Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Meet adam adam Head of the Forums Welcoming Committee.
It's fine, I never post here (mostly on Reddit) but I've been reading the Stadium Thread since time immemorial.

Also I'm not convinced that the Cosmos are going away again so soon. Commisso has the money to keep them afloat in some form or another and he's not a moron, so I don't think he would have bought the team if he didn't think they had some kind of future. Besides, even just having them along for an initial bid might build some good will. If they collapse before the place opens its gates, it doesn't matter as long as CFG is willing to pick up the tab.

It's fine, I never post here (mostly on Reddit) but I've been reading the Stadium Thread since time immemorial.

Also I'm not convinced that the Cosmos are going away again so soon. Commisso has the money to keep them afloat in some form or another and he's not a moron, so I don't think he would have bought the team if he didn't think they had some kind of future. Besides, even just having them along for an initial bid might build some good will. If they collapse before the place opens its gates, it doesn't matter as long as CFG is willing to pick up the tab.
I honestly believe that the team is further along than people think at securing a location for a stadium and also believe that it's in one of the obvious spots. With that aside, I am not sure what the upside would be of joining forces with the Cosmos. First, I don't think that a financial contribution is a game-changer for CFG. I also believe that CFG has a meticulous mindset as to how assets/projects are designed, developed and run, and therefore I suspect that the preference would to not be in a share beyond the 80/20-ish one they have in other ventures (Japan aside) which probably wouldn't be feasible here, since we are not just talking about an investment split, we are talking about two products. Assuming I am incorrect about independent progress, I also just don't know how much lobbying/progression influence we gain by joining forces. I assume that it may help, but I also do not think that the effect would be substantial.

I lean against the idea because I don't see a ton to gain. However, if any/all of my assumptions are incorrect, I could come around.

I honestly believe that the team is further along than people think at securing a location for a stadium and also believe that it's in one of the obvious spots. With that aside, I am not sure what the upside would be of joining forces with the Cosmos. First, I don't think that a financial contribution is a game-changer for CFG. I also believe that CFG has a meticulous mindset as to how assets/projects are designed, developed and run, and therefore I suspect that the preference would to not be in a share beyond the 80/20-ish one they have in other ventures (Japan aside) which probably wouldn't be feasible here, since we are not just talking about an investment split, we are talking about two products. Assuming I am incorrect about independent progress, I also just don't know how much lobbying/progression influence we gain by joining forces. I assume that it may help, but I also do not think that the effect would be substantial.

I lean against the idea because I don't see a ton to gain. However, if any/all of my assumptions are incorrect, I could come around.
If they really are moving along well on an independent plan, then of course that is the best case scenario and the Cosmos thing is a non-starter. If not, then from the city's point of view, and the point of view of residents who don't care about soccer, doesn't a shared stadium make a ton of sense? That's why I think it might help build good will. It immediately becomes a multi-purpose venue (if we count two soccer teams as different purposes) and it reinforces that NYCFC is willing to work with others in the community.

The question of ownership percentage is a problem mostly if the Cosmos still have MLS aspirations. I don't think a Giants/Jets solution is a good idea, but a MLS/NASL venue share (i.e. a major league team and a minor league team) with NYCFC the controlling and more prominent tenant and maybe some Cosmos flags in the bathrooms wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
I can't see CFG going for this. Cosmos are also a Long Island team. I hope the stadium isn't anywhere close to their fan base because it probably means I couldn't get to the location.

Reactions: BxLio91 and JayH
Something else to consider - the longer we stay in the Bronx, the more we become a Bronx team with a fan base comfortable with a Bronx location. At this point, if a stadium site is announced this Spring, you're looking at a 4 year build. So 6 years in the Bronx. Tough to make a fan base accommodate a move.

Something else to consider - the longer we stay in the Bronx, the more we become a Bronx team with a fan base comfortable with a Bronx location. At this point, if a stadium site is announced this Spring, you're looking at a 4 year build. So 6 years in the Bronx. Tough to make a fan base accommodate a move.
Depends on where the site is. Some supporters may be happy not to commute to the Bronx. The Fresh Direct site across the river would be nearly perfect.

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
I think CFG will insist on controlling any stadium built with its money to house its team. I could see them agreeing to allow the Cosmos to play there if it helps get a deal done, but CFG is going to own it, and NYCFC would get first choice of dates, all the signage, etc.

Reactions: Kjbert
Speculation:

The stadium will be on the GAL/Parking Garage site and it will be announced by the end of 2018. They are lining up every possible duck behind the scenes and waiting on the 2017 mayoral election before attempting to negotiate with the city again. The political climate for this stuff goes up and down, and we are in a trough right now. Makes sense to wait it out for a few years to see it the sun comes out, so to speak.

Only problem: De Blasio is a good bet to win reelection. Would we play ball in his final term? Would he be willing to loosen up a bit? Hopefully it's just not a four year extension to our stadium search.

giphy.gif

I think CFG will insist on controlling any stadium built with its money to house its team. I could see them agreeing to allow the Cosmos to play there if it helps get a deal done, but CFG is going to own it, and NYCFC would get first choice of dates, all the signage, etc.
There are some drawbacks to club ownership. If the city owns the stadium, we do not have to pay property tax.

but isint there rent to pay...and also may get screwed out of dates for games ( such as US OPEN CUP and CCL & Friendlies) if city owned stadium
Land that Yankee Stadium is built on is city owned. Yankees pay zero dollars in property tax and have complete control over the stadium.