Is It So Crazy To Think The Team Might Have A Shot At The Mls Cup?

We'll have to see. I'd like to see better organization from our defense and crisper finishing in the final third before I entertain such notions. Worth noting that for all the talk about playoffs being a crapshoot, MLS Cup mostly went chalk last year: FCD Dallas over Van, LAG over RSL, Sea over FCD, NER over Col, NER over RBNY, LAG over NER. Only upsets were LAG beating Seattle (which was so close hard to call that a huge upset), RBNY over SKC (which most saw coming from a mile away), and RBNY over DCU.

You have to start somewhere and a cup is nearly always targeted as the first thing to win. Less games, more luck (has to favour newer clubs battling against a settled team) and a huge boost for everyone.
If the cup is the destination then just concentrate on the matches and see how far you go. Who knows, there is enough confidence and talent to beat anyone on the day, just make sure its one of those days they play.

Think you need to look up the MLS Cup on Wikipedia or somesuch. It's not just a cup competition - the MLS Cup winner is considered the winner of the league; the team which finishes top of the league table is not given as much credence as the winner of the Playoffs.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Think you need to look up the MLS Cup on Wikipedia or somesuch. It's not just a cup competition - the MLS Cup winner is considered the winner of the league; the team which finishes top of the league table is not given as much credence as the winner of the Playoffs.

If NYC needs a Cup first season, then US Open Cup is the way to go. It's not taken very seriously by many teams. I'm not sure I see NYCFC taking it seriously, especially as they won't have Yankee Stadium available for really any matches, but they could go far if they're willing to put out a top lineup.

Reactions: Paul and BxLio91
If NYC needs a Cup first season, then US Open Cup is the way to go. It's not taken very seriously by many teams. I'm not sure I see NYCFC taking it seriously, especially as they won't have Yankee Stadium available for really any matches, but they could go far if they're willing to put out a top lineup.

Yep, agree.

Changing the subject a bit, why are many MLS media types so high on Orlando? Like TFC they have an unproven coach. He miiight be good, but he could also be just like when Portland came into the league and had an NASL coach John Spencer.

He did well for them in that league but came into MLS and was a shit show! The soccer media are not questioning enough if Heath's lack of MLS experience will hurt them.

Think I'm in the unique position on here of being a fan of a team previously managed by Adrian Heath (Coventry), and I can safely say the guy was a disaster area. He was assistant for most of the time, but the tactics and training were pretty much neanderthal. If I was looking for a coach to build a team from the ground up, he would be extremely, extremely low on the list.

Think I'm in the unique position on here of being a fan of a team previously managed by Adrian Heath (Coventry), and I can safely say the guy was a disaster area. He was assistant for most of the time, but the tactics and training were pretty much neanderthal. If I was looking for a coach to build a team from the ground up, he would be extremely, extremely low on the list.

Dear lord, a Coventry City fan? You poor, poor person.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
I really think we can win it right out of the gates.

The East isn't in great shape. New England is the only real threat I can see.