• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I think what we can realistically take from this is
  • confirmation of actual talks between the club and city officials, including at city hall and at least the Queens boro prez
  • Willets Point is on the table
  • Willets Point is not necessarily likely -- "should anything sports-related get built"
  • whether somewhere else is more likely is completely unknown
  • The CitiField parking lot area is on the table for the Islanders, as is Belmont. I have to think they are for us as well, at least from city officials POV, even if the club is likely to reject the Belmont option as much as it can.

Yup. I suspect that they're really starting to worry that the Court of Appeals will rule against them on Willets West - in which case, the uncertainty (both legal and economic) that will settle over the developments on either side of CitiField could unravel the whole thing so it's worth finally reconsidering Plan B, hence the little trial balloons suddenly floating up.

Honestly, theres ALOT of land in that area of queens beaide Willets Point. Look up Flushing airport. NY Tines printing facility (whih is for sale including the land). Theres a korean resturant depot for sale by flushjng right on the water (across from the highway). Hell, they can add garbage land and 6 feet of dirt to the already existing coastline and make land (my house is built on that type of land so i knownits somewhat stable)

Honestly, theres ALOT of land in that area of queens beaide Willets Point. Look up Flushing airport. NY Tines printing facility (whih is for sale including the land). Theres a korean resturant depot for sale by flushjng right on the water (across from the highway). Hell, they can add garbage land and 6 feet of dirt to the already existing coastline and make land (my house is built on that type of land so i knownits somewhat stable)
no thanks
giphy.gif

Reactions: LostAnvil and adam
The word "stadium" is nowhere in the feasibility study.

Well, they do mention sports and arenas for basketball and handball.

Here's the pitch: NYCFC, City in the Community, City Football Group, Abu Dhabi, etc. etc. etc. write a large check to NYC to help fund this initiative. For our support, a SSS is built, we sign a crazy long lease from the city to be the tenants. Or we get a private-public land deal or something to build our stadium.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Well, they do mention sports and arenas for basketball and handball.

Here's the pitch: NYCFC, City in the Community, City Football Group, Abu Dhabi, etc. etc. etc. write a large check to NYC to help fund this initiative. For our support, a SSS is built, we sign a crazy long lease from the city to be the tenants. Or we get a private-public land deal or something to build our stadium.

Why do you assume that Abu Dhabi has any interest in writing a big check? If they did, wouldn't we already be playing our home games in HP Glaser Stadium?

Reactions: Kjbert
Still not convinced they're working very hard on a stadium

I'm not. Trust me. I think that may be a reason they're not working very hard
I have doubts myself that it's reasonably possible. But then what's the end game? That includes not only where the team will play long term, presumably YS but if there's another option that too, and then most importantly what is the PR explanation for that result? Do they just pretend to try for 5 years and then announce it's just too damn hard?

I'm not. Trust me. I think that may be a reason they're not working very hard
If the FO is not working very hard - not saying they aren't working at all - it could be because they've run up against a brick wall at city hall and are biding their time until the next election. Throwing resources and capital at politicians that are on record with wanting their #1 priority to be housing is a losing venture; the biggest problem though is that BdB is having a small renaissance being a voice of resistance to Washington regarding sanctuary city status, rights, etc, and therefore is garnering more support than he's typically had. It's just a shitty situation/political landscape for CFG to be navigating. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be working on it, and I hope they're doing what they need to on the private side by negotiating purchases with private entities in/around their desired location (GAL site, Fresh direct site, etc). The whole thing is shrouded in mystery because of the lack of press.

I have doubts myself that it's reasonably possible. But then what's the end game? That includes not only where the team will play long term, presumably YS but if there's another option that too, and then most importantly what is the PR explanation for that result? Do they just pretend to try for 5 years and then announce it's just too damn hard?

Sure. why not? They already have our money and have already developed a fan base. How many people REALLY care that the team gets its own stadium? 5,000? Less?

Reactions: adam