Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1. City politicians are going to get off their high horses and let a stadium be built. There is no reason why the Bronx plan wouldn't work for everyone involved. Imagine if the borough president said the first Yankee stadium shouldn't have been built. That guy would have been a complete moron in the annals of history.

2. While that location in Manhattan is prime real estate, I don't think a stadium would be built there.
The Pros:
- A soccer stadium in Manhattan
- It's right next to the UN. The world's game next to the world's governing body. Think of the synergy.

The Cons
- No parking (though Barclays has proved people will take the train to the game, however we have fan bases in NJ, CT, etc.)
- It's right next to the UN, which means highest level of security always.
- The stadium would cost at least 2-3x of any other borough in New York. That land alone is probably worth $500 M.
- Right next to the highway which may be a noise problem for the stadium.
- The Midtown tunnel is underneath which may affect the underground level of the stadium and possibly the drainage system of a grass field (though this is the least of the problems).
I can guarantee you we'd have 1-2k extra season ticket holders if we were next to the UN. We may have problems late in the summer with security, but if they can work with NYPD/HLS we should be able to be away during high-security weekends. I would love it. Going to the cheap UN bar before games, then changing and heading over to the game. I'm all for it. I just don't know if the land can facilitate a stadium comfortably. Being in midtown Manhattan, we're going to need more than 30k seats.

I don't understand why parking is always brought up as something the stadium needs. Isn't the point of a stadium in NYC accessibility via mass transit? Even if you live further than a subway line there are park and rides all over the commuter lines. If you really have to drive and want a nice giant parking lot go to red bull arena.

By the time UN Stadium is finished the Second Avenue subway will be running also. You heard it here first.

Is that a trick statement? Because the 2nd Avenue Subway will NEVER open below 96th Street. There has not been a single dollar allocated to any of the south of 96th street phases. This will be an all-time civic planning disaster.

Reactions: Gavin23
I don't understand why parking is always brought up as something the stadium needs. Isn't the point of a stadium in NYC accessibility via mass transit? Even if you live further than a subway line there are park and rides all over the commuter lines. If you really have to drive and want a nice giant parking lot go to red bull arena.

What are some open air sports stadiums that seat 30k+ that don't have dedicated parking lots?

Who drives their own car in New York City? I've been there 3 times and the traffic is so bad that I wouldn't even want to drive much less have a car. Oh, and who wants to pay for those ridiculously priced parking spots?!

I don't think that we need a large parking lot. However, we do need at least somewhere to park for those crazy enough to drive in NYC.

Is that a trick statement? Because the 2nd Avenue Subway will NEVER open below 96th Street. There has not been a single dollar allocated to any of the south of 96th street phases. This will be an all-time civic planning disaster.
Hmmm. Not a trick statement at all. As far as I know 63rd to 96th as an extension of the Q line is mostly finished and set to open at the end of next year. Not guaranteeing there won't be delays of course. You can see the construction in the 63rd Street F station, and for a while there last year you could even actually see the new station until they closed the wall off.

After that's done they'll start heading up to 125th Street, and then some year maybe it'll go all the way down to Hanover Square (the T line). These are the parts that aren't started yet, but the 63rd to 96th part is nearing completion.

I realize that doesn't help plans for an east side stadium, at least not for a long time, but I don't think that's a realistic location anyway as the site's probably too small.

Reactions: gbservis
Who drives their own car in New York City? I've been there 3 times and the traffic is so bad that I wouldn't even want to drive much less have a car. Oh, and who wants to pay for those ridiculously priced parking spots?!

I don't think that we need a large parking lot. However, we do need at least somewhere to park for those crazy enough to drive in NYC.
Speaking as someone who lives in Albany, has season tickets and covers the team. Parking for 35.00 per car is a FAR better deal than paying 35.00 per person round trip on the Metro North from Poughkeepsie. So it varies based on many factors. Obviously any stadium anywhere needs some sort of parking/garage structures. For me Yankee Stadium is set up well, I can easily and quickly get back on the highway and am partway home before my train would even come.

Ultimately though I will adjust to the realities of the new stadium wherever it may be. I have spent loads of time in NYC so as long as transportation options exist that won't put me in debt, I'm solid.

What are some American cities similar to NYC? With comparable mass transit systems?
Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Parking is also a massive money maker (for everyone except the owners of the Yankee Stadium garages who took out too much debt right before Yankee attendance fell dramatically), so it's an important economic part of any stadium plan.

Remember how long the Yankees were talking about getting a new Stadium? Remember the Mets showed a rendering in 1998?!. Remember the rumors of both those teams moving? Heck, Giuliani announced an "agreement" for both in 2001! The new places did not open until 2009.

I point this out for anyone who thinks this can/will be done quick. It does not matter how much money CFG has. This is all a political game that plays out constantly in NY, the city AND the state.

Hell, look how long DC fought to get a place for the United. This is how it works in most major cities.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
Speaking as someone who lives in Albany, has season tickets and covers the team. Parking for 35.00 per car is a FAR better deal than paying 35.00 per person round trip on the Metro North from Poughkeepsie. So it varies based on many factors. Obviously any stadium anywhere needs some sort of parking/garage structures. For me Yankee Stadium is set up well, I can easily and quickly get back on the highway and am partway home before my train would even come.

Ultimately though I will adjust to the realities of the new stadium wherever it may be. I have spent loads of time in NYC so as long as transportation options exist that won't put me in debt, I'm solid.
As a fellow Albany resident and STH I totally agree! I park at the 161st St garage which is literally 100 yds off the Major Deegan (87). 2:45 door to door and basically no city traffic. Be doing it again later today!!
Put the stadium in Queens and we have another story........

Last edited:
There must be some parking near the UN stadium location. There are a fair amount of people who work in mid-town and commute by car. I don't drive but I work near grand central and I know some people I work with drive in. Since the garages are probably used mostly by commuters they should be pretty open on the weekends. Driving in for a week night game would be a nightmare though.

Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Parking is also a massive money maker (for everyone except the owners of the Yankee Stadium garages who took out too much debt right before Yankee attendance fell dramatically), so it's an important economic part of any stadium plan.
Only reason the 2009 Yankee Stadium was built was because the older one was "falling apart" which helped the cause of building a new one.

I bet we stay in Yankee Stadium for s long time, and that's not so bad. We can throw 50K in there for the big matches, and it still seems cozy when we have 25K. Some of the seats are not ideal, but there are more good ones than we had been expecting.

As a fellow Albany resident and STH I totally agree! I park at the 161st St garage which is literally 100 yds off the Major Deegan (87). 2:45 door to door and basically no city traffic. Be doing it again later today!!
Put the stadium in Queens and we have another story........
I park in the same one, I just cross the Macombs Dam Bridge, take Harlem river dr to GW and hop the palisades, I'm cruising through NJ 15 min after game ends.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
I bet we stay in Yankee Stadium for s long time, and that's not so bad. We can throw 50K in there for the big matches, and it still seems cozy when we have 25K. Some of the seats are not ideal, but there are more good ones than we had been expecting.
Since I've never considered myself authentic, organic or grassroots, staying in Yankee Stadium wouldn't bother me in the least.......and that whopping $5.50 off the Metro Card for the round trip is something I can deal with. :D

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert