Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Saw this today and thought it was interesting. According to the New York City Economic Development Corporation each home baseball playoff game generates $11.6M in economic impact. So even if we cut that in half (45,000 people at Citi Field vs. a normal match for us) that's still maybe $5M per. I haven't done any research on this so maybe it's less but still that's a lot of hot dogs, souvenirs, jobs, neighborhood restaurant traffic, etc.

That's a good bit of tangible benefit for a stadium. And I understand those people would also show up at Yankee Stadium too. Any economics majors on the forums who can comment?

http://www.amny.com/sports/mets-playoff-run-boosts-city-s-economy-by-46-4m-1.11008871

You are still completely missing the point.

For starters, those are bogus numbers that don't account for the fact that most of that revenue would have been generated by other forms of entertainment in the city if not for the playoff game. "Economic impact" is not the same as profits for the city or revenues or any other tangible number. It's made up.

But more importantly, the "economic impact" doesn't change if they are in a new stadium vs. Yankee Stadium. You'll generate the same impact on the city either way, so why should the city give 1 penny (or 1 penny of tax breaks) to the richest family on the planet to build a new stadium when there is no clear benefit?

You are still completely missing the point.
Yo dude, perhaps you should stop talking to me that way. Try being civil.

For starters, those are bogus numbers that don't account for the fact that most of that revenue would have been generated by other forms of entertainment in the city if not for the playoff game. "Economic impact" is not the same as profits for the city or revenues or any other tangible number. It's made up.
You might have to provide a little evidence if you're going to say those numbers are bogus. As I said in the post, I haven't researched it at all and am just quoting them. But you're out and out saying it's false. Based on what?

But more importantly, the "economic impact" doesn't change if they are in a new stadium vs. Yankee Stadium. You'll generate the same impact on the city either way, so why should the city give 1 penny (or 1 penny of tax breaks) to the richest family on the planet to build a new stadium when there is no clear benefit?
You're still putting words in my mouth that I'm not saying. Again. Nowhere did I say there should be tax breaks or any money given by the city. Why do you keep saying that? Especially given that I literally just said it'd be similar if they stayed in Yankee Stadium, which for some unknown reason you're stuck on. You may have to get over that as we may not really be all that welcome there in case you haven't noticed.

And if you thought about it for more than three seconds one advantage of having a separate stadium is that it would be possible to have simultaneous events in the two stadiums. That right there would make an economic impact that we wouldn't get by staying in Yankee Stadium. Not to mention a field that's the right size, or "front row" seats that aren't 30 yards from the touch line.

Yo dude, perhaps you should stop talking to me that way. Try being civil.

I'm jumping in here. This...

And if you thought about it for more than three seconds...

...is way more uncivil than anything FredMertz FredMertz said. You're getting defensive for no reason.

[O]ne advantage of having a separate stadium is that it would be possible to have simultaneous events in the two stadiums. That right there would make an economic impact that we wouldn't get by staying in Yankee Stadium.

If one additional stadium is good, why not two? Why not 10? Why not 100?

Therein lies the point. You can't force people to spend more money on entertainment by holding more events. There's only so many people with so many entertainment dollars, and the amount spent is considered static by economists. Having two events at the same time just means less people at a Broadway show that night, for example.

Not to mention, how many events are we turning away because we don't have a venue available? I would guess extremely few, if any at all.

Not to mention a field that's the right size, or "front row" seats that aren't 30 yards from the touch line.

Irrelevant and shows your bias. A new stadium would give you a better experience. That's it.[/quote]

Obviously there's bias for a stadium- in the NYCFC forum. That's the point, we want a stadium.

Hope the overlords pony up and get it done.

Studies and numbers can say whatever so I pay no mind, good or bad.

Reactions: Goodfella
FredMertz FredMertz you can't say that other activities in the city would generate economic impact. Case in point - I drove to the Bronx last night. I will not
Visit the Bronx again until March. That's not a coincidence. I'm sure 85% of our fans are in the same camp.

FredMertz FredMertz you can't say that other activities in the city would generate economic impact. Case in point - I drove to the Bronx last night. I will not
Visit the Bronx again until March. That's not a coincidence. I'm sure 85% of our fans are in the same camp.

Only go to the Bronx for sports. Same goes for Queens and Brooklyn. When I'm in Manhattan, I never leave the island.

Reactions: Jock and Kjbert
I go to Arthur Ave on occasion for breakfast. Very nice

You know the saying "Its a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there"? The Bronx is the opposite of that. It isn't as if there's nothing - Van Cortland park, Bronx zoo, Botanical garden, Yankee stadium, Wave hill. But there isn't a lot to draw someone in from outside.

All I know is, for myself personally, if come year 3 or4 we still have no stadium in sight and an indefinite future at Yankee Stadium, I'm going to revert to watching on TV and attending 1-2 games a year in person. It just doesn't feel right as our home (and I'm a Yankee fan) and ownership is taking 20k founding members for granted. I can guarantee that number will dip after next season if the team continues to play this way AND at Yankee Stadium.

I attended a Chelsea (my favorite EPL team even through they're **** right now) match at Stamford a few weeks ago and granted we're no Chelsea and this isn't the EPL, but the atmosphere was one of a kind. It will take years for that to happen for us, and I'm in it for the long haul, but this will never happen as long as we're at YS.

I was watching the video from the skydivers the other day and had a question.

Is this the parking lot that they were originally trying to acquire?

dbvxKNw.jpg

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Here is the the Columbia University Site

View attachment 3536 View attachment 3537
although you wouldn;t have the entire area in that outline to work with. The area at the top of your outline along the water is protected public access space that was a giveback to the community for building the new sports department building on the corner of 218 & Broadway. The Tennis Center (big white bubble) also gets lots of use as does the track. they would pretty much be limited to the exisiting footprint of the stadium which is enough most likely. I still don't see Columbia happening due to local infrastructure and community opposition.

although you wouldn;t have the entire area in that outline to work with. The area at the top of your outline along the water is protected public access space that was a giveback to the community for building the new sports department building on the corner of 218 & Broadway. The Tennis Center (big white bubble) also gets lots of use as does the track. they would pretty much be limited to the exisiting footprint of the stadium which is enough most likely. I still don't see Columbia happening due to local infrastructure and community opposition.
Yeah I'm sorry I got sloppy with the pen

Reactions: Goodfella
I go to Arthur Ave on occasion for breakfast. Very nice

I live a few blocks from Little Italy and love the area. It still maintains its aura of Old New York. It has not been corrupted by gentrification. If any Catholics read this too, visit Our Lady Of Mount Carmel church is beautiful inside, from outside it does not look like much.

However for best pizza in New York you have to go to Napoli's Pizza (Small pie is $5.50 feeds 2-3 people a bargain in NYC) 521 East Tremont Avenue, just about 10 blocks away from Arthur avenue.

You know the saying "Its a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there"? The Bronx is the opposite of that. It isn't as if there's nothing - Van Cortland park, Bronx zoo, Botanical garden, Yankee stadium, Wave hill. But there isn't a lot to draw someone in from outside.

That is fine stay where you are!!!! I have lived all my life in the Bronx and its my home. I love it here.

Last edited: