Scouting NYCFC's Next DP Signing

The Lampard and Villa signings were lined up ahead of time. They knew what they were doing there. Some of it was marketing related, but not because they wanted to attract people who are English and Spanish.

The Pirlo deal fell into their laps relatively speaking.

I will say this, for the flak I give CFG for not opening wallets like Atlanta has so far, the reach of CFG gets them to a point where an Andrea Pirlo answers their phone call.

Well the CFG group are probably the biggest ambitious group in Football today, they want to make the 3 teams big and successful

I think they want to make big profile signings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a well known player for example Iniesta, Xavi, Fernando Torres

Well the CFG group are probably the biggest ambitious group in Football today, they want to make the 3 teams big and successful

I think they want to make big profile signings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a well known player for example Iniesta, Xavi, Fernando Torres

I think you are right. But they've matched up income with expenditures. If MLS revenue doesn't allow them to go out and buy a Giovinco or Bradley, they won't do it. There is a reason they brought in three guys on frees. They wont take resources away from the mother ship to invest here - not if the return isn't there.

These guys are running this thing as a business. It isn't a vanity project for them like some guys with their racehorses.

Khedira wouldn't be on a free transfer either though, he's under contract thru 2019.

It's called a mutual termination of the contract (i.e. CFG makes a double secret under the table "donation" to the Juventus).

Reactions: Kjbert
I think our ownership group has committed as much start up capital as they are willing to at this moment. I have NO clue what the team finances look like at this moment. I do know that they want to turn a profit before making more player related investments.
They better be prepared for more startup capital since we don't yet have our stadium.....

And I'm all for running the team like a business, but part of a sports franchise's valuation is it's marketing worth, and that goes up short-term with players' marketability via merchandising/butts in the seats, and long term via infrastructure (academy, facilities, and trophies/championships). Until we can start producing in-house the type of player we need, we have to splash the cash to get the right players (unless they happen to be out of contract on a free-transfer).

They better be prepared for more startup capital since we don't yet have our stadium.....

And I'm all for running the team like a business, but part of a sports franchise's valuation is it's marketing worth, and that goes up short-term with players' marketability via merchandising/butts in the seats, and long term via infrastructure (academy, facilities, and trophies/championships). Until we can start producing in-house the type of player we need, we have to splash the cash to get the right players (unless they happen to be out of contract on a free-transfer).

Yes, but you get a return on your investment for building a stadium. If you pay $16 Million for Sami Khedira today and he plays 3 years making $8 Million, your total investment in him is $40 Million. What is the yield on that investment? Maybe nothing.

Conversely, if you spend $250 Million on a stadium, that's an asset that you can keep more or less forever. Not exactly apples to apples here.

Yes, but you get a return on your investment for building a stadium. If you pay $16 Million for Sami Khedira today and he plays 3 years making $8 Million, your total investment in him is $40 Million. What is the yield on that investment? Maybe nothing.

Conversely, if you spend $250 Million on a stadium, that's an asset that you can keep more or less forever. Not exactly apples to apples here.
unless it's an asset like RBArena that nobody wants to go to..... then it's a white elephant....

Reactions: Kjbert
I think you are right. But they've matched up income with expenditures. If MLS revenue doesn't allow them to go out and buy a Giovinco or Bradley, they won't do it. There is a reason they brought in three guys on frees. They wont take resources away from the mother ship to invest here - not if the return isn't there.

These guys are running this thing as a business. It isn't a vanity project for them like some guys with their racehorses.

Speaking of which...
Middle East Airlines Start to Feel Pressure

The boom times are fading for the Middle East carriers whose rapid expansion has sparked a nasty war of words with European and U.S. rivals in their battle for customers.

Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways said late Sunday it will slash an unspecified number of jobs as part of a companywide restructuring triggered by slowing growth amid a weakening global economy.The Persian Gulf state-owned airlines have flourished in recent years, luring passengers from rivals by offering lavish amenities on their quickly-growing fleets of new planes. ....
But a prolonged slump in the price of oil and a more muted global growth outlook has hit corporate bookings in many of the emerging markets served by the Mideast carriers, forcing them to reassess growth plans.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/middle-...sure-from-weakening-global-economy-1482150048

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Speaking of which...
Middle East Airlines Start to Feel Pressure

The boom times are fading for the Middle East carriers whose rapid expansion has sparked a nasty war of words with European and U.S. rivals in their battle for customers.

Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways said late Sunday it will slash an unspecified number of jobs as part of a companywide restructuring triggered by slowing growth amid a weakening global economy.The Persian Gulf state-owned airlines have flourished in recent years, luring passengers from rivals by offering lavish amenities on their quickly-growing fleets of new planes. ....
But a prolonged slump in the price of oil and a more muted global growth outlook has hit corporate bookings in many of the emerging markets served by the Mideast carriers, forcing them to reassess growth plans.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/middle-...sure-from-weakening-global-economy-1482150048

New shirt sponsor for 2017?

DP in the next 8-10 years: Jack Harrison.

After leaving to Manchester City after several years at NYCFC having won all there is to in MLS, this Man United academy product is a great attacking midfielder for the Blues having won the Premier League and Champions League on several occasions. He declined to play to the English national team as Bruce Arena offered the young lad a spot at a January training camp in the US. He married an American and earned citizenship to play for the Stars and Stripes. DP money and no international spot.

Have them send us Patrick Roberts. He's as good as Giovinco right now.