Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Home side of Columbia is concrete stand (2nd pic) and the represents majority of the seating but away side (1st pic) is basically metal bleacher and easily replaced and expanded, could add temporary seating at the ends and maybe get to 22-23 K in total at best

View attachment 4959 View attachment 4960
With the seating like that, good luck hearing the SG's sing if sitting on the same side of the field.....

Columbia is still the only temporary facility in NYC outside of YS that would be remotely feasible, mainly based on current seating and space to add more temporary seats, and it comes with many, many drawbacks. Citifield would just be more of the same as YS
Citi Field would be worse as even the small pitch we have now won't fit. Pretty sure I have one of those diagrams in here somewhere maybe a thousand pages ago.

Edit: only page 272, so not as far back as I thought: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/page-272#post-140443

Last edited:
I think we're right to not be happy.

They might have the worst PR department in professional sports, considering the market and the sport. The bigger issue is that they don't tell us anything. Look at what SKC and Portland do - model your fan connection to Heinnemann and Paulson.

I think we're right to not be happy.

They might have the worst PR department in professional sports, considering the market and the sport. The bigger issue is that they don't tell us anything. Look at what SKC and Portland do - model your fan connection to Heinnemann and Paulson.
We'd have to have an owner who's actually been to a game in order to do that.

On top of that, I think the energy is starting to wane and the disadvantages of having seats misconfigured for the sport, and a supporters section horribly suited for vocal sound projection are coming to the fore.

For all that there's not much to be done and we'll have to suck it up as fans.

It would be great if YS would consider at least consider a temporary fix to the acoustic issues with some sort of speaker/mic array that would carry supporter noise across stadium. Football teams do this (illegally) all the time, and soccer teams do it as well. It is often shunned as unauthentic etc., but we have true logistical issues making it necessary. R roxfontaine any discussion about this?

Reactions: Kjbert
I think CFG is in the absolute hardest stages of getting anything together right now. They're spreading out to gather as much info, as much influence and as much backing (political, monetary, etc.) as possible, and it's the absolute worst part of the process, and not only that, you're competing with other billionaires for parcels, and waiting for the perfect lot of land to come about, even if there are some areas you find more desirable than others. And not only is it generally difficult, but this is New York City, which makes matters 1000x more complicated than anywhere else in the country. I said before, the majority of the info I got earlier was a net negative, and the no-news pretty deafeningly shouts the same tone. If only we could build upwards to account for all the space we need for the damn stadium.

It would be great if YS would consider at least consider a temporary fix to the acoustic issues with some sort of speaker/mic array that would carry supporter noise across stadium. Football teams do this (illegally) all the time, and soccer teams do it as well. It is often shunned as unauthentic etc., but we have true logistical issues making it necessary. R roxfontaine any discussion about this?

Yes. Nothing is as simple as just trying it out though. With amplified sound, we'd hit any and/or all of the following:

- YS won't allow and/or pay for micing the section.
- YS won't create a removable cover for the bleacher that would help our sound.
- People will complain about amplification as you mentioned
- This would up the ante on language in the section creating another point of contention

Ultimately, none of that really matters in my estimation. What matters to me is people singing/chanting together. It CAN be heard if the voices are working as one sound. Right now, we have probably 10.

Couple thoughts.

I still think this is a pet project for CFG.

I know RB and DC took a while, but MLS is different now. I don't care that it's NYC. Anything more than a stadium within 5 years from 1st game should be unacceptable by the fans and the league.

I guarantee the fan base and sth numbers will slowly decline. Between the product, lack of atmosphere at games, playing in a baseball stadium, etc...this is the what most would categorize as a novelty at this stage. That's not a good thing when trying to build a brand and club.

Couple thoughts.

I still think this is a pet project for CFG.

I know RB and DC took a while, but MLS is different now. I don't care that it's NYC. Anything more than a stadium within 5 years from 1st game should be unacceptable by the fans and the league.

I guarantee the fan base and sth numbers will slowly decline. Between the product, lack of atmosphere at games, playing in a baseball stadium, etc...this is the what most would categorize as a novelty at this stage. That's not a good thing when trying to build a brand and club.

Considering all the red tape and potential litigation that the project will attract just as a matter of course, I'm willing to cut them a little slack on the five year threshold. Look at how long and drawn out Atlantic Yards was, after all. That said, they need to give us SOMETHING by the end of the year or else I'm going to start reconsidering the time and money I put into this club.*

(*Not that I'd give up on being a fan - the idea behind NYCFC is way too important to give up on entirely. But we should be prepared to use what leverage we have.)

Considering all the red tape and potential litigation that the project will attract just as a matter of course, I'm willing to cut them a little slack on the five year threshold. Look at how long and drawn out Atlantic Yards was, after all. That said, they need to give us SOMETHING by the end of the year or else I'm going to start reconsidering the time and money I put into this club.*

(*Not that I'd give up on being a fan - the idea behind NYCFC is way too important to give up on entirely. But we should be prepared to use what leverage we have.)
I'm definitely dropping from 2 season tickets to one. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me to watch from home next season.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

Well they were founded 3 years ago...so from conception to first game + five, that's almost 8 years. If the plan is to be in Yankee stadium for 10 years, they will be a 15k a game team. Then they will question even having their own stadium. They will inevitably start losing people.

The problem is, it's all speculation.

I swear though. If Trump has his wall before our stadium, I'm out.

Well they were founded 3 years ago...so from conception to first game + five, that's almost 8 years. If the plan is to be in Yankee stadium for 10 years, they will be a 15k a game team. Then they will question even having their own stadium. They will inevitably start losing people.

The problem is, it's all speculation.

I swear though. If Trump has his wall before our stadium, I'm out.
team performance would play into it though. If in Yankee Stadium with same results? yes, 15K. In YS with a hardware winning team, they'll keep the joint packed. NY loves a winner

There's no stadium news because there's been no real estate news in the city. Nothing new is available and every option the club has looked at has been exhausted. There will only be new developments if city politics change (i.e. someone steps in the GAL site location deal) or something comes up for sale.

There's no stadium news because there's been no real estate news in the city. Nothing new is available and every option the club has looked at has been exhausted. There will only be new developments if city politics change (i.e. someone steps in the GAL site location deal) or something comes up for sale.

...or until Empty Suit Bill is outta office.

I'm definitely dropping from 2 season tickets to one. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me to watch from home next season.

To get on record, I was a season ticket holder last year. I didn't renew. I love soccer, I love New York soccer, and I don't plan on going to New Jersey anytime soon. But that alone isn't going to get me to buy your product, CFG, just because it exists.

I went to the derby. With 14 friends along for their first game. One had been talking excitedly for a while about getting season tickets in the supporters' section. He's not even a soccer fan, he just likes the soccer atmosphere he's been hearing about. At the end of the game, he handed me the scarf I gave him back. CFG made $35 off him, and could have made $100's or $1,000's.

Hey intern, my friends didn't give two shits about "Super" Frank Lampard subbing on. They wanted a good atmosphere and a competitive team. They left laughing at the club. Communicate that to your supervisor.