Ryan Meara Tears Meniscus, Out 6 Weeks

I wonder if he would have been the starter today. Thought Saunders looked shaky. Fitzgerald looked ready, but I'm not sure he's a good fit physically. Didn't realize he was that small.

Reactions: Gene and USAfan6
Damn, hopefully Saunders can hold down the fort until Meara gets back. Fitzgerald looked decent, but like K Kjbert said he is small, very small.

Reactions: Kjbert
Saunders will be fine. Meara will miss what 2, maybe 3 weeks? I'm pretty happy with what we have.

Maybe Rawls will get a game vs Brondby?

Big thing to worry about for Meara was that he hurt himself 2 years ago, was a bench warmer all last year and this was his big break out year. This might be another blow to his career. Hopefully he snaps back 100%. Saunders is decent. I don't want Fitz starter and Rawls can't be ready. Hmmm...

Saunders looked scary back there. Like I said when we signed him, if he were MLS starter quality, we wouldn't have gotten him for what we did. Even if we did, some MLS team would have taken him on loan.

I mean, he's Joe Hart without the occasional great save. Basically, he's Brad Jones bad.

I can't figure out why everyone is so high on Meara. I get that he had a hot start in his rookie year but he's done pretty much nothing since. It's that certain that he'll just jump back into form from 3 years ago?

Saunders looked scary back there. Like I said when we signed him, if he were MLS starter quality, we wouldn't have gotten him for what we did. Even if we did, some MLS team would have taken him on loan.

I mean, he's Joe Hart without the occasional great save. Basically, he's Brad Jones bad.
I hope we don;t regret passing on Dan kennedy and Zac MacMath

I can't figure out why everyone is so high on Meara. I get that he had a hot start in his rookie year but he's done pretty much nothing since. It's that certain that he'll just jump back into form from 3 years ago?

He's been stuck behind a Top 3 MLS GK for the better part of 3 (2?) years. I didn't see it at first, but Robles has turned into a phenom back there for NYRB. Rimando has been on a different level, and Hamid is finally putting it all together - but Robles covers up a lot of mistakes for them.

I actually believe that right now Meara is not that far ahead from Saunders (that's where experience becomes a factor). Off course he has more potential and being a solid started would take him to the next level, but if that happens what are the actual chances of he staying with us.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Maybe it's a good thing this was only a loan.

I think we are short a keeper long term. I'm actually concerned about that. Don't need Manuel Neuer back there, but you do need someone who doesn't make mistakes.

Reactions: Paul
Akira Fitzgerald is listed at 5' 11. Nick Rimando is listed at 5'9. Worry about how he plays, not his height. I thought Akira looked solid against St. Mirren.

Akira Fitzgerald is listed at 5' 11. Nick Rimando is listed at 5'9. Worry about how he plays, not his height. I thought Akira looked solid against St. Mirren.
That's true I just had to look that up I didn't know that. I thought he was solid too. I have no choice but to root for this kid "Irish Ninja" come on that nick name is fucking gold.

If he was Nick Rimando, someone else would have signed him already. I'm happy to have the Irish Ninja, but my expectations are tempered. If NYCFC was that bullish on him long term, they wouldn't have tried to buy Meara as the long term solution.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT