Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
The article says that the Yankees have increased their line of credit from $175 million to $300 million.

A few things.

1. They likely already use a good portion of the original $175 million to fund team expenses during the year.
2. This kind of a line of credit is typically used to smooth over differences between when cash is earned by a company and when cash has to be paid for expenses. In other words, at times during the year, after they receive a lot of cash, the borrowing amount probably drops at or near zero. At other times, after they've paid a lot in cash, they will borrow against the line.
3. Typically, a well run business will arrange for more borrowing capacity than they think they will need in order to cover any surprises - e.g. if the total borrowing amount is $175 million, it's likely the Yankees don't expect to need more than $100 million or so but will want to have the flexibility to borrow the additional $75 million just in case. Sometimes, however, businesses will run deficits and use the line as capital. In this case, they will typically need to increase the size of the revolver or replace some of it with other capital.
4. The Yankees can probably also use this line of credit to borrow quickly to fund a long term project (e.g. the land for a stadium).
5. The Yankees wouldn't ask for an increase like this just because they were going to sign a new player - an extra $25-30 million in expenses wouldn't require an increase of $125 million.

All this suggests they are either running deficits and increasing borrowing (unlikely), or they are going to make a big capital expense and want extra dry powder to have the flexibility to do so quickly. My guess is that the extra $125 million is their portion of the amount to buy land for a stadium, but not to construct a stadium itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich and Gene
The article says that the Yankees have increased their line of credit from $175 million to $300 million.

A few things.

1. They likely already use a good portion of the original $175 million to fund team expenses during the year.
2. This kind of a line of credit is typically used to smooth over differences between when cash is earned by a company and when cash has to be paid for expenses. In other words, at times during the year, after they receive a lot of cash, the borrowing amount probably drops at or near zero. At other times, after they've paid a lot in cash, they will borrow against the line.
3. Typically, a well run business will arrange for more borrowing capacity than they think they will need in order to cover any surprises - e.g. if the total borrowing amount is $175 million, it's likely the Yankees don't expect to need more than $100 million or so but will want to have the flexibility to borrow the additional $75 million just in case. Sometimes, however, businesses will run deficits and use the line as capital. In this case, they will typically need to increase the size of the revolver or replace some of it with other capital.
4. The Yankees can probably also use this line of credit to borrow quickly to fund a long term project (e.g. the land for a stadium).
5. The Yankees wouldn't ask for an increase like this just because they were going to sign a new player - an extra $25-30 million in expenses wouldn't require an increase of $125 million.

All this suggests they are either running deficits and increasing borrowing (unlikely), or they are going to make a big capital expense and want extra dry powder to have the flexibility to do so quickly. My guess is that the extra $125 million is their portion of the amount to buy land for a stadium, but not to construct a stadium itself.

thats half the battle

Reactions: Gotham Gator
First time in months there is news and there is a decent chance this is not even NYCFC related.

I hope I am wrong though!

Reactions: Kjbert
As best as I can tell not even the 20% stake is confirmed. A few weeks ago someone questioned the 20% "common knowledge" fact. I tried to track it down and best I could come up with was some reasonably trustworthy news sources, I think Bloomberg and/or AP was one of them, citing 20% from anonymous sourcing. I never saw anything about the 50% stadium stake but while I think you might very well have seen it I doubt very, very much it was official or confirmed.
Wikipedia cites a Businessweek article that leads to a Bloomberg article, which cites a different Businessweek article that leads to the Bloomberg homepage, plus an unlinked attribution to the AP.

“In addition, a source close to the Yankees said ticket sales for the team for the coming season are pacing ahead of last year, further suggesting there’s no need to borrow to meet payroll. This source said to expect news soon on a new stadium site for NYCFC.”

Jeezus, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm shot for the rest of the day...............

I wonder where

I wouldnt be surprised if its in college point queens. The NY Times is selling their facility PLUS there is addiotnal land up for grabs
I would absolutely love this! I could park my car at my parents house and walk to the games.

But that said, I don't think my parents could hold everyone else going to the game. And public transport is awful there. Hell driving is awful there.

I'd say this has zero chance, but man I would love it.

This would be great news if it turns out to be true. At least if they announce some concrete progress and not just that they're getting ready to buy something. With LAFC, ORL, and ATL having made the news recently with stadiums we should absolutely have something given we are an actual team in the league already.
I'd just like to know our progress from a location standpoint, its a bit early to be expecting progress from a concrete pouring standpoint. :D

Ok, I'll stop being an asshole for today and get back to work.

Wikipedia cites a Businessweek article that leads to a Bloomberg article, which cites a different Businessweek article that leads to the Bloomberg homepage, plus an unlinked attribution to the AP.
I think that's exactly what I found. I figure the Bloomberg link was good back when this was news and subsequently went stale. I looked around for other sources and found none.

knowing-is-half-the-battle-the-other-half-is-violence-gi-joe-shirt.gif

This could also just be the Yankees worrying about interest rates rising, expanding their LOC and locking in a fixed interest rate.

Reactions: 413Blue
This could also just be the Yankees worrying about interest rates rising, expanding their LOC and locking in a fixed interest rate.
Not sure LoC have fixed terms. Don't they just spread to a variable rate. If now they issued a bond then I think you could argue they were trying to lock in cheap money.

GAL can't cost that much, I'm feeling Pier 40 vibes! That would blow all our minds.

I can't see the city allowing that to happen. As an investment...it would be a ridiculous expense, but an open air stadium in Manhattan would be iconic. As much as I would love that...we have a better chance of signing Messi.

I can't see the city allowing that to happen. As an investment...it would be a ridiculous expense, but an open air stadium in Manhattan would be iconic. As much as I would love that...we have a better chance of signing Messi.
I hear Aguero keeps telling Messi how nice playing for MCFC is, if they do manage to get messi, fast forward 8 years and he could be playing for nycfc.