• Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There is more crime.
Taxes are higher.
His electoral base is unhappy.

I think the biggest thing working against him is the homeless issue. It was fixed (I don't know how) under Rudy and Mayor Mike. This is something that the average New Yorker sees every day - even if crime and higer taxes don't affect you personally.

is there an answer to this, i mean i grew up in the 90's as a kid but there are so many "theories" as how this happened.

There is more crime.
Taxes are higher.
His electoral base is unhappy.

I think the biggest thing working against him is the homeless issue. It was fixed (I don't know how) under Rudy and Mayor Mike. This is something that the average New Yorker sees every day - even if crime and higer taxes don't affect you personally.

They didn't fix anything, they just would not allow them where tourists and commuters could see them.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
They didn't fix anything, they just would not allow them where tourists and commuters could see them.

Which was fine in my book. I do want there to be a solution - but the fact that it's noticeable now makes me believe the rest of the issues facing the city are also going backwards.

I will say that I have grown an exponentially more negative view of Manhattan in my most recent visits. My company has a deal with two Manhattan hotels which both happen to be in or around Times Square. Getting around by foot, even just two or three blocks, makes me want to Cantona people every 8 seconds. Between all of the annoying paddlers, the overcrowded sidewalks, and the even more apparent abandonment of any traffic laws by drivers or pedestrians, I can say that Times Square has absolute crap. It used to be tolerable because it's still got a lot going for it, but it has been diminished.
We've held 3 of our last four retreat/sales pitches in DC or Boston, when they were all previously held in NYC. That's 10-12 hotel rooms for two nights per trip, simply because our clients and staff just get so frustrated in Times Square that it works against us instead of for us like it once did. Judging by what seems to be noticeable lower hotel rates, i'd imagine this is a growing trend (although Airbnb may be the main driver of this).

To sum it up, Times Square has become much less enjoyable for me as a tourist and business traveler since this mayor has taken office.

Sorry to continue this political derail (I hate when politics gets involved in a soccer related discussion, but because the mayor is such a major piece of the stadium puzzle, I guess it's mostly relevant here)
End of rambling rant/

I will say that I have grown an exponentially more negative view of Manhattan in my most recent visits. My company has a deal with two Manhattan hotels which both happen to be in or around Times Square. Getting around by foot, even just two or three blocks, makes me want to Cantona people every 8 seconds. Between all of the annoying paddlers, the overcrowded sidewalks, and the even more apparent abandonment of any traffic laws by drivers or pedestrians, I can say that Times Square has absolute crap. It used to be tolerable because it's still got a lot going for it, but it has been diminished.
We've held 3 of our last four retreat/sales pitches in DC or Boston, when they were all previously held in NYC. That's 10-12 hotel rooms for two nights per trip, simply because our clients and staff just get so frustrated in Times Square that it works against us instead of for us like it once did. Judging by what seems to be noticeable lower hotel rates, i'd imagine this is a growing trend (although Airbnb may be the main driver of this).

To sum it up, Times Square has become much less enjoyable for me as a tourist and business traveler since this mayor has taken office.

Sorry to continue this political derail (I hate when politics gets involved in a soccer related discussion, but because the mayor is such a major piece of the stadium puzzle, I guess it's mostly relevant here)
End of rambling rant/

As BxLio91 BxLio91 pointed out, nobody goes to Time Square anymore, it's too crowded.

This:
As BxLio91 BxLio91 pointed out, nobody goes to Time Square anymore, it's too crowded.
And of course this:
Times Square. Getting around by foot, even just two or three blocks, makes me want to Cantona people every 8 seconds.
According to at least some lists, Times Square is the most visited tourist site on the planet. If you expect to walk or drive through that mess without hating humanity, you've got some crazy expectations. You might as well expect RBNJ fans to stay for the final whistle.

Some stuff just ain't possible.

This:

And of course this:

According to at least some lists, Times Square is the most visited tourist site on the planet. If you expect to walk or drive through that mess without hating humanity, you've got some crazy expectations. You might as well expect RBNJ fans to stay for the final whistle.

As I stated, it was not this bad 3-5 years ago from my experiences.

Reactions: Kjbert
This:

And of course this:

Is there someway I can like this more than once? That was an awesome jab there at the end.

Given the last few pages this post will be off topic:

$183,500.00 - The amount CFG have spent on lobbying the Mayor & City Council so far in 2015.

0 - What they have to show for it.

$183,500.00 - The amount CFG have spent on lobbying the Mayor & City Council so far in 2015.

Really not a lot of money

That's basically the cost of emailing various leaders letting them know your still here and still working on it. When we see a larger figure, then we know that something big is happening behind the scenes.

Reactions: Kjbert