Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Per the EOS report that Dan posted above, no one has reached out to Katz with interest in the WP site since she made her speech.

As Dan said, that would give the appearance of the club having its sights set elsewhere. Perhaps this is why:

“Nothing is going there until we clean it up and it will be years until we clean it up.”

ETA: There does seem to be some desperation on Katz' part; perhaps that creates some leverage for someone with deep pockets who wants a major concession in return....

Last edited:
So we either have a spot picked out and are working on it (Bronx) or we just aren't interested

Or Willets Point was previously slated for a mixed use community with a 100 page re-zoning manual and renderings available. And with the proposed mall, that is the highest and best use. However, with the court looks like it will rule that they can only use it for a stadium. So better play nice to the only team that has a chance of going there right now. Otherwise, the jets will move there in 20 odd years.

It's important to rehash the Willets Point mall issue and court case so that people are accurate on the fine points.

The plan was never to build the mall in Willets Point. The plan was to build the mall on the Citi Field parking lots and use the proceeds from the mall to subsidize affordable housing in the Willets Point triangle (see post immediately above). Without some kind of extra money, housing on Willets point can't get done as planned.

The court ruling was that since Flushing is a park, potential uses of its land are limited by state law. You can build park amenities, which apparently includes sport stadiums, but you can't build retail. Unless the state amends the law, the mall will not be built.

One alternative would be to have NYCFC pay for the right to build a soccer stadium in the parking lot and that money would subsidize the housing project instead.

Apparently, the Mets have a great deal of control over what happens on the land covered by those parking lots, which was a really dumb concession by the city and/or state. Nothing gets built there without their approval.

If the currently planned housing project doesn't go forward, another alternative would be some mixed use, which might include a stadium or arena. I don't think the Wilpons could block something like that, but maybe they have some existing arrangement with the City on Willets Point.​

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't build parking structures on the parking lots at Citi Field. They have an incredible amount of land for parking

You could easily put our stadium in the far end of the parking lots from Citi Field and put flat lots and garages in the middle with even more parking spaces.
stop being logical, this isn't the place for simple solutions. More etihad island ideas, less stadium in open space next to existing public transportation and highways with ample parking. do you not know what this thread is about?

Take a look at what Philadelphia has done. They have utilized the land and shared parking spaces. If I had to walk 1/4 mile from a parking lot to the stadium, who cares. Very smart planning down there.

As Dan said, that would give the appearance of the club having its sights set elsewhere. Perhaps this is why:

“Nothing is going there until we clean it up and it will be years until we clean it up.”
If the time frame doesn't fit the teams then it's safe to assume we are looking to begin construction within the next 1-2 years.
Otherwise it could just be that we don't want that location for other reasons.

Reactions: Kjbert
Came across this today. NYCFC has never said how much they're charged (if any) to use Yankee Stadium for their home games.

Well Rutgers is forking over $750k to use the stadium for one game.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...utgers_paying_to_stage_maryland_twinbill.html

that's awful. I hope we would have a break. We can do the math on how much ticket gross revenue is per game (average crowd times average ticket price - I've worked it to be around $900,000 per game gross).

Then you have to pay everyone.

that's awful. I hope we would have a break. We can do the math on how much ticket gross revenue is per game (average crowd times average ticket price - I've worked it to be around $900,000 per game gross).

Then you have to pay everyone.

I hope we don't get a break, and it's more incentive to build our own.

Apologize in advance if this has already had light shed on it.

I spoke with my rep today. I was talking about seating and I brought up new stadium rumors (I always try and goad her into divulging stadium plans). She guaranteed me that the stadium will be built within the 5 boroughs. She mentioned that CFG appreciates and understands the importance of that.

That made me happy.

I spoke with my rep today. I was talking about seating and I brought up new stadium rumors (I always try and goad her into divulging stadium plans). She guaranteed me that the stadium will be built within the 5 boroughs. She mentioned that CFG appreciates and understands the importance of that.

That made me happy.
I cringe that she said the Five Boroughs and didn't automatically rule out Staten Island.... if they ever enact that as the fallback option, their game day numbers will plummet.

That made me happy.

I hope my great grandchildren appreciate our sacrifices when they get our foundational bricks.

I cringe that she said the Five Boroughs and didn't automatically rule out Staten Island.... if they ever enact that as the fallback option, their game day numbers will plummet.
Agreed. I would assume they are informed of that general sentiment among supporters.

The little things are making me happy at this point. I'm delighted we are ruling out NJ, LI(Born and raised) and Westchester. NYCFC has to be in NYC

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich