Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The days there are Mets or US Open and NYCFC matches, these shops will hopefully make a killing.
My reading is that City square may be open on non-game days and for special events but I don’t see anywhere that it says that it will be open all the time. It’s hard for me to imagine a full time food hall a la Urban Space or DeKalb functioning in Willets Point, competing day to day with the dirt cheap cornucopia that is Flushing. Heck, those places have a hard time in Manhattan with offices and foot traffic galore.

Which is a long way of saying I expect the same cycle we’ve seen at YS and Citi field and Red Bull Arena. The first couple of years the food options are novel and good and in some cases local. Then the novel/local vendors fall off or drastically reduce their footprint (see Parm, Mamas of Corona, Bareburger, Mighty Quinns). They are gradually replaced by chicken fingers and fries, because kids.

Even up in Foxboro in ‘96 they put in some stands aimed at the local Portuguese population including an amazing Linguica pizza. It lasted less than 6 months.

Of course the Yankees are worse. They don’t even have Franks hot sauce any more because they no longer sponsor the terrace.

We will get some interesting food options and then gradually they will figure out that they make more money off of chicken tenders and fries than Bolivian LLama Party can afford in rent, and I’ll be grabbing a Torta or a Chapli Kebab in Jackson heights or Corona Plaza and bringing it in. taqueria San Jose or the carts outside Terminal Market are my YS go-tos.

Unless they replicate the Mighty Quinn burnt end Nachos or the Citi field pastrami sandwich. I crave those.

My reading is that City square may be open on non-game days and for special events but I don’t see anywhere that it says that it will be open all the time. It’s hard for me to imagine a full time food hall a la Urban Space or DeKalb functioning in Willets Point, competing day to day with the dirt cheap cornucopia that is Flushing. Heck, those places have a hard time in Manhattan with offices and foot traffic galore.

the email didn't say "may be" but "will be open to the public" on non-matchdays. it'll be accessible through the parking garages only. let's not forget, the whole area is getting affordable housing as well and it could get foot traffic from mets games and people going to the nearby flushing meadows. just another food option. i'm sure if foot traffic isn't good enough over time, they will change how often it is open. but it is nice to know their intent is to be open every day.

prices will need to be competitive with all the cheap and delicious food choices around. so definitely have a point there.

The days there are Mets or US Open and NYCFC matches, these shops will hopefully make a killing.
the whole area is getting affordable housing
These 2 points.

If you figure we have 19 match days (probably more - 17 regular season, Leagues Cup, playoffs), 81 Mets, another 10 US Open, that's 110 high traffic days right there. Add on concerts, community events.

How long will housing take to build / fill? Once built, yes, Flushing / Corona is only a 20 minute walk away. But how often have you all eaten good but less good food options that were 2 minutes away instead of walking for the better options 15-20 minutes away?

Good chance these places can do pretty well I would think.

Reactions: Vallos
It will be practically a whole new neighborhood, with 2400 residential units, a couple of hotels, stores, and a school. There are also a bunch of new high rises being developed on the waterfront across the creek, on the Flushing side. I guess the hope is that all these new residents can sustain the food court.

These 2 points.

If you figure we have 19 match days (probably more - 17 regular season, Leagues Cup, playoffs), 81 Mets, another 10 US Open, that's 110 high traffic days right there. Add on concerts, community events.

How long will housing take to build / fill? Once built, yes, Flushing / Corona is only a 20 minute walk away. But how often have you all eaten good but less good food options that were 2 minutes away instead of walking for the better options 15-20 minutes away?

Good chance these places can do pretty well I would think.
I hope you guys are right but food halls like Gotham West that are not smack in the middle of heavy daytime office traffic have had real problems. Even Essex Market has had issues holding on to tenants. Turnover at Urban Space 45 has been pretty high, and it’s right next to Grand Central. Food halls are not slam dunks even if they are surrounded by big developments.

I really hope I’m wrong.

At different times I have had seats ranging from Category 4 to Legends and various in between. I upgraded to Legends for next year. With all offspring out of town and just one ticket it is less of a stretch beyond what I want to pay.
In any event, that has led to me being contacted by a New Stadium Hospitality rep who wants to arrange a call to discuss my premium seating preferences and blah blah shut up. I told him tell me what all the options and prices are and I'll tell you what I want.
He said a quick call is still helpful for him "to get an idea of the type of experience you will be wanting in the new stadium so I can provide a reasonable timeline of when your seat selection would be. "

I just wrote back that for 10 years we have been told seat selection will be based on account seniority, including when I took advantage of the 2023 Get Back In Line Promotion. If they are now saying that access to seat selection depends on what level of seat fans want that's a big, BIG problem.

I suppose they can do selection in tiers by premium level but within each tier the most senior accounts go first, but that's stupidly complicated.
K.I.S.S. Tell me what the options and prices are and let me pick by order of my seniority. I'm not interested in discussing seat aspirations and hypotheticals.

At different times I have had seats ranging from Category 4 to Legends and various in between. I upgraded to Legends for next year. With all offspring out of town and just one ticket it is less of a stretch beyond what I want to pay.
In any event, that has led to me being contacted by a New Stadium Hospitality rep who wants to arrange a call to discuss my premium seating preferences and blah blah shut up. I told him tell me what all the options and prices are and I'll tell you what I want.
He said a quick call is still helpful for him "to get an idea of the type of experience you will be wanting in the new stadium so I can provide a reasonable timeline of when your seat selection would be. "

I just wrote back that for 10 years we have been told seat selection will be based on account seniority, including when I took advantage of the 2023 Get Back In Line Promotion. If they are now saying that access to seat selection depends on what level of seat fans want that's a big, BIG problem.

I suppose they can do selection in tiers by premium level but within each tier the most senior accounts go first, but that's stupidly complicated.
K.I.S.S. Tell me what the options and prices are and let me pick by order of my seniority. I'm not interested in discussing seat aspirations and hypotheticals.

I think they are selling suites and premium sections separately from the general ticketing areas because they are looking to lock people/corporations into those areas. I feel like I remember that as part of an interview Sims did. So by that metric, the seniority seating thing is only going to be reliable for the non-premium sections. For suites, they're just trying to lock those in as soon as they can.

Well, it is really quite simple. Maximize income. What’s going to do that? Suites and premium experiences. So those people and corporations are who they are going to cater to first. Oh what’s that? We made a commitment to fans based on their length of commitment? Well we never said to what we are commiting them to. So we will only give them the priority we promised them for the regular experience. We would never make the big money people wait cause then they may not stay and spend their money.

I think they are selling suites and premium sections separately from the general ticketing areas because they are looking to lock people/corporations into those areas. I feel like I remember that as part of an interview Sims did. So by that metric, the seniority seating thing is only going to be reliable for the non-premium sections. For suites, they're just trying to lock those in as soon as they can.
Maybe. Just ask me if I want a suite if that’s the case. He never mentioned suites.
Or, this is a manipulative selling strategy that combines withholding information with hand holding and aspirational conversations in an attempt to get customers to commit themselves mentally to a certain level before they have the relevant facts. Then when the price comes in 60% higher than they thought was possible they talk themselves at least into something less than they envisioned for “just” 30% more than they planned to spend. It’s how a lot of luxury selling works. I’ve lived on the edge of this world for a while now in that I can afford some occasional luxuries but still have to be rather selective about it and I absolutely despise this process.
I know when I’m being managed.

Last edited:
So we are halfway through October…I remember reading that groundbreaking was set for Sept, then October…any news?

(Cue skeptical me who won’t be satisfied until shovels are in the ground and not trying to read into all the chaos from the downfall of mayor bottle service)

So we are halfway through October…I remember reading that groundbreaking was set for Sept, then October…any news?

(Cue skeptical me who won’t be satisfied until shovels are in the ground and not trying to read into all the chaos from the downfall of mayor bottle service)

Groundbreaking was supposed to be "early fall," and Sims said last month it would be in October. Definitely agree with you that I am anxiously awaiting that announcement

Reactions: Sabo
As best as I can tell from further emails, they plan to release and upsell seats in descending order of price and luxury, but within each Phase people will get to pick based on seniority.

The public service announcement takeaway for all of you is that if you have had comparatively cheap seats in the nomad phase and plan to upgrade at Sponsor Stadium, or at least want the option to consider it, you should reach out to your rep and let the club know your intentions, because they seem to plan to inform only the people they think are likely takers for each phase. Also do this if you're just curious and/or want to be sand in the gears.

I wrote back that I am potentially interested in everything but Suites and the new equivalent of Pitchside, so please keep me informed of everything else as it is released. I have had seats in a rather wide range of price and accommodation levels and moved both up and down (and dropped tickets and came back). Asking me what I think I will want in a vacuum of information is pointless. I can't give more guidance than that with the current info I have.

I further said that if the club really is planning to release seat category, options and pricing info on a staggered basis such that they want us to commit to Option A without knowing all the details of Options B through Z that's manipulative BS. Release all the info at once to all current STHs. Please and thank you.

But I don't think they are going to take my advice. I will be very pleased if I am wrong.

I really hate when companies put me in the position of choosing between being manipulated or being the problem customer and frustrating the CS rep. I hate it hate it hate it. But I do it, because I hate being managed even more.

No, I am not going to have a 20-30 minute conversation about why I want to cancel, and every question you ask will get the same response: "Please cancel my service and stop wasting my time." I'm sorry you have a script and get in trouble if I don't cooperate. I'm not paid to have this conversation so I'm not having it. Same here: NYCFC can simplify everyone's lives by being transparent and sharing info but they choose to be opaque so I end up frustrating my rep because I tell them that instead of speculating about my new stadium dreams and budget. I don't have current seat level plans or a budget. Tell me what the options are and I'll make a decision right quick so we can all move on.

Reactions: joe and Vallos

No news yet. Trying to stay on top of it and looking to provide updates as they come.

There’s a bunch of administrative action ongoing in support of construction starting, but no official dates or anything yet