Ryan Meara To Nycfc!

Surfing around, I came across this:
A player on intraleague loan may not compete against his former team during the MLS season (includes MLS games and all other competitions) and must remain with his new team for the entire season.
I'm taking that as he'd be a no go if the teams meet in the playoffs (bold italics mine).

I wonder if it was an issue like Meara wants to come to NYC, but RB won't trade him, so they are doing this halfway with the understanding that he will move to NYC once his contract is up? He can't be happy to be riding the pine.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's now official that Zizzo move is permanent. I'm not totally convinced with this decision.
I understand how NYCFC wants to build a team with a strong local identity, but I don't see how Meara success (or lack of success) are going to benefit us in 2016.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
"Both loans are season-long, and they include the standard non-compete clauses. That means that neither player can compete against their parent club; so when New York City and New York play each other, both Meara and Zizzo will not be eligible to play."

Another absurd MLS rule.

Hopefully we didn't just enter the friend zone with Meara

i feel like we did indeed enter the friend zone. as someone send earlier, i think the only benefit here is we get a reprieve for a year to find a permanent solution. it's just weird because meara is a goalie for the future, just not our future.

really strange.

Sorry but this was a bad move. Zizzo could have contributed, and getting rid of him forever to loan another player only on loan is crazy. And to the fact that any game essentially against RB Meara can't play in, kinda of baffling.

Please someone explain how this was a smart move, and I'll come back from the cliff.

Sorry but this was a bad move. Zizzo could have contributed, and getting rid of him forever to loan another player only on loan is crazy. And to the fact that any game essentially against RB Meara can't play in, kinda of baffling.

Please someone explain how this was a smart move, and I'll come back from the cliff.

The only way I can explain it is building a team with a strong core of Newyorkers. Team identity (that would attract more people) is being considered over team building (from a soccer point of view).

Well if you move away from thinking of it as trading a player(Zizzo) and more as an asset that equates to money then it makes sense. We essentially paid a bench player and spot starter for a GK. We now have more money to get better players. Meara has a tiny cap hit and we have another roster spot to fill with someone else.

Genuine question. I've heard a whole lot of buzz from my Yonkers buddys on Meara but I haven't seen him play much (I vaguely remember some RB game I went to where he was in goal). Is this a positive soccer signing or is it more the sentiment of having a native on the roster that people are excite about? Didn't get within distance of touching Robles for the run in...

I'm slightly surprised we let an experienced pro like Zizzo go just for a loan, but I'm sure Reyna and Kreis know what they are doing. Meara is surely a much smaller cap hit than Zizzo (probably some of the wages are being contributed by Red Bulls too?).

Genuine question. I've heard a whole lot of buzz from my Yonkers buddys on Meara but I haven't seen him play much (I vaguely remember some RB game I went to where he was in goal). Is this a positive soccer signing or is it more the sentiment of having a native on the roster that people are excite about? Didn't get within distance of touching Robles for the run in...

I just read that Meara hasn't started a match for RBNY since 2012, so there's no wonder why you "haven't seen him play much".

I remember reading somewhere that there's a top GK in the super draft this year. Can anyone confirm this and shed some light on that player? Maybe Kreis/Reyna plan on drafting that GK.

I'm not quite seeing the downsides other people are seeing with this.

1. Zizzo was the 9th pick in our draft, hardly a top asset. Zizzo was also projected as a bench player even for NYCFC. Had NYCFC put this in terms of "We've given up our 9th pick in the draft to get a player on loan" I don't think people would be as angry.
2. Meara's salary is about 70k, which is 50k less than MacMath's last year. That's 50k more in cap room to play with.
3. The situation with Philly hasn't gotten better. Philly is still stuck with 3 GKs eating up cap space, one a DP! Moreover, their leverage sucks. Not only do teams know they have to get rid of them, as time goes on other teams will be looking to sell a GK (i.e. Orlando. Thanks for that Ricketts pick!), driving prices lower.
4. RBNY turned down 300k in allocation money for this. You want to get the better of them? Take meara, show the wonders of NYCFC, including actual playing time, shiny CFG facilities (and connections to Europe, a big thing for the man with an Irish passport), etc. Make it so after next year, he's demanding a trade. Suddenly, RBNY are in a worse bargaining position than this time, with one less year on the contract and an unhappy player. If you make good use of that time, you might drive down the price. If he doesn't like NYCFC, well guess what you saved 300,000 in allocation money for the price of Zizzo offset by a year of services.