Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Done. I added the year in it too, just in case we want to start over next year with the thread.
I like the name change. Perhaps we can keep this one going as the "before" thread, then start a new one once an actual site and plan is announced.

I'll guess I can pass on the only bit of info I've gotten recently: according to folks in the construction/design/architecture industry, the belief is still pretty firmly set on the Bronx.
According to City Records, CFG have not as of yet purchased any land in NYC.

Reactions: Kjbert and Jock

Have the Yankees? Maybe it's financially legally better if a domestic organization buys the land? The Yankees could then just transfer the land to CFG for the same price they paid.

Reactions: Kjbert

Two things are keeping them from moving on the Bronx site:
1) Paying the (extortion) relocation fee to move GAL Manufacturing to a new site and taking over that land
2) Paying the delinquent taxes on the parking lots to effectively take them over. The city was ready to cede that land to them as long as they paid the taxes. Now that's not chump change, I think it was something like $30 mil.

Taking a complete swag at the relocation fee at $20 mil, that's an add'l $50 mil on the construction cost of the stadium. Which is why it's not done yet.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
I've been wondering if the GAL site could accommodate the larger size stadium most of tus think the club will need to build, if not immediately then via later expansion. It seemed a tight fit when everyone was contemplating a 20-25k stadium.

And LOL at the idea that a property owner refusing to sell for less than his reserve price is "extortion."

Iirc they raised their price once they found out how much money the Sheikh is alleged to have.

I've been wondering if the GAL site could accommodate the larger size stadium most of tus think the club will need to build, if not immediately then via later expansion. It seemed a tight fit when everyone was contemplating a 20-25k stadium.

And LOL at the idea that a property owner refusing to sell for less than his reserve price is "extortion."
I too question the area size. I'm sure we all want an intimate setting allowing fans to be on top of the action, but what we don't want are narrow corridors and concession stands.

Have the Yankees? Maybe it's financially legally better if a domestic organization buys the land? The Yankees could then just transfer the land to CFG for the same price they paid.
They haven't. I checked them too.

The team is legally set up as a company here in New York so I don't think there would be any issue either way.

Reactions: Kjbert
I too question the area size. I'm sure we all want an intimate setting allowing fans to be on top of the action, but what we don't want are narrow corridors and concession stands.
This is still America. Home of extra wide seats. I don't think that'll be an issue.

Iirc they raised their price once they found out how much money the Sheikh is alleged to have.

This is what happened. I believe that there was a deal in place, and then GAL figured out who held the purse and said no way, pay me more. So find their price and get it done.

This happens a lot. There was that church in Orlando who wouldn't accept an offer of something like 3x the market value and wanted a ridiculous amount because they knew they were the last piece. Orlando eventually used eminent domain to push them out.

This is what happened. I believe that there was a deal in place, and then GAL figured out who held the purse and said no way, pay me more. So find their price and get it done.

This happens a lot. There was that church in Orlando who wouldn't accept an offer of something like 3x the market value and wanted a ridiculous amount because they knew they were the last piece. Orlando eventually used eminent domain to push them out.
Actually, as far as I can tell, this is an Internet rumor that just won't die. All the confirmed news around this story points to CFG having a deal with the city that got pulled by the new administration. The GAL guy is quoted as saying he was on board with the proposed buyout and suddenly CFG disappeared because other parts of their plan fell thru.

I'll guess I can pass on the only bit of info I've gotten recently: according to folks in the construction/design/architecture industry, the belief is still pretty firmly set on the Bronx.

I am in the industry and I've heard something different ;)

Actually, as far as I can tell, this is an Internet rumor that just won't die. All the confirmed news around this story points to CFG having a deal with the city that got pulled by the new administration. The GAL guy is quoted as saying he was on board with the proposed buyout and suddenly CFG disappeared because other parts of their plan fell thru.

This is correct.

No they didn't. Orlando moved the stadium, now the stadium will be build almost right next to the church.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...nce-temple-orlando-mayor-buddy-dyer-city-hall