Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My first choice is building a stadium in the Sunnyside Yards in Queens, but I would also be happy with a stadium in the Bronx.

As an alum of Fordham, I know that many alums would love to see a football stadium built with a capacity of 20,000+. Let's partner with them and re-visit building a stadium where the parking lot is. I would hope partnering with a non-profit institution will help us with the tax issues the DeBlasio admin had. Make an exterior similar to Allianz in Munich, where it is blue for NYCFC games and changes to maroon for Fordham games.

My first choice is building a stadium in the Sunnyside Yards in Queens, but I would also be happy with a stadium in the Bronx.

As an alum of Fordham, I know that many alums would love to see a football stadium built with a capacity of 20,000+. Let's partner with them and re-visit building a stadium where the parking lot is. I would hope partnering with a non-profit institution will help us with the tax issues the DeBlasio admin had. Make an exterior similar to Allianz in Munich, where it is blue for NYCFC games and changes to maroon for Fordham games.
How much acreage is Coffey Field on?

How far is the campus from Arthur Avenue?

You could kind of compare Arthur Avenue to the Ironbound in Newark as it relates to RBNY games.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
How far is the campus from Arthur Avenue?

You could kind of compare Arthur Avenue to the Ironbound in Newark as it relates to RBNJ games.
Google maps says it's about a 1 mile 20-minute walk from the stadium to the midpoint of the Arthur Avenue "district." Could be shorter if it is possible to cut through the campus. The map showed a path that walked around the campus to circle back towards the stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
Arthur Avenue isn't exactly a great area. Arthur Avenue itself is fine, but I don't know what you walk through to get there from Fordham.

As mentioned by more than one guy on this thread, just because there's no news being reported or leaked out, doesn't mean the organization isn't on top of things. From a Don Garber interview in Sports Illustrated:
On the stadium front, stadium projects are difficult. We know that because we’ve just completed our 15th. We’ll soon have 20. Every single one of them is hard. It took us 10 years to get Avaya Stadium done. So it doesn’t frustrate me that we don’t have an immediate plan for NYCFC. What I’m encouraged by is how much time they’re spending working on it. They are fully committed to it. They wouldn’t have had a team if they didn’t have that commitment. And we’ll continue to work hard with them and the city of New York and landowners to find the right site. I’ll tell you that the Man City folks are very passionate and committed MLS owners. I speak to them all the time. Ferran Soriano is a very influential member of our board in a very short period of time. They’re terrific.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...beckham-cup-lafc-qatar-usmnt-klinsmann-gulati

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
Google maps says it's about a 1 mile 20-minute walk from the stadium to the midpoint of the Arthur Avenue "district." Could be shorter if it is possible to cut through the campus. The map showed a path that walked around the campus to circle back towards the stadium.
Arthur Avenue isn't exactly a great area. Arthur Avenue itself is fine, but I don't know what you walk through to get there from Fordham.
I used to live 2 blocks off of Arthur Ave. Here are some considerations:
  • Almost certainly Fordham will NOT allow thousands of fans to cross campus.
  • The area around Fordham turns sketchy very quickly within 1-2 blocks outside of Arthur Ave, Fordham Rd and Fordham campus. (Caveat: My in depth knowledge is 20 years old, but my more recent cursory knowledge suggests no change.)
  • There is an easily walkable metro north station and easily policable.
  • The walk to the B/D and 4 are significantly harder to police and filled with smaller side streets that pose risks.
  • There is no train directly outside the stadium as there is at YS. (Though that may not be a deal breaker. It is certainly something we are spoiled with at YS.)
My overall impression is I don't see this happening from a brand perspective. That is an area with a lot of hazards. It is where I learned to always be aware of where anyone was on the street within at least a block of me. Hearing gun shots at night was a common occurrence. Both of my roommates were held up within the general area we are discussing, one at knife point, one at gunpoint.

I hate to spread paranoia or fear. That's not my MO. But I do think this is a tough spot.

Sounds like 1996 all over again. Football pitch with American Football hash marks.

Sounds like 1996 all over again. Football pitch with American Football hash marks.
The Sounders which play in an NFL stadium have only had the football lines on the field three times in seven years. A college team would have more scheduling leeway than the NFL as well. Not a deal breaker for me.

The lack of subway access would be tough. Out of towners can take the Metro North but Fordham would not be a nice commute for subway riders.

Fordham drew about 7000 fans per game (much less last year). Why would they help to build a 30,000 seat stadium?

The Sounders which play in an NFL stadium have only had the football lines on the field three times in seven years. A college team would have more scheduling leeway than the NFL as well. Not a deal breaker for me.
I'm not sure where your info comes from but Sounders had football lines or very poorly removed football lines for almost half of their home games this year let alone their MLS existence. It sucks, it destroys the players and the atmosphere. But Sounders draw more than anyone else, so I guess it's doable.

But let's not do it okay?

The lack of subway access would be tough. Out of towners can take the Metro North but Fordham would not be a nice commute for subway riders.
All depends on your standards I guess. I'd like us to have a stadium, exclusively, as good if not better then RB Arena. "only 3 games with hash marks" does not meet that standard.

I'm not sure where your info comes from but Sounders had football lines or very poorly removed football lines for almost half of their home games this year let alone their MLS existence. It sucks, it destroys the players and the atmosphere. But Sounders draw more than anyone else, so I guess it's doable.

But let's not do it okay?
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/10/2/9441271/there-are-going-to-be-nfl-lines-for-sundays-game

NFL was only in season for 6 out of 22 home games. But I agree its not ideal.

Last edited:
meanwhile sacramento release some stadium renderings and they arent even in MLS ..............

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/sacramento-republic-reveal-new-stadium-renderings

sac-republic-stadium-2.jpeg

sac-republic-stadium-4.jpeg

Aren't some Chinese builders/investors doing the Hudson Yard project? Can we persuade them to do a stadium along with mega shopping/entertainment arena? can they use imported lower-cost Chinese labor to do the construction so it will only cost 1/2 of the typical US costs?