Ryan Meara To Nycfc!

I'm not quite seeing the downsides other people are seeing with this..

And keep in mind that Meara has had hip injury issues in the past and that's kinda a big deal for GKs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Genuine question. I've heard a whole lot of buzz from my Yonkers buddys on Meara but I haven't seen him play much (I vaguely remember some RB game I went to where he was in goal). Is this a positive soccer signing or is it more the sentiment of having a native on the roster that people are excite about? Didn't get within distance of touching Robles for the run in...
Hes solid. I think hes gonna be the starter over Saunders, but its a silly trade IMO. He cant play against RBNY (who we're gonna meet up with 4-5 times next year, we gave up Zizzo, and RBNY still owns his rights. Kinda a weird move, but I trust Kries and Reyna....hopefully (if Meara plays well) they just go all in on him ...

I'm going to go ahead and guarantee we don't see RB in the playoffs next year.
Petke has said time and time again that he wants to build a young team. Hopefully Austria will give him that opportunity after the 2015 season is over. As he's said, it will take a few seasons before they can be successful under that system but the longterm will yield tremendous results. RB will likely make the first round of playoffs next season but I doubt they would advance.

And it seems a few people think Zizzo would have done much better here. I can't be in the minority when I say Zizzo was chosen on the condition that RB release Meara on loan. All of this was about snagging Meara. The 300k offer. RB decides to play hard ball and protect Meara because they now have the upperhand. They identify a player they want, that fits Petke's system, and agree that if City picks up Zizzo, they will release Meara on a loan.

This isn't a case where A+B=C. It's more complex than that.

I just read that Meara hasn't started a match for RBNY since 2012, so there's no wonder why you "haven't seen him play much".

Sorry guys I have never heard of Meara but if this is true, why are so many of you excited by his presence ?

Sorry guys I have never heard of Meara but if this is true, why are so many of you excited by his presence ?
He used to be the starter for Red Bull, but because of injury he fell out of favor for Luis Robles. Robles proved himself a very valuable player which meant Meara sat on the bench of much of the past couple seasons.

He's also a local guy so there's bonus points. And he's young, 24 years old, so he's got plenty of time to grow into one of the top keepers in MLS.

Reactions: USAfan6
He used to be the starter for Red Bull, but because of injury he fell out of favor for Luis Robles. Robles proved himself a very valuable player which meant Meara sat on the bench of much of the past couple seasons.

He's also a local guy so there's bonus points. And he's young, 24 years old, so he's got plenty of time to grow into one of the top keepers in MLS.

Fair play, another difference in culture.
I was a local guy, but most (Man) City Fans would prefer to see Joe Hart in goal, even though he is from Shrewsbury than me !!! They would even prefer Luis Robles probably... Do you want the best or local !!!

Of course its the dream for the best local to win the big prize, but reality says its the best you can get will win it

I was a local guy, but most (Man) City Fans would prefer to see Joe Hart in goal, even though he is from Shrewsbury than me !!! They would even prefer Luis Robles probably... Do you want the best or local !!!

Of course its the dream for the best local to win the big prize, but reality says its the best you can get will win it

Meara didn't just play for the Red Bulls, he played really well before his injury. When he came back, he just couldn't force his way into the starting spot. There's very high potential there; after all RBNY turned down a big chunk of cash from NYCFC.

So he's local and probably pretty good. If he sucks, the local connections won't help him too long in a town like New York.

Reactions: Paul

We're a simple folk.

Maybe there is an asset that NYRB want (a player in the Super Draft, an international slot and player) that NYCFC doesn't have yet but might be able to acquire. In the short term, Meara goes on loan. If that asset becomes available (say a Generation Adidas player they covet in the draft who hasn't signed a GA deal yet) then a trade could be worked.

Genuine question. I've heard a whole lot of buzz from my Yonkers buddys on Meara but I haven't seen him play much (I vaguely remember some RB game I went to where he was in goal). Is this a positive soccer signing or is it more the sentiment of having a native on the roster that people are excite about? Didn't get within distance of touching Robles for the run in...

For me... A goalie highlight reel should have all his goals allowed. Then, I'll tell you if he's a good keeper. Position, distribution, hands, etc... obviously important. I'm being black and white on purpose, but show me the goals. That's when you decide if someone sucks or not. LOL.

Personally, this "New York identity" thing is great and all, but they better not be going all in on it thinking that will satisfy the "New York club not Manchester" faction. We're not morons. From Day 1, I've wanted Meara here. He's Yonkers born, Bronx educated times two, and looked good before he got hurt. A loan for a player that most think is solid seems weird to me especially because it's from the Red Bulls.

I know he probably loves his boys and the fans at Red Bull, but like most of us and most of the Westchester/Bronx folks, he was Red Bull because there wasn't another option. Playing in Yankee Stadium for an actual home team... I'm sure he's excited.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Personally, this "New York identity" thing is great and all, but they better not be going all in on it thinking that will satisfy the "New York club not Manchester" faction. We're not morons. From Day 1, I've wanted Meara here. He's Yonkers born, Bronx educated times two, and looked good before he got hurt. A loan for a player that most think is solid seems weird to me especially because it's from the Red Bulls.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that they're recruiting New Yorkers because they want to satisfy the "New York club not New Jersey" faction.