Scouting NYCFC's Next DP Signing

Is anyone AGAINST a Khedira move?

The only issue is that one of the articles said he wanted to wait until summer "to make a decision". We can wait until summer for him to arrive, but we can't wait that long to see if he will even come. If you are choosing between, on the one hand, Nasri maybe deciding for MLS over another league and then maybe picking NYC over NJ and LA versus, on the other hand, a solid DP who is 100% for us, I think you have to go with the other guy.

So who would everyone ideal and realistic DP signing be?

I think Honda is one of the few realistic option in January. He's almost definitely moving, and he's in a sweet spot for age, ability, and marketing potential to make an MLS move.

I do prefer a 1 midfielder, 2 goal scorers spread of the DPs, but I can also be convinced that now is a good time to buy another DP midfielder next to Pirlo. The new DP will be here a few years after Pirlo is gone, and while they play together, it could really leverage Pirlo's skills. But I'd replace Pirlo with a striker/winger DP after he leaves then.

That said, I'm not sure the right guy is there this January for the midfield either. I think the gold standard among the rumors/names kicked around so far is Sami Khedira, but that seems like a long shot.

Would everyone be OK with Khedira in July instead of Honda in January?

I can't see us paying a transfer fee.

539838.jpg

540873.jpg

541089.jpg

Whenever I see that NYC, NJ and LA are interested, the silly season alert goes off. That grouping can only be mentioned by an agent that knows nothing about MLS.

Player: "I want to move! Get me offers!"
Agent: "There is no demand right now, nothing."
Player: "Well create something that will show teams that I have options!"
Agent (thinks a bit): "Well, there is the MLS, either LA or NY. I'll put that news out right now!"

Reactions: shane88 and Kjbert
Player: "I want to move! Get me offers!"
Agent: "There is no demand right now, nothing."
Player: "Well create something that will show teams that I have options!"
Agent (thinks a bit): "Well, there is the MLS, either LA or NY. I'll put that news out right now!"

The best is when the agents do it with no understanding of MLS rules and claim a player is getting offers from a team that doesn't even have a DP slot open.

Based on only 3 DP signings so far? We have the richest owners in the league, who are accustomed to paying transfer fees in all their other leagues.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the actions we made for Villa, Pirlo and #10 are an uninterruptible trend.

I think our ownership group has committed as much start up capital as they are willing to at this moment. I have NO clue what the team finances look like at this moment. I do know that they want to turn a profit before making more player related investments.

Honda be interesting however their a bit of interest in him in Europe plus the Chinese league is gearing up to buy anyone who anyone again, believe Tevez is leaving Boca to become the highest earner in the world

Has anyone noticed the 3 DP previous signings were Spanish, Italian and English, do you think their pressure to sign certain players to attract a type of audience

Reactions: Kjbert
Honda be interesting however their a bit of interest in him in Europe plus the Chinese league is gearing up to buy anyone who anyone again, believe Tevez is leaving Boca to become the highest earner in the world

Has anyone noticed the 3 DP previous signings were Spanish, Italian and English, do you think their pressure to sign certain players to attract a type of audience

The Lampard and Villa signings were lined up ahead of time. They knew what they were doing there. Some of it was marketing related, but not because they wanted to attract people who are English and Spanish.

The Pirlo deal fell into their laps relatively speaking.

I will say this, for the flak I give CFG for not opening wallets like Atlanta has so far, the reach of CFG gets them to a point where an Andrea Pirlo answers their phone call.