Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You know... here's another idea that hasn't been mentioned but has a basis in reality, not to say Etihad Island is crazy or anything.

Governor Cuomo has previously stated his intention to tear down the failing Jacob Javits center and redevelop that area. He wants to build a convention center near the Aqueduct Race track instead. Though that idea itself seems to have lost steam.

The site is large enough to hold not just a soccer stadium, but also the required parking lots. I don't think that many lots are required just because of all the parking lots in the area already servicing MSG and Penn Station.

Here's where it can get even crazier, it's no secret the city and state want to renovate Penn Station and have said they might kick MSG out in 2023, the whole thing would cost billions but you'd assume, the city, state and feds would all have to chip in.

How nuts would it be to build not just a soccer stadium, but a new MSG there as well? I checked and both RBA and the current MSG would fit on the land with enough room for a decent sized parking structure or building for retail and offices.

Ok maybe that's a little nuts, but can't be too far fetched... right?

carlton.gif

You know... here's another idea that hasn't been mentioned but has a basis in reality, not to say Etihad Island is crazy or anything.

Governor Cuomo has previously stated his intention to tear down the failing Jacob Javits center and redevelop that area. He wants to build a convention center near the Aqueduct Race track instead. Though that idea itself seems to have lost steam.

The site is large enough to hold not just a soccer stadium, but also the required parking lots. I don't think that many lots are required just because of all the parking lots in the area already servicing MSG and Penn Station.

Here's where it can get even crazier, it's no secret the city and state want to renovate Penn Station and have said they might kick MSG out in 2023, the whole thing would cost billions but you'd assume, the city, state and feds would all have to chip in.

How nuts would it be to build not just a soccer stadium, but a new MSG there as well? I checked and both RBA and the current MSG would fit on the land with enough room for a decent sized parking structure or building for retail and offices.

Reaction of the Toe:
said-too-much.gif

It's a good idea. A lot would have to happen to make it work.

With the desire for a new convention center, I've often thought that a great option for us would be an indoor stadium that would double as a convention center when we aren't using it. We could have a pitch that rolls in and out of the building as they do at the Arizona Cardinals stadium in Glendale. Roll it out when the conventions are in town and let the grass grow. Roll it back in to let the Blues run their opponents off the field.

Reactions: Kjbert
Honestly, I hadn't heard anything other than fan speculation about this. IF it comes to pass, it's an absolute home run. We're talking a lot of money here, but like NYCFCfan NYCFCfan said, might be there's a chance to get some funding from the city/state to help with the process. It's probably going to take until BdB is kicked out of office for much headway to be made on the stadium, but you have to imagine CFG has already looked into this. What a huge FU it would be to everyone who said NYCFC couldn't build a stadium in the 5 boroughs, let alone in Midtown Manhattan.

Going off of this assumption, you have to imagine they'd want at least 35k seats with room for expansion.

The site is large enough to hold not just a soccer stadium, but also the required parking lots. I don't think that many lots are required .

I say this facetiously, but can we just agree to start with the basic premise that RBA is not large enough for our needs? We'd fill it every game and 10 years down the road we're going to want to expand again anyway. Especially at this site, with the mountains that'd have to be moved, they're starting at 35k easy with room to get bigger.

And this would be the best site possible in Manhattan and the entire city - really a show stopper!

-edit- and The Toe The Toe beat me to the seating number as I wrote.

Honestly, I hadn't heard anything other than fan speculation about this. IF it comes to pass, it's an absolute home run. We're talking a lot of money here, but like NYCFCfan NYCFCfan said, might be there's a chance to get some funding from the city/state to help with the process. It's probably going to take until BdB is kicked out of office for much headway to be made on the stadium, but you have to imagine CFG has already looked into this. What a huge FU it would be to everyone who said NYCFC couldn't build a stadium in the 5 boroughs, let alone in Midtown Manhattan.

Going off of this assumption, you have to imagine they'd want at least 35k seats with room for expansion.
Yeah, this is pure speculation on my part. Literally the results of me clicking on a post in the NYC subreddit that eventually jumped around.

I say this facetiously, but can we just agree to start with the basic premise that RBA is not large enough for our needs? We'd fill it every game and 10 years down the road we're going to want to expand again anyway. Especially at this site, with the mountains that'd have to be moved, they're starting at 35k easy with room to get bigger.

And this would be the best site possible in Manhattan and the entire city - really a show stopper!

-edit- and The Toe The Toe beat me to the seating number as I wrote.

Seems like there's more momentum to expand the current Javitz Center rather than move it: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/n...billion-expansion-for-javits-center.html?_r=0

That said, it's probably the most plausible Manhattan solution proposed so far. Calgary had something similar proposed: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/calgarynext-arena-and-stadium.jpg

And Russia is building one in Moscow for the 2018 World Cup called VTB Arena, apparently:

dynamo_stadium_rusia_worlds_cup.jpg

EDIT: These are the final renderings that's actually getting built, with a capacity of about 27k in the soccer side and 15k in the arena, which is just about perfect for us:

10949.jpg

hapFemG.jpg

Imagine...... Etihad Field at Madison Square Garden, home of the Knicks, Rangers, and NYCFC (aka Hudson Yards Kickers). 34th and 11th. One block from the 7 train terminus, three avenues from Penn Station. The High Line Brigade starts their march to the match one hour before each game...

Last edited:
Seems like there's more momentum to expand the current Javitz Center rather than move it: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/n...billion-expansion-for-javits-center.html?_r=0

That said, it's probably the most plausible Manhattan solution proposed so far. Calgary had something similar proposed: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/calgarynext-arena-and-stadium.jpg

And Russia is building one in Moscow for the 2018 World Cup called VTB Arena, apparently:

...Etihad Field at Madison Square Garden, home of the Knicks, Rangers, and NYCFC. 34th and 11th. One block from the 7 train terminus, three avenues from Penn Station. The High Line Brigade starts their march to the match one hour before each game...

And a quick Google measure of Javits and the footprint of this stadium are virtually the same. New convention hall plus two shiny stadia all in one - who could resist wanting to slap their name on that?

EDIT: These are the final renderings that's actually getting built, with a capacity of about 27k in the soccer side and 15k in the arena, which is just about perfect for us:

10949.jpg

hapFemG.jpg

Imagine...... Etihad Field at Madison Square Garden, home of the Knicks, Rangers, and NYCFC (aka Hudson Yards Kickers). 34th and 11th. One block from the 7 train terminus, three avenues from Penn Station. The High Line Brigade starts their march to the match one hour before each game...
27k seats is perfect, but it can also be expanded.

"The football stadium will have a capacity of 27,000 that can be adjusted up to 45,000 or down to an undisclosed number while the arena will have a base capacity of 12,000 that can be expanded up to 15,000 or down to another undisclosed number"

image.jpeg

10949.jpg

hapFemG.jpg

USA 2026

That will be the final push needed to get the stadium done. Voting next year on it, a world class stadium in New York City would be a shoe in, as long as they have sufficient capacity.

Though obviously a decade in Yankee Stadium isn't something I'd like to see happen.

USA 2026

That will be the final push needed to get the stadium done. Voting next year on it, a world class stadium in New York City would be a shoe in, as long as they have sufficient capacity.

Though obviously a decade in Yankee Stadium isn't something I'd like to see happen.
So you're saying we'd build a 65k seat stadium for a WC final... That's a lot of STH to sign up.

So you're saying we'd build a 65k seat stadium for a WC final... That's a lot of STH to sign up.
I believe the requirement is 80k stadium to host the finals, 6ok for semifinals, and 40k for regular games. I looked it up on wikipedia and the US currently has 25 80k+ stadiums (including MetLife), 80 60k+ stadiums, and well over 100 40k stadiums.

BMO field in Toronto is at 30k capacity and looking pretty sweet after renovations. They also have their north end that doesn't really have many seats that they can build up to 40k+.

Canada's bid is one thing but if the WC is in the U.S., you have to believe that all the games are going to be at high capacity NFL stadiums. I think the great thing about the U.S. bid is that we don't have to build anything to host.

I believe the requirement is 80k stadium to host the finals, 6ok for semifinals, and 40k for regular games. I looked it up on wikipedia and the US currently has 25 80k+ stadiums (including MetLife), 80 60k+ stadiums, and well over 100 40k stadiums.

BMO field in Toronto is at 30k capacity and looking pretty sweet after renovations. They also have their north end that doesn't really have many seats that they can build up to 40k+.

Canada's bid is one thing but if the WC is in the U.S., you have to believe that all the games are going to be at high capacity NFL stadiums. I think the great thing about the U.S. bid is that we don't have to build anything to host.
Even if NYCFC was only able to host a semi-final, it'd be monsterous to do it in Manhattan. Ah, we can dream...

Another question about a 2026 bid - can multiple venues in the same metropolitan area host? That way, we could build a 40,000 seater for the group stages and let MetLife possibly host the final?

Another question about a 2026 bid - can multiple venues in the same metropolitan area host? That way, we could build a 40,000 seater for the group stages and let MetLife possibly host the final?
Yeah but if you are WC organizers why do you give up the ability to sell 45k tickets?