Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't see it happening. It's too close to the UN. Can you imagine the nightmare if a game falls on a weeknight during the General Assembly or worse - when the Pres is in town? No thank you. Also, that walk from Grand Central sucks. lol.
That is a really nice photo though!

I don't see it happening. It's too close to the UN. Can you imagine the nightmare if a game falls on a weeknight during the General Assembly or worse - when the Pres is in town? No thank you. Also, that walk from Grand Central sucks. lol.
That is a really nice photo though!
I would love it, but it's a huge security concern. We could have made a 42nd street march before the game pretty awesome. Not to mention the headache with the Tudor City folks having their view nearly destroyed.

Reactions: ldent42
Their view of what? Queens. Lol. I hear you on the Security concern tho. There's gonna be better locations elsewhere. I can't imagine what the cost of that real estate would be too.

I would love it, but it's a huge security concern. We could have made a 42nd street march before the game pretty awesome. Not to mention the headache with the Tudor City folks having their view nearly destroyed.
I think the site won't happen for a number of reasons, but as far as the Tudor City folks are concerned, a soccer stadium is probably one of the better options. Not so high compared to potential office or residential development. And noise and crowds for 2-3 dozens days a year, but otherwise not much to complain about.

Reactions: Ulrich
Sorry, haven't been on in a while. To clear up some confusion with my post about Fordham/NYCFC...
1) Wouldn't want NYCFC to build on the Fordham campus. I would think that linking up with Fordham would possibly make it easier to make a deal with NYC/De Blasio administration on building on 153rd St parking lot.
2) Someone questioned why Fordham would want to build a 20,000+ seat arena if football only draws 7,000 people. Jack Coffey's capacity is only 7K. Many Fordham alums have wanted the university to increase capacity.

They drew 9000 for Bucknell and 8000 for Columbia and sub-5000 for Lehigh and Monmouth. A 20,000 seat stadium would be ridiculously large for Fordham and ridiculously small for NYCFC.

They drew 9000 for Bucknell and 8000 for Columbia and sub-5000 for Lehigh and Monmouth. A 20,000 seat stadium would be ridiculously large for Fordham and ridiculously small for NYCFC.

They want to make a push to DI-A (Bowls) rather than DI-AA. To get there they need a bigger stadium.

Also, I'd like to go back to the point that in this poll Manhattan is referred to as NYC. We all want the stadium in NYC, but not necessarily Manhattan. This is points 3749. How has it not been fixed by now?

I'm sure it's already been discussed here, but 187 pages of posts is too many to look through..... does anybody know what (residential?) is supposed to be built on the three blocks south of the United Nations and when it's supposed to take place? It's where the former massive ConEd building was located (so the Zoning should have some sort of attached variance unless it's since been rezoned). Those lots have been vacant for so long (years) that they've got a nice layer of green grass/weeds, so something isn't adding up with the development of it.

Green Grass growing (old photo)

All I have found is that it's 6.4 acres owned by developer Sheldon Solow.

Original development circa 2007
that seems dead now according to this:
http://ny.curbed.com/tags/first-avenue-mud-pit

It seems a bit small to build a stadium, but nothing is impossible when a little cash is thrown at the solution to expand over the FDR and into the water (pier).
I've brought it up before. I think (with the help of Google maps) that a stadium the size of RBA could fit there easily. Parking might be the bigger concern but being so close to public transport maybe not.

There were plans to develop it a few years back but they fell through because they involved park land adjacent to it.

It would be a great spot geographically but security would be the biggest concern in that location and I can see the residents of Tudor city putting up a huge fight.

Also, I'd like to go back to the point that in this poll Manhattan is referred to as NYC. We all want the stadium in NYC, but not necessarily Manhattan. This is points 3749. How has it not been fixed by now?
No can do bro, it's not my poll.

This past summer someone started a second stadium thread with the above poll and one of the mods merged it into this one. TBH, I hit the edit button to remove it entirely, but for whatever reason I can neither edit or delete it.

Simple solution...assuming the stadium would be multi-tiered...close the upper level tiers for Fordham games.

I live 2 blocks away from Tudor city and let me say this. That space is entirely too small for any kind of stadium we would like to inhabit.

Also the transportation to that location is kind of shitty. The nearest subway stop is grand central. Which means rather poor west side access, certainly inferior to our deal at Yankee Stadium.

Additionally, the UN might veto that spot on security concerns. The last thing that the general assembly wants is someone to have the cover of 30k drunk soccer fans if they try to pull shennanigans during a general assembly meeting.

Reactions: The Toe
Don't know if this was posted long ago, but it's from the announcement of the club. The interview is with a lawyer who represents the Yankees. It's an interesting 10 minutes if you have time. Talks about how there were some 20 public hearings about the new Yankee Stadium before it was even approved.

Don't know if this was posted long ago, but it's from the announcement of the club. The interview is with a lawyer who represents the Yankees. It's an interesting 10 minutes if you have time. Talks about how there were some 20 public hearings about the new Yankee Stadium before it was even approved.

I didn't watch the video yet, but my reaction to your post, is that means we should be getting updates from those hearings. The fact that we haven't heard about one yet is not good.

The Cosmos have meetings almost annually with the Long Island village they want to build in. I attended the MLS2Queens event with Garber in Flushing Meadows Park. That's what I expect for the NYCFC process too, and in my opinion, that hasn't started yet.

Reactions: Kjbert
The Cosmos have meetings almost annually with the Long Island village they want to build in. I attended the MLS2Queens event with Garber in Flushing Meadows Park. That's what I expect for the NYCFC process too, and in my opinion, that hasn't started yet.
You kind of just countered your opinion with logical reasoning for relative silence from the club until something more material occurs. The Cosmos and Queens Stadiums do not exist, and most likely never will.

Reactions: Gene
You kind of just countered your opinion with logical reasoning for relative silence from the club until something more material occurs. The Cosmos and Queens Stadiums do not exist, and most likely never will.

Additionally CFG, like the Yankees but to a more extreme degree, is famous for their information control. CFG does not let rumors out at all.

Additionally CFG, like the Yankees but to a more extreme degree, is famous for their information control. CFG does not let rumors out at all.
Yes but you cannot keep public hearings a secret. Public hearings are, by name and definition, public. Cosmos might be spinning their wheels, and the Queens stadium might be dead, but they are both further along than anything else the team has cooking now, with one possible caveat. The YS deal involved parkland, as did the potential Queens site. If we have something going on that (1) involves no parkland, and (2) little to no other public involvement (eg, no subsidy, no transportation infrastructure changes or investment), then we could be percolating along quietly. But those options are extremely limited.

Reactions: BlueCityRadio
Yes but you cannot keep public hearings a secret. Public hearings are, by name and definition, public.
I would think a key objective in the stadium search would be to get as far along in the process of developing a plan before holding any public hearing, or even letting the public (including you and I) to get even of sniff of what's going on. It does not matter what you build in NYC (or any congested city), once the plan gets out there will be a line of people hiring lawyers to organize protests and community organizations and lobbying of officials and judges, and smear campaigns by journalists with an agenda and delays and delays and delays and delays then it's dead.
Doing this through the public is just not a good idea. We don't need a public meeting to tell us that they are in discussions with a specific site. We can have a rally once a concrete agreement and plan is in place, at that point, if they were successful in keeping it quiet, then they can start holding public presentations in order to get out in front in the battle of public perception. It's going to be a serious battle, we should not wage war until we are well-armed.

I would think a key objective in the stadium search would be to get as far along in the process of developing a plan before holding any public hearing, or even letting the public (including you and I) to get even of sniff of what's going on. It does not matter what you build in NYC (or any congested city), once the plan gets out there will be a line of people hiring lawyers to organize protests and community organizations and lobbying of officials and judges, and smear campaigns by journalists with an agenda and delays and delays and delays and delays then it's dead.
Doing this through the public is just not a good idea. We don't need a public meeting to tell us that they are in discussions with a specific site. We can have a rally once a concrete agreement and plan is in place, at that point, if they were successful in keeping it quiet, then they can start holding public presentations in order to get out in front in the battle of public perception. It's going to be a serious battle, we should not wage war until we are well-armed.

Yep. Realistically they aren't going to hold any public hearings until they are starting to see the pieces of the puzzle falling into place. Evidently that is not the case right here.

Reactions: Kjbert