Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think Etihad in the name is very likely, unless some other sponsor unexpectedly makes an enormous offer. If it is Etihad they will probably vary it slightly from Etihad Stadium to distinguish it from ManC's stadium.
there is an etihad stadium in australia too thats what they renamed their stadium after they bought melbourne

there is an etihad stadium in australia too thats what they renamed their stadium after they bought melbourne

Melbourne City play at AAMI Park, which is a different stadium.

Etihad stadium(non-sponsor name is Docklands Stadium) is an Australian Rules Football Stadium which changed its name to Etihad Stadium in 2009. Its used on occasions by Melbourne Victory and for finals games.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC
they can but their (orlando) stadium is only 150 mil and land down there is much much cheaper
Perhaps, but when you consider Orlando's majority owner, Flavio Augusto da Silva, is worth between $350 to $450 million, your point is rendered moot. There really is no argument in this case. CFG, regardless of any comparison, can easily finance their stadium 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Melbourne City play at AAMI Park, which is a different stadium.

Etihad stadium(non-sponsor name is Docklands Stadium) is an Australian Rules Football Stadium which changed its name to Etihad Stadium in 2009. Its used on occasions by Melbourne Victory and for finals games.
ahh i see i googled etihad stadium australia and also saw melbourne thrown in there so i just figured...good to know though maybe we won't have that same fate

Perhaps, but when you consider Orlando's majority owner, Flavio Augusto da Silva, is worth between $350 to $450 million, your point is rendered moot. There really is no argument in this case. CFG, regardless of any comparison, can easily finance their stadium 100%.
i know they can and they should....no beating around the bush to get public financing because that will just delay the whole process they have more money than they know what to do with.

Reactions: Vallos
I don't remember which one it was but one team in England had the owner try to change the identity of the team. They were navy and white (or something) for 100 years and he changed them to red and people refused to buy the shirts or wear the new colors. Just recently, like in the past few years.
That would be Vincent Tan the Bond Villain and Cardiff. Although when people started protesting enmasse and stopped coming he changed it back somewhat.
bond villian.jpg

Reactions: edurban and Kjbert
Thing is, while CFG may have splashed a lot of cash, trying to just use their cash to build a stadium in the middle of NYC with no outside support whatsoever may make the project colossally expensive. People talk about CFG's wealth as unlimited, but it's possible that they've worked out that the cost of the project would go most of the way to $1b and they've turned around and gone "that's simply too much" and decided that even 3 year delays are worth it if they halve the cost.

For all the posts, there hasn't been any news since the Columbia announcement and even that was just a consideration for a new stadium. So basically the last time where was any stadium news was when the Bronx deal fell through two years ago.

For the record, there's a difference between a stadium's name and it's sponsored name. If you don't like the sponsored name, just use the unsponsored one.

I hate sponsored names for stadiums. It's such bullsh*t. I like old-school classic stadiums with non-sponsored names.

You know, like Wrigley Field.

Other than speculative reports there hasn't been any real stadium news in quite a while. I can't see that with all the people involved in any stadium project, there wouldn't be a leak. So they have nothing. The read somewhere that the Columbia story was started by a booster. I have a feeling that they are waiting to see how it works out with Yankee stadium. It's a win win for them and the Yankees to just stay put. Other than the MLS pushing for a SSS, I can't imagine they're in any rush unfortunately.

Thing is, while CFG may have splashed a lot of cash, trying to just use their cash to build a stadium in the middle of NYC with no outside support whatsoever may make the project colossally expensive. People talk about CFG's wealth as unlimited, but it's possible that they've worked out that the cost of the project would go most of the way to $1b and they've turned around and gone "that's simply too much" and decided that even 3 year delays are worth it if they halve the cost.
Or then again, maybe not.

What about City Football Stadium/Field/Arena/Park/etc. May appease CFG while not being too "bow to your master"-ish.

What about City Football Stadium/Field/Arena/Park/etc. May appease CFG while not being too "bow to your master"-ish.
That would give us City Field and Citi Field in the same city/i. I don't think any party would be happy with that.

Reactions: Kjbert