Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not stadium related, but rumor has it that a new training facility will be built in Tappan.

#mobilepost
You could lose posting privileges talking about non-stadium news in the stadium thread.... Wait... No... It's that you can be banned for actually posting stadium news in the stadium thread.... Carry on

Glad they squared this away, but isn't this a little underwhelming? This site is nearly an hour away from midtown by car. Seems kind of far considering they are only building one full size field (plus another half size) and offices.

Where does the academy train? I thought we were looking to build a much larger complex, which would understandably be further from the city to find enough land.

Glad they squared this away, but isn't this a little underwhelming? This site is nearly an hour away from midtown by car. Seems kind of far considering they are only building one full size field (plus another half size) and offices.

Where does the academy train? I thought we were looking to build a much larger complex, which would understandably be further from the city to find enough land.
17 acres is plenty to build a few fields and a small youth development stadium, along with an indoor training center.

Think 13 football fields put together.

It's supposed to be training and development. Don't think we'll be seeing a stadium going up there.
I think we should of known all along that those will not be in the city. Too valuable a space to use on training grounds.

17 acres is plenty to build a few fields and a small youth development stadium, along with an indoor training center.

Think 13 football fields put together.

On paper, 13 football fields' worth of room sounds like plenty enough room for "a few fields" but when you consider how they have to be spaced, it's not half as much room as you might think. Unless you want a whole load of fields packed together like tennis courts - which is not how most professional clubs like their training facilities to look - you're going to struggle to fit more than two pitches in in any direction - and if you go for a full 2x2 pitch arrangement you're going to have to have a very awkwardly-shaped office facility to fit a building in too.

I'd bank that the most they could fit on a training ground is two or three. To give some comparison, Barcelona's training ground is 33 acres and has five pitches, Juventus' is just a little bigger and has nine, Everton have 10 pitches on 55 acres, while Celtic only have three on 46 acres.

Reactions: Kjbert
On paper, 13 football fields' worth of room sounds like plenty enough room for "a few fields" but when you consider how they have to be spaced, it's not half as much room as you might think. Unless you want a whole load of fields packed together like tennis courts - which is not how most professional clubs like their training facilities to look - you're going to struggle to fit more than two pitches in in any direction - and if you go for a full 2x2 pitch arrangement you're going to have to have a very awkwardly-shaped office facility to fit a building in too.

I'd bank that the most they could fit on a training ground is two or three. To give some comparison, Barcelona's training ground is 33 acres and has five pitches, Juventus' is just a little bigger and has nine, Everton have 10 pitches on 55 acres, while Celtic only have three on 46 acres.

To give more comparison, the Red Bull's training facility is in Hannover, NJ (an hour+ drive from midtown), and has four fields covering between 15 and 23 acres (there are two conflicting sources on Wikipedia).

Here is Red Bull's taken before the fourth field was constructed: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x89c3a86336ea6ddf:0xe3601dc226eba931

upload_2016-3-29_20-0-42.png

this is 27 acres maybe NYCFC can build something like this.

Last edited:
View attachment 4584

this is 24 acres maybe NYCFC can build something like this.

Wow. That's the Jets' training ground? I thought they'd have something far better than that.

Fair enough though. I doubt that we're going to build a stadium at this place - it's just a training facility and far too small for NYCFC B to also play at IMO. But sub in the office block for that and it could work.

Wow. That's the Jets' training ground? I thought they'd have something far better than that.

Fair enough though. I doubt that we're going to build a stadium at this place - it's just a training facility and far too small for NYCFC B to also play at IMO. But sub in the office block for that and it could work.
It's a place inside there.