Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
By all accounts and posts that I have read, this seems to be a great spot. Am I wrong or missing anything?

We'd have to deal with the stench of Newtown Creek during the game?

(Cue some expert to tell me "I've been there and the creek only stinks further inland" or something like that.)

Reactions: Kjbert
How painful would it be if the New York Islanders were to soon announce their impending move from Barclays to Fresh Direct?

i thought they wanted to go back to LI or border LI/queens....if they didnt go to brooklyn they aint going to this new location.

Anyone know what the pedestrian access is like from the nearby subway stops (Hunter Point 7, 21st St G)? Mainly wondering about getting over/under the LIE.

Did someone mention a Q/N nearby
?

the Q/N is a quite a bit of a walk, based on the Map

Reactions: JayH
Anyone know what the pedestrian access is like from the nearby subway stops (Hunter Point 7, 21st St G)? Mainly wondering about getting over/under the LIE.

Did someone mention a Q/N nearby?
i did, its not, I plan on taking th Q/N to the 7. although its not entirely un-walkable, you just need to make sure you walk on one of the blocks that gets you over the train yards. So if you dont have gps on your phone (or your phone dies) the stadium can feel like a mirage in the desert, you can see it but dont know how to get to it. (same goes for driving in the area).

Reactions: joe

Did someone mention a Q/N nearby?
The Q/N ain't really close. 20-25 minute walk. Hunters Point 7 stop is very close. 4-5 minutes close. You go under the LIE which is elevated but over train tracks via a pedestrian bridge which could get very crowded after a game. Which is why I think people would walk the extra 5 minutes from/to the Vernon Boulevard stop: it's one stop to/from Manhattan, it's closer to a neighborhood with places to eat and drink, and avoids that pedestrian bridge.

The Q/N ain't really close. 20-25 minute walk. Hunters Point 7 stop is very close. 4-5 minutes close. You go under the LIE which is elevated but over train tracks via a pedestrian bridge which could get very crowded after a game. Which is why I think people would walk the extra 5 minutes from/to the Vernon Boulevard stop: it's one stop to/from Manhattan, it's closer to a neighborhood with places to eat and drink, and avoids that pedestrian bridge.

A buddy of mine - STH last season - used to live right there on Vernon. It's close.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Maybe they can build a special ferry landing right next to the stadium? The LIC ferry landing wouldn't be a bad walk either. Doesn't matter to me since I'll be taking the N/Q to the 7 from Astoria.

So from the Hunter's Point subway station, you would walk south one block on 21st St until you get to this underpass, then follow the sidewalk underneath to a footbridge on the other side:

LnZxMb1.jpg

Once across the footbridge, you would walk another block south to Borden Ave, then one block east to the stadium site. Here's an image looking north from Borden Ave along 21st St which gives a clear view of that footbridge:

ick16oz.jpg

I don't think existing infrastructure of the Hunter's Point subway station nor the footbridge between the station and the stadium will be sufficient to handle thousands of people for an event. Both will need upgrades.

The good news is the Vernon-Jackson station is almost equally as close, and has a much cleaner walking path to the stadium. The bad news is that station isn't the largest either - it's the nearest station to my apartment that I take everyday.

I think the Vernon-Jackson station is capable of being a secondary station serving those who wish to visit the bars/restaurants in the area before the game, but the Hunters Point station and the pathway from it to the stadium site will need quite a bit of work.

So from the Hunter's Point subway station, you would walk south one block on 21st St until you get to this underpass, then follow the sidewalk underneath to a footbridge on the other side:

LnZxMb1.jpg

Once across the footbridge, you would walk another block south to Borden Ave, then one block east to the stadium site. Here's an image looking north from Borden Ave along 21st St which gives a clear view of that footbridge:

ick16oz.jpg

I don't think existing infrastructure of the Hunter's Point subway station nor the footbridge between the station and the stadium will be sufficient to handle thousands of people for an event. Both will need upgrades.

The good news is the Vernon-Jackson station is almost equally as close, and has a much cleaner walking path to the stadium. The bad news is that station isn't the largest either - it's the nearest station to my apartment that I take everyday.

I think the Vernon-Jackson station is capable of being a secondary station serving those who wish to visit the bars/restaurants in the area before the game, but the Hunters Point station and the pathway from it to the stadium site will need quite a bit of work.

Can you imagine flares and smoke coming out those grates in the overpass? Now that would make the most epic march to the stadium I think any team could possible have.

LnZxMb1.jpg

ick16oz.jpg

100% solid.

Ha Ha. Some dude pointed to this parcel for the stadium a long time ago.

Has there been any thought about L.I.C. along Newtown Creek near the Pulaski bridge, say along Borden?

1) great little neighborhood is within walking distance...Vernon/Jackson, with good bars and restaurants.

2) the area south of LIE is separated from the neighborhood by the highway, providing some protection for local residents. Plus, south of LIE is an industrial area a la Willets Point, which makes it more politically palatable, and probably easier to negotiate property acquisition.

3) Existing highway infrastructure: Easily accessible off the L.I.E. with a little exchange work to get an on/off ramp onto Borden Ave around 21st St. Central from all directions...from Bx & points north via RFK or Whitestone to GCP to BQE; from Brooklyn/SI via BQE; from Manhattan right out of the midtown tunnel or 59th St bridge; from East Queens/LI you can take the 495.

4) Great mass transit accessibility as-is. Metro North to GCS and your 1 or 2 stops on the 7 train. Bronx or Manhattan, east side or west side lines take you to the 7, and again, you're right there. Brooklyn G train gets you walking distance. LIRR goes right to Hunterspoint or LIC terminal.

No other location save Manhattan is as mass transit friendly for people coming from all directions. It is way better for mass transit purposes than the Bronx, which is a full trip into city center and then back out of city center, for anyone coming from queens/bklyn/LI (which is about half the population). Bronx works great for mass transit if you're in the Bronx, Manhattan, or Westchester, but not otherwise.

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/page-62#post-50343

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/page-64#post-50715

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/page-66#post-51300

Last edited:
Relevant:
upload_2016-3-9_16-22-37.png

This lot, even with the adjacent X sq ft, would be too small for a stadium. Let's be real guys. Come on.

The one piece of this I'm not getting is, how is Atlas connected with NYCFC? Atlas buys tons of properties and builds all sorts of things. Where is the CFG/Yankees connection?

Actually, the below is - I think - your first post on the subject, and it's a beauty. Lays out all the arguments, and this is without any outside tips. Good stuff. Wonder if the Club has been reading the thread!

Has there been any thought about L.I.C. along Newtown Creek near the Pulaski bridge, say along Borden?

1) great little neighborhood is within walking distance...Vernon/Jackson, with good bars and restaurants.

2) the area south of LIE is separated from the neighborhood by the highway, providing some protection for local residents. Plus, south of LIE is an industrial area a la Willets Point, which makes it more politically palatable, and probably easier to negotiate property acquisition.

3) Existing highway infrastructure: Easily accessible off the L.I.E. with a little exchange work to get an on/off ramp onto Borden Ave around 21st St. Central from all directions...from Bx & points north via RFK or Whitestone to GCP to BQE; from Brooklyn/SI via BQE; from Manhattan right out of the midtown tunnel or 59th St bridge; from East Queens/LI you can take the 495.

4) Great mass transit accessibility as-is. Metro North to GCS and your 1 or 2 stops on the 7 train. Bronx or Manhattan, east side or west side lines take you to the 7, and again, you're right there. Brooklyn G train gets you walking distance. LIRR goes right to Hunterspoint or LIC terminal.

No other location save Manhattan is as mass transit friendly for people coming from all directions. It is way better for mass transit purposes than the Bronx, which is a full trip into city center and then back out of city center, for anyone coming from queens/bklyn/LI (which is about half the population). Bronx works great for mass transit if you're in the Bronx, Manhattan, or Westchester, but not otherwise.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
From Atlas Capital Group website... "More specifically, we specialize in repurposing and repositioning existing properties". Repurposing 'industrial property' to 'stadium, arenas, armories, field houses property' sounds like their specialty.

In addition, if I was a real estate developer, from a business perspective, I would love to own the property and lease the ground to a major New York sports team. Solid credit tenant and most likely not going anywhere for many years. And if they do, easily repurpose again.

I'm sure NY state wouldn't mind selling some unused railroad property or let us lease and we build over.

Looks viable for NYCFC & Atlas . I'm all in.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Relevant:
View attachment 4340

This lot, even with the adjacent X sq ft, would be too small for a stadium. Let's be real guys. Come on.

Using the rough measurements on Google Maps, the site is basically 640 ft x 270 ft - a little longer on one of the short ends since it's not a perfect rectangle.

By comparison, Red Bull Arena is 665 ft x 525 ft.