Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
If the FO is not working very hard - not saying they aren't working at all - it could be because they've run up against a brick wall at city hall and are biding their time until the next election. Throwing resources and capital at politicians that are on record with wanting their #1 priority to be housing is a losing venture; the biggest problem though is that BdB is having a small renaissance being a voice of resistance to Washington regarding sanctuary city status, rights, etc, and therefore is harming more support than he's typically had. It's just a shitty situation/political landscape for CFG to be navigating. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be working on it, and I hope they're doing what they need to on the private side by negotiating purchases with private entities in/around their desired location (GAL site, Fresh direct site, etc). The whole thing is shrouded in mystery because of the lack of press.

If the issue REALLY was De Blasio I doubt he would be at the games. They would never go for that. If he wanted to come, he'd be buying his own ticket. I think we overestimate Bill as a brick wall here. The guy has the backbone of a jellyfish.

Reactions: mgarbowski and adam
Willets Point seems the path of least resistance at the moment.

Looking like the Islanders won't go there. If I had to bet, the Isles wind up back at the Coliseum with an size exemption from Bettman and extra luxury boxes installed over time.

WP is right next to the original location the MLS wanted. Might even be better because it's on the water and room for its own parking lot. It has plenty of room to build. Seems to only be zoned for a stadium (unless appeals Court turns out differrently then expected). We have support from local politicians. And I know first hand that anyone there who hasn't already sold to the EDC wants out ASAP. Just put a little effort behind it and there could be a shovel in the ground by next spring.

NYCFC is City in the Community is City Football Group is Abu Dhabi.
Yes, which is why I suggested that if they wanted to write a big check, they would have written it to GAL and built a stadium named after their founder, Herbert P Glaser.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
The wording is open to them charging for it but I don't think that's what was intended:
Now they might offer an opportunity to purchase a replica, but having the name on the wall should be free. Also note no actual mention of bricks.

Call me a cynic, but if they weren't intending to charge for it, the line would have just been "Your name etched in stone etc etc".

Also, from that same email, DATED JULY 28, 2014, "You probably saw we recently signed England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard as our second Designated Player."

Call me a cynic, but if they weren't intending to charge for it, the line would have just been "Your name etched in stone etc etc".

Also, from that same email, DATED JULY 28, 2014, "You probably saw we recently signed England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard as our second Designated Player."
I think the "opportunity" hedge is where they hid the requirement that you remain a STH until the new stadium opens. Some people already got caught by that and complained to no avail.

If the FO is not working very hard - not saying they aren't working at all - it could be because they've run up against a brick wall at city hall and are biding their time until the next election. Throwing resources and capital at politicians that are on record with wanting their #1 priority to be housing is a losing venture; the biggest problem though is that BdB is having a small renaissance being a voice of resistance to Washington regarding sanctuary city status, rights, etc, and therefore is garnering more support than he's typically had. It's just a shitty situation/political landscape for CFG to be navigating. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be working on it, and I hope they're doing what they need to on the private side by negotiating purchases with private entities in/around their desired location (GAL site, Fresh direct site, etc). The whole thing is shrouded in mystery because of the lack of press.

I'm not aware of an issue that money alone won't solve when it comes to the GAL site. GAL was willing to sell, the MTA was willing to work with us, and the parking garages are a money pit for the city. I disagree with adam adam and would say this site is easily our path of least resistance.

So why haven't we built yet? My best guess is we are waiting to see if we can save $10's or $100's of millions of dollars on the site under a new mayor. Worst case scenario is that CFG decided against investing that much money in the team and think Yankee Stadium is more or less sufficient for the foreseeable future.

I still think we will build on the GAL site eventually. Whether that's by the end of this decade or by the end of next, we shall see.

So why haven't we built yet? My best guess is we are waiting to see if we can save $10's or $100's of millions of dollars on the site under a new mayor. Worst case scenario is that CFG decided against investing that much money in the team and think Yankee Stadium is more or less sufficient for the foreseeable future.

Almost certainly a factor. From their perspective that calculus seems to be that sure, pumping $10 or so million into an affordable housing fund would pretty much guarantee you a compliant City Hall, but why spend that money if you may not have to a little down the road?

How many RBA can we fit over this?
how many RBA's can we fit in queensbridge? I mean seriously that place suck, just raze it to the ground and disperse the populous to the 80/20 condos in Manhattan, then put our stadium on that sweet sweet waterfront real estate.

Edit: obviously being tongue-in-cheek in case anyone is wondering. I mean the place really does suck, that's real, but the likelihood of relocating people seen as "vulnerable" to put a stadium up will get zero political support even if there were enough brand new midtown condos to house them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
So we either have a spot picked out and are working on it (Bronx) or we just aren't interested
The kick in the face would be if we turn down WP, while the Kosmos jump in there for a 25k stadium built in three years but only ever fills 20%, and we can't get GAL done....

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
The variable here is what does it cost? It's not just an open piece of space right? Isn't it a SuperFund site or something?

W/r/t Sunnyside yards specifically, it's a dream location for me. Great for mass transit. But for anyone driving, it's a nightmare.

There is no highway access. The closest is the L.I.E., and from there they will either be routing cars 3/4 of a mile up Van Dam and then NE into that "core yard" area the article highlights. This would either cut off traffic to the lower level of the QB bridge, or else send hundreds (thousands?) of vehicles through the middle of a residential neighborhood (Sunnyside). Can't see that working. Even though I wish it would.