.

well the CFG is part owned by CITIC group which is a chinese state owned investment company. i read that the CFG are working with the chinese government on strategies to improve the CSL. would be pretty funny if they made a team as it would be part owned by the people who run the league, like Garber setting up his own team.

whatever happens i don't see this negatively affecting NYCFC, apart from the 4 international players the chinese team would have chinese players which we wouldnt have got anyway. as for DP's, the last transfer window showed theres plenty of good players out there willing to move to leagues of a lower standard for high wages.

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!
long-live-the-fighters-o.gif