Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Seems like there's more momentum to expand the current Javitz Center rather than move it: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/n...billion-expansion-for-javits-center.html?_r=0

That said, it's probably the most plausible Manhattan solution proposed so far. Calgary had something similar proposed: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/calgarynext-arena-and-stadium.jpg

And Russia is building one in Moscow for the 2018 World Cup called VTB Arena, apparently:

dynamo_stadium_rusia_worlds_cup.jpg

EDIT: These are the final renderings that's actually getting built, with a capacity of about 27k in the soccer side and 15k in the arena, which is just about perfect for us:

10949.jpg

hapFemG.jpg

Imagine...... Etihad Field at Madison Square Garden, home of the Knicks, Rangers, and NYCFC (aka Hudson Yards Kickers). 34th and 11th. One block from the 7 train terminus, three avenues from Penn Station. The High Line Brigade starts their march to the match one hour before each game...

Now that would be pretty cool. Even if we have to share with the Knicks and Rags. I wonder what it would be like with 2 games going on at once. Would the crowds be able to hear each other?

Now that would be pretty cool. Even if we have to share with the Knicks and Rags. I wonder what it would be like with 2 games going on at once. Would the crowds be able to hear each other?

I doubt they would ever schedule two games at the same time in the venue, or at least avoid it as much as possible. In fact, soccer's offseason is opposite hockey and basketball, which is another good reason for a partnership between the three organizations. The weight of all three behind a project like this is pretty much the only way New York approves a new midtown stadium.

I would imagine the Knicks and Rangers are going to fight tooth and nail to maintain the existing MSG though, which means we are 5+ years before those two would even come to the table with us.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I doubt they would ever schedule two games at the same time in the venue, or at least avoid it as much as possible. In fact, soccer's offseason is opposite hockey and basketball, which is another good reason for a partnership between the three organizations. The weight of all three behind a project like this is pretty much the only way New York approves a new midtown stadium.

I would imagine the Knicks and Rangers are going to fight tooth and nail to maintain the existing MSG though, which means we are 5+ years before those two would even come to the table with us.
Unless the city makes it clear beforehand that there's no way they'd let them stay at MSG. I can't imagine De Blasio turns down a chance to renovate Penn and add affordable housing there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Unless the city makes it clear beforehand that there's no way they'd let them stay at MSG. I can't imagine De Blasio turns down a chance to renovate Penn and add affordable housing there.
That's if BdB is still calling the shots with his 5+ pending investigations....

I believe the requirement is 80k stadium to host the finals, 6ok for semifinals, and 40k for regular games. I looked it up on wikipedia and the US currently has 25 80k+ stadiums (including MetLife), 80 60k+ stadiums, and well over 100 40k stadiums.

BMO field in Toronto is at 30k capacity and looking pretty sweet after renovations. They also have their north end that doesn't really have many seats that they can build up to 40k+.

Canada's bid is one thing but if the WC is in the U.S., you have to believe that all the games are going to be at high capacity NFL stadiums. I think the great thing about the U.S. bid is that we don't have to build anything to host.
But remember, all WC fields must be natural turf. And I'm sure that the abomination of a temporary turf field similar to what we have seen in Houston recently for the USMT is not an option....... Still, you have a valid point. Plenty of high capacity stadiums that would qualify.

I believe the requirement is 80k stadium to host the finals, 6ok for semifinals, and 40k for regular games. I looked it up on wikipedia and the US currently has 25 80k+ stadiums (including MetLife), 80 60k+ stadiums, and well over 100 40k stadiums.

BMO field in Toronto is at 30k capacity and looking pretty sweet after renovations. They also have their north end that doesn't really have many seats that they can build up to 40k+.

Canada's bid is one thing but if the WC is in the U.S., you have to believe that all the games are going to be at high capacity NFL stadiums. I think the great thing about the U.S. bid is that we don't have to build anything to host.

And I bet the real numbers might be even higher. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 25 college stadiums that are 80K or more.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Many do not, but there is no blanket ban and the trend is towards selling alcohol.
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/
Interesting. I always thought the loophole was when a college team shared a stadium with a pro team - like the University of Miami. But it looks like its just a factor of not wanting to accidentally sell to underage and the ramifications of being nailed by it. If U-Texas does it, then it's only a matter of time before every SEC team joins the fray and then the dominoes tumble.

FWIW -- I received the following information from an impeccable source today:

1) The club is not anywhere near a stadium deal
2) They are desperate to leave Yankee Stadium
3) The stadium will be in the five boroughs, but definitely not Staten Island and increasingly unlikely to be the Bronx.

Enjoy!

3) The stadium will be in the five boroughs, but definitely not Staten Island and increasingly unlikely to be the Bronx.

Enjoy!
Disturbingly, this leaves the door open for a temporary stint in a stadium outside of the 5 boroughs...

They will never build affordable housing right in the heart of midtown. That would a crime against good sense!

Reactions: adam

Enjoy!
This is partially consistent with The Toe and in no parts inconsistent.

Can we just get a stadium built... Honestly. Sheik buy the mayor and any community leader you must to secure the land for a stadium.