Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The days there are Mets or US Open and NYCFC matches, these shops will hopefully make a killing.
My reading is that City square may be open on non-game days and for special events but I don’t see anywhere that it says that it will be open all the time. It’s hard for me to imagine a full time food hall a la Urban Space or DeKalb functioning in Willets Point, competing day to day with the dirt cheap cornucopia that is Flushing. Heck, those places have a hard time in Manhattan with offices and foot traffic galore.

Which is a long way of saying I expect the same cycle we’ve seen at YS and Citi field and Red Bull Arena. The first couple of years the food options are novel and good and in some cases local. Then the novel/local vendors fall off or drastically reduce their footprint (see Parm, Mamas of Corona, Bareburger, Mighty Quinns). They are gradually replaced by chicken fingers and fries, because kids.

Even up in Foxboro in ‘96 they put in some stands aimed at the local Portuguese population including an amazing Linguica pizza. It lasted less than 6 months.

Of course the Yankees are worse. They don’t even have Franks hot sauce any more because they no longer sponsor the terrace.

We will get some interesting food options and then gradually they will figure out that they make more money off of chicken tenders and fries than Bolivian LLama Party can afford in rent, and I’ll be grabbing a Torta or a Chapli Kebab in Jackson heights or Corona Plaza and bringing it in. taqueria San Jose or the carts outside Terminal Market are my YS go-tos.

Unless they replicate the Mighty Quinn burnt end Nachos or the Citi field pastrami sandwich. I crave those.

My reading is that City square may be open on non-game days and for special events but I don’t see anywhere that it says that it will be open all the time. It’s hard for me to imagine a full time food hall a la Urban Space or DeKalb functioning in Willets Point, competing day to day with the dirt cheap cornucopia that is Flushing. Heck, those places have a hard time in Manhattan with offices and foot traffic galore.

the email didn't say "may be" but "will be open to the public" on non-matchdays. it'll be accessible through the parking garages only. let's not forget, the whole area is getting affordable housing as well and it could get foot traffic from mets games and people going to the nearby flushing meadows. just another food option. i'm sure if foot traffic isn't good enough over time, they will change how often it is open. but it is nice to know their intent is to be open every day.

prices will need to be competitive with all the cheap and delicious food choices around. so definitely have a point there.

The days there are Mets or US Open and NYCFC matches, these shops will hopefully make a killing.
the whole area is getting affordable housing
These 2 points.

If you figure we have 19 match days (probably more - 17 regular season, Leagues Cup, playoffs), 81 Mets, another 10 US Open, that's 110 high traffic days right there. Add on concerts, community events.

How long will housing take to build / fill? Once built, yes, Flushing / Corona is only a 20 minute walk away. But how often have you all eaten good but less good food options that were 2 minutes away instead of walking for the better options 15-20 minutes away?

Good chance these places can do pretty well I would think.

Reactions: Vallos
It will be practically a whole new neighborhood, with 2400 residential units, a couple of hotels, stores, and a school. There are also a bunch of new high rises being developed on the waterfront across the creek, on the Flushing side. I guess the hope is that all these new residents can sustain the food court.

These 2 points.

If you figure we have 19 match days (probably more - 17 regular season, Leagues Cup, playoffs), 81 Mets, another 10 US Open, that's 110 high traffic days right there. Add on concerts, community events.

How long will housing take to build / fill? Once built, yes, Flushing / Corona is only a 20 minute walk away. But how often have you all eaten good but less good food options that were 2 minutes away instead of walking for the better options 15-20 minutes away?

Good chance these places can do pretty well I would think.
I hope you guys are right but food halls like Gotham West that are not smack in the middle of heavy daytime office traffic have had real problems. Even Essex Market has had issues holding on to tenants. Turnover at Urban Space 45 has been pretty high, and it’s right next to Grand Central. Food halls are not slam dunks even if they are surrounded by big developments.

I really hope I’m wrong.