Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You know... here's another idea that hasn't been mentioned but has a basis in reality, not to say Etihad Island is crazy or anything.

Governor Cuomo has previously stated his intention to tear down the failing Jacob Javits center and redevelop that area. He wants to build a convention center near the Aqueduct Race track instead. Though that idea itself seems to have lost steam.

The site is large enough to hold not just a soccer stadium, but also the required parking lots. I don't think that many lots are required just because of all the parking lots in the area already servicing MSG and Penn Station.

Here's where it can get even crazier, it's no secret the city and state want to renovate Penn Station and have said they might kick MSG out in 2023, the whole thing would cost billions but you'd assume, the city, state and feds would all have to chip in.

How nuts would it be to build not just a soccer stadium, but a new MSG there as well? I checked and both RBA and the current MSG would fit on the land with enough room for a decent sized parking structure or building for retail and offices.

Ok maybe that's a little nuts, but can't be too far fetched... right?

It's too good of an idea to work.

Reactions: Kjbert
You know... here's another idea that hasn't been mentioned but has a basis in reality, not to say Etihad Island is crazy or anything.

Governor Cuomo has previously stated his intention to tear down the failing Jacob Javits center and redevelop that area. He wants to build a convention center near the Aqueduct Race track instead. Though that idea itself seems to have lost steam.

The site is large enough to hold not just a soccer stadium, but also the required parking lots. I don't think that many lots are required just because of all the parking lots in the area already servicing MSG and Penn Station.

Here's where it can get even crazier, it's no secret the city and state want to renovate Penn Station and have said they might kick MSG out in 2023, the whole thing would cost billions but you'd assume, the city, state and feds would all have to chip in.

How nuts would it be to build not just a soccer stadium, but a new MSG there as well? I checked and both RBA and the current MSG would fit on the land with enough room for a decent sized parking structure or building for retail and offices.

Ok maybe that's a little nuts, but can't be too far fetched... right?

Madison Square Garden presented by Chase & Etihad Stadium presented by Etihad. Or just name the entire thing Etihad Garden presented by Chase. Our stadium/field would be known as the Garden. Which would be the first sporting Garden to actually contain grass.

What are other options other than YS as a temporary venue
They are horrifying. Shudder inducing. No fuck that. Shudders don't do it. Nausea. Shakes. Full on DTs.

We're talking NJ.

RBA. Meadowlands.

I might have to sell off my STs for those temporary years. (That is, if I could find anyone who wanted secondhand tickets to a NY sports event in NJ.)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
They are horrifying. Shudder inducing. No fuck that. Shudders don't do it. Nausea. Shakes. Full on DTs.

We're talking NJ.

RBA. Meadowlands.

I might have to sell off my STs for those temporary years. (That is, if I could find anyone who wanted secondhand tickets to a NY sports event in NJ.)

Citi field's dimensions allow us a regulation size pitch. But why swap one baseball stadium for another?

Uh, because "Citi field's dimensions allow us a regulation size pitch"?

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if it would fit. I shall find out shortly.
Executive summary: Nope.

Just barely managing to squeeze in our already small field:
citifieldsize.png

Field in similar orientation as Yankee Stadium for comparison:
citifieldsize2.png

Executive summary: Nope.

Just barely managing to squeeze in our already small field:
citifieldsize.png

Field in similar orientation as Yankee Stadium for comparison:
citifieldsize2.png

Nice work. Not sure why I thought Citi was larger. I wonder how short the field had to be when it was set up like this.

citi-blog480.jpg

Disturbingly, this leaves the door open for a temporary stint in a stadium outside of the 5 boroughs...
I was thinking about this last week but never got around to making a coherent post. Basically, how good of a long term solution would justify how bad of a short term home? Would five years in Westchester alienate more people than a pie in the sky Manhattan stadium at the end of it?

I was thinking about this last week but never got around to making a coherent post. Basically, how good of a long term solution would justify how bad of a short term home? Would five years in Westchester alienate more people than a pie in the sky Manhattan stadium at the end of it?
I'm pretty sure we've had that discussion before.
Shocking, I know. I don't think there was any consensus. Personally I could accept an otherwise intolerable temporary site if a permanent site and timetable were announced.

I'm pretty sure we've had that discussion before.
Shocking, I know. I don't think there was any consensus. Personally I could accept an otherwise intolerable temporary site if a permanent site and timetable were announced.
I don't think any other temp site ticks the boxes as well as Yankee Stadium:

capacity
mass transit accessibility
parking
bars nearby etc
in the 5 boroughs