• Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
"Welcome to Kingsbridge" has a nice ring to it

God I'd love that location. (Long and uphill) march to the stadium from my apt/remaining local irish bars, eat some tasty Vietnamese on the way.

Aside from NYCFCfan NYCFCfan 's point about the facade, the accessibility from Metro North is poor and parking would be difficult unless they were able to work out a deal to build multi-level parking at the VA hospital nearby.

Maybe they could do something crazy like the Hearst building and have stands emerge from the facade?

I think the space is too tight, no possibility for any parking and, despite not being all that far away from Yankee Stadium, only mass transit is the 4 local, which could possibly work if there were parking, but without parking the station would get overwhelmed.
The 4 station at Yankee Stadium is already far overwhelmed for the first few trains after matches. Surprised nobody's gotten pushed onto the tracks yet as the platform is far too narrow to hold that many people on it. The weird thing is that at the rear of the train there always plenty of room and you can even get a seat almost every time. It's just that it's so crowded in the middle that it's hard to get back there.

Compare that to the Willets Point station which has a super-wide platform.

Reactions: Kjbert and Fantazma
The 4 station at Yankee Stadium is already far overwhelmed for the first few trains after matches. Surprised nobody's gotten pushed onto the tracks yet as the platform is far too narrow to hold that many people on it. The weird thing is that at the rear of the train there always plenty of room and you can even get a seat almost every time. It's just that it's so crowded in the middle that it's hard to get back there.

this 100% of the time

Reactions: Kjbert

Same thing is true of the D train, but at the front. Let's just keep that btw ourselves tho. :)

Reactions: Kjbert

Willets Point was expanded twice -- once for each of the the World's Fairs in 1939 and 1964.

161st Street station was built a few years before Yankee Stadium was opened and is relatively the same today as it was when opened (although they added more stairs at the ends of the platform after the Stadium was built).

Does Miami play its first game in their soccer specific stadium in Overtown before NYC does in theirs?

Willets Point was expanded twice -- once for each of the the World's Fairs in 1939 and 1964.

161st Street station was built a few years before Yankee Stadium was opened and is relatively the same today as it was when opened (although they added more stairs at the ends of the platform after the Stadium was built).
Definitely a lack of foresight not to make them about 5' deeper. As already mentioned, I'm amazed nobody has been accidentally pushed on to the tracks due to crowding - I'm nervous as hell if waiting by the edge with it packed and a train approaching.

Does Miami play its first game in their soccer specific stadium in Overtown before NYC does in theirs?
Has Beckham formally exercised his option yet? I can't remember if he did so, or it was a handshake that he would once the stadium site was obtained???

I think the space is too tight, no possibility for any parking and, despite not being all that far away from Yankee Stadium, only mass transit is the 4 local, which could possibly work if there were parking, but without parking the station would get overwhelmed.

There are plenty of problems with this location but I don't think subway access is one of them. The 4 is the closest but the D is only a very short walk away as well.

There are plenty of problems with this location but I don't think subway access is one of them. The 4 is the closest but the D is only a very short walk away as well.
It's not about the number of stations, it's the number of lines and the capacity of the stations. Those are two small, low capacity, local train, lots of stops from Manhattan stations that would not be able to handle 25,000+ for a game. And they will need to handle that many as there is no reasonable parking.

All of the other large capacity venues are at transportation hubs with big stations, multiple lines or both.

Reactions: Ulrich
It's not about the number of stations, it's the number of lines and the capacity of the stations. Those are two small, low capacity, local train, lots of stops from Manhattan stations that would not be able to handle 25,000+ for a game. And they will need to handle that many as there is no reasonable parking.

All of the other large capacity venues are at transportation hubs with big stations, multiple lines or both.

This is undoubtedly true. Anyone ever try to leave Red Bull Arena right after a match from the Harrison PATH station? It's a total nightmare.

Leave at the whistle, arrive early, etc. There are ways to not have to deal with it, even with staying to the whistle.