Sean Johnson [Goalkeeper]

Official. he's gone.

Thank you for your time at NYCFC, Sean. Now I hope you never save a penalty and have the highest goals against in the league for the rest of your time in Toronto.

• Wow
Reactions: moogoo
Thank you for your time at NYCFC, Sean. Now I hope you never save a penalty and have the highest goals against in the league for the rest of your time in Toronto.

that''s not very nice.

i just hope he has bad games against us. :)

I am confused. Johnson left us for what seems like a 2 year contract at TFC? based on the MLS articles, they all just mention he's with TFC through 2024.

we couldn't give him 2 years? did we want to develop/sell barazza, and now freese, that badly? guess so.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
TFC said they signed him using TAM, so I suspect Toronto is paying him more than we were willing to.
I am confused. Johnson left us for what seems like a 2 year contract at TFC? based on the MLS articles, they all just mention he's with TFC through 2024.

we couldn't give him 2 years? did we want to develop/sell barazza, and now freese, that badly? guess so

Reactions: KevinJRogers
TFC said they signed him using TAM, so I suspect Toronto is paying him more than we were willing to.

obviously. but the amount increase isn't that much more than what we were paying him. this was discussed already and it was speculated that the only reason he'd go to another team would be length of contract. but 2 years is not that long. i can't believe the club let him go over a small-ish bump in pay and 2 years.

but it seems they want to get barazza and freese more chance to develop and they can't do that with johnson around.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
obviously. but the amount increase isn't that much more than what we were paying him. this was discussed already and it was speculated that the only reason he'd go to another team would be length of contract. but 2 years is not that long. i can't believe the club let him go over a small-ish bump in pay and 2 years.

but it seems they want to get barazza and freese more chance to develop and they can't do that with johnson around.
Giving Barazza a chance is fine, but what if it doesn’t work? Is Freese even confirmed? I think you can give barazza his chance with Sean John on the bench. Dumb dumb dumb. I think Sean walked because he saw the grass looking a lot greener in Toronto.

Reactions: Gene
Giving Barazza a chance is fine, but what if it doesn’t work? Is Freese even confirmed? I think you can give barazza his chance with Sean John on the bench. Dumb dumb dumb. I think Sean walked because he saw the grass looking a lot greener in Toronto.
More money. It had to be we just didn't come up to his number.

I was once watching a Yankees Old Timers game (back in the day when I didn't despise them) and Michael Kay was interviewing Moose Skowron. Someone somewhere had just signed a big free agent contract and Kay asked Skowron what he would do in that situation.

"Sign with the highest bidder," Skowron said.

Kay was visibly surprised. "Really," he said. "Why?"

"They'd trade us or sell us or do whatever they wanted with us," Skowron said. "So the way I see it, your career is only so long. Get what you can while the gettin' is good."

Reactions: FootyLovin

we couldn't give him 2 years? did we want to develop/sell barazza, and now freese, that badly? guess so.
I would guess that the club wanted to keep Sean, but believe enough in Barraza that they didn’t feel the need to offer him top dollar like TFC would.

According to MLS Free Agency Rules, the most Toronto could have signed Johnson for is $676,250, which is about $25K above the league maximum. That means he either had to be a TAM player or a DP.

Good for Johnson for getting the money. I hate seeing him go. I can only suppose the Club felt that much is too much for a goalkeeper - at least for what Johnson can do vs. a much lower priced player like Freese or Barraza. I just hope that we don't end up missing his locker room leadership most of all. I can imagine a younger goalkeeper stepping in, but not sure who takes over that role.

According to MLS Free Agency Rules, the most Toronto could have signed Johnson for is $676,250, which is about $25K above the league maximum. That means he either had to be a TAM player or a DP.

Good for Johnson for getting the money. I hate seeing him go. I can only suppose the Club felt that much is too much for a goalkeeper - at least for what Johnson can do vs. a much lower priced player like Freese or Barraza. I just hope that we don't end up missing his locker room leadership most of all. I can imagine a younger goalkeeper stepping in, but not sure who takes over that role.
For what it's worth, the MLS story said it was a TAM contract through 2024. So, I think it's fair to assume they just beat whatever we put on the table.

I'm gonna miss the guy. You can't pay enough for his kind of attitude and leadership. Big shoes to fill.

Except for DPs and limited voluntary TAM, it's a hard capped league, albeit with complications.
Every extra dollar spent on Sean takes away from elsewhere on the roster.
Dollars not spent do not save the club money, so any time a club chooses not to spend on Player A it is an indication they plan to spend on Player B.
The club intends to take the money it's not spending on Sean and spend it on other parts of the roster.
I keep seeing fans demand that the club tell us it has a plan.
This is the club telling you it has a plan.
Paying Johnson for sentimental reasons is the opposite of a plan.

Except for DPs and limited voluntary TAM, it's a hard capped league, albeit with complications.
Every extra dollar spent on Sean takes away from elsewhere on the roster.
Dollars not spent do not save the club money, so any time a club chooses not to spend on Player A it is an indication they plan to spend on Player B.
The club intends to take the money it's not spending on Sean and spend it on other parts of the roster.
I keep seeing fans demand that the club tell us it has a plan.
This is the club telling you it has a plan.
Paying Johnson for sentimental reasons is the opposite of a plan.

this is the implication. let's see if it actually happens. while they may have a plan, it remains to be seen if the plan pans out.